Newbie Questions

1. does peercoin minting rely on gpu or cpu power?
  2. is there like a guide for hardware needed for minting effectively?
  3. do i need to leave my computer/laptop 24/7 straight for 30 or 90 days to actually gain something?
  4. how much coins can i make if i left my computer for 30 days? and 90 days?
  5. if i dont plan to mint, is it safe to leave my coins in my vaultofsatoshi account?
  6. minting is OPTIONAL, right?

Thanks

A few quick answers:

1. does peercoin minting rely on gpu or cpu power?
    CPU only (edit: I’m assuming you are referring to minting (proof-of-stake) as opposite to mining (proof-of-work), see post Irritant below)

2. is there like a guide for hardware needed for minting effectively?
    Low power hardware. Reports of 20% CPU power on RaspberryPI. So any up to 10 years old PC would work, just mind the energy consumption of those old computers

3. do i need to leave my computer/laptop 24/7 straight for 30 or 90 days to actually gain something?
    No, only after 30-90 days you have to keep your computer on for a couple of hours or days or weeks depending on the number of coins and coinage

4. how much coins can i make if i left my computer for 30 days? and 90 days?
    See 3 doesn’t matter. What matters is the number of coins left untouched for 30-90 days
    There is a couple of threads about minting and coinage. Just check the posts I did recently as I’m trying to understand this better myself.

5. if i dont plan to mint, is it safe to leave my coins in my vaultofsatoshi account?
    As long as you trust them and you have a strong password (>12 random characters) and two-way authentication (password+e.g. yubikey or Google authenticator) to protect your account, I would say yes.

6. minting is OPTIONAL, right?
    Yes, but by doing so you would help the network to be stronger.

Edit: minting/mining

thanks for the answers.

i have 1 laptop only, that is my everything, i play games, do my work, browse. so i guess i should not mint or mine then, i might destroy my laptop.

few more questions

1. is laptop CPU good enough? i have i7 3612QM.

2. based from number 3 question, you mean that when i added my coins into the peercoin client, then i can close the client, open it back after 90 days. correct?

3. mining is GPU power or CPU? i have GT 740M. good enough or bad?

You can still mint on your laptop. It wouldn’t really affect any i7 processor. Games would use mainly GPU anyway.

Re 2. Yes, you can close client/wallet and leave it for 90 days and then open it and start minting. The what is called coinage still accumulates (remember your coins are not actually in your wallet).

Re 3. I’m not the mining expert, but I understand that mining PPCs and to lesser extent XPM with just one laptop or PC is a waste of time, unless you get your power free and get multiple GPUs for 50% of normal price in your PC. Mining is very intensive for GPU and is likely to reduce the lifespan of your PC/laptop/GPU over time. With how much is anyone’s guess and depends on build quality and proper cooling. Buying PPC or XPM for the cost of GPU and electricity is a better deal.

If you still consider mining (for fun) or want to understand what your GPU would contribute I would sign up with a mining pool to increase your chance on some return. Look for mining pools in the threads in this forum.

To the comment above, careful mining on a laptop. I did that, with an older laptop, but I ended up frying the laptop. The amount I got from mining with it was not even close to what it was worth.

hi all…thanks for the info :slight_smile:

i wont be minting or mining. sry if i cant contribute in PPC community.

i cant risk my laptop even though it has good specs.

[quote=“catcoin98814, post:7, topic:1325”]i wont be minting or mining. sry if i cant contribute in PPC community.

i cant risk my laptop even though it has good specs.[/quote]

100 ways to contribute, that’s just one. If you filled out the volunpeer survey, I’ll have some tasks for everyone toward the end of the week.

oh hai there

hai to you too…

hmm

hello coinotron, great to see you here :slight_smile:

Fuzzybear

Almost made a new thread, but a lot of my quick answers here. Thanks guys looks to be a great board and I’m excited to be a part of Peer coin!

I am SGT. Peer

You all honor me,you make this Sergeant proud.

I salute you all!!!

I am impressed with the willingness to help newcomers here. Very promising sign for the community.

Just to check; Am I right that you only need to make 1 backup of the wallet.dat file using the peercoin wallet? If you backup your wallet and add funds afterwards will you still have access to all funds from the old backup? Pretty sure that’s right but read a thread (possibly old) saying to make regular backups of bitcoin wallets.

One backup should be adequate, more backups can be useful if you want more security. Harddisks and USB sticks do break from time to time!
No need to make regular backups though. Transactions are in the blockchain, not in your wallet.dat.

Its best to take a couple of backups and store them in different places.

People have (myself included) had their wallet.dat file become corrupted. This can happen just from the way the wallet.dat file has been stored (in an email that encrypted it and corrupted it in the process) so just having another file somewhere you can try should you discover issues when trying to use one of your backups.

The wallet.dat file stores 100 PPC addresses the first time it loads… so you can create a backup off the first fresh wallet… add addresses and receive coins… then if you load your back up you will see that the coins appear in the wallet under the addresses… but the addresses have no label names.

This said though it is prudent to take a backup after a large transaction to your current wallet.dat again just to be sure you have not exceeded the 100 addresses… as a wallet adding more address that this will be unique to the backup you originally created.

We should write up a tested guide in the wiki about backing up wallet.dat files but hope this helps

Fuzzybear

Its best to take a couple of backups and store them in different places.

People have (myself included) had their wallet.dat file become corrupted. This can happen just from the way the wallet.dat file has been stored (in an email that encrypted it and corrupted it in the process) so just having another file somewhere you can try should you discover issues when trying to use one of your backups.

The wallet.dat file stores 100 PPC addresses the first time it loads… so you can create a backup off the first fresh wallet… add addresses and receive coins… then if you load your back up you will see that the coins appear in the wallet under the addresses… but the addresses have no label names.

This said though it is prudent to take a backup after a large transaction to your current wallet.dat again just to be sure you have not exceeded the 100 addresses… as a wallet adding more address that this will be unique to the backup you originally created.

We should write up a tested guide in the wiki about backing up wallet.dat files but hope this helps

Fuzzybear[/quote]
@FB, now you make me feel like a newbie again. :o

Agree with you, mulitple backups on different media can be useful as I said in my post.
But you lost me with the 100 addresses, can you please explain what happens if you exceed the 100 addresses and why a backup would prevent from whatever happens then?

Thanks for the replies. Does the wallet warn you when you go over 100 addresses? I only use 1 address personally but would hate for somebody to lose coins this way.