New to Cryptocurrency

Hey all, I’m completely new to cryptocurrencies, and I picked out peercoin because I like the idea of minting, and I’ve pretty much accepted that I’m probably a couple of years too late for bitcoin :wink:

That being said, how do I actually get some peercoins in my wallet? I’ve looked at the exchange lists, is there anything like Shapeshift for USD, which doesn’t require signing up for an account?

Also, when paying for things with ppc, or selling something for ppc, what precautions can you take to make sure you don’t get scammed?

With minting, I understand that a transaction must be at least 90 days old(do you only mint off of received transactions or can you mint off of sent ones too?), but to make sure, once you have a transaction that is mintable, peerunity has to be open for minting to take place, correct?

Welcome! I’ll take your questions one at a time.

Well, I don’t think so. I would bet that most people around here own at least a little bitcoin to go with their peercoins. There’s a lot of room for potential growth in bitcoin, too.

Unfortunately, the best way to get peercoins today is still to get bitcoins first. I’ve had a good experience with Coinbase or Bitstamp to buy the bitcoins, then BTC-e to trade to get peercoins. Other forum members might have their own suggestions.

Just like with bitcoin, transactions are irreversible. Here’s one rule of thumb: “If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!” Whenever you send a payment, keep in mind that the other party has the ability to disappear with your funds. This is true for almost any cryptocurrency today.

Your transaction actually only has to be 30 days old to start having the chance to mint. After 90 days, your chances are maximized. Simply leaving your Peerunity wallet “unlocked for minting only” is all it takes to activate your chance to mint with your coins.

For more information on minting, you might enjoy a couple videos I put together: Peercoin Minting Overview for how the minting process works, and Peercoin Minting Tutorial for how to set up Peerunity for minting.

Again, welcome to the forums! Feel free to ask if any more questions that might pop into your head. :slight_smile:

[quote=“InnocentLunatic, post:1, topic:3370”]Hey all, I’m completely new to cryptocurrencies, and I picked out peercoin because I like the idea of minting, and I’ve pretty much accepted that I’m probably a couple of years too late for bitcoin :wink:

That being said, how do I actually get some peercoins in my wallet? I’ve looked at the exchange lists, is there anything like Shapeshift for USD, which doesn’t require signing up for an account?

Also, when paying for things with ppc, or selling something for ppc, what precautions can you take to make sure you don’t get scammed?

With minting, I understand that a transaction must be at least 90 days old(do you only mint off of received transactions or can you mint off of sent ones too?), but to make sure, once you have a transaction that is mintable, peerunity has to be open for minting to take place, correct?[/quote]
Just in addtion what Chronos posted:

Depending where you are from, but in Europe there are a few places where you can buy PPC instantly (e.g. litebit.eu) from your Euro bank account.
Buying Bitcoins or Peercoins can be done kind of anonymous through localbitcoins.com. Instead of trusting an exchange you need to trust the trader you are dealing with. In both cases worth looking around a bit before you send someone your money. And best not to keep coins on exchanges after you bought them. We had a number of exchange thefts recently. Just buy and transfer to your wallet.

;D Good questions… thank you. I am learning too. Just starting today to Mint

This was a good place to start for a person new to crypto like me. Thanks for the post!