New Peercoin Video LAUNCH ideas and procedure

This newsletter above is going to be mailed out to our media contact list, probably with an included intro for the press. Should we also think about purchasing the financial package from PRWeb as ppcman previously suggested?

http://service.prweb.com/pricing/

At current prices ($1.42 PPC), we would need to raise around 353 PPC to purchase the package. We wouldn’t have time to submit a proposal to the marketing fund, so this would be on us. Would anybody be interested in donating to something like this? I would. I think we should try to get as much coverage for the news contained here as possible. This seems like a small price to pay in my opinion if it means we get more media coverage.

Here is a chat with me and Yurizhai…

Sentinelrv: Here is the question, should we purchase the financial package from PRWeb for the newsletter? http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2906.msg29835#msg29835

Sentinelrv: I think we should go all out. I’ll donate some PPC for this if I have to.

Yurizhai: What does it do exactly?

Yurizhai: Interesting…

Sentinelrv: Here is the financial package page: http://service.prweb.com/pricing/package/financial/

Yurizhai: It seems pretty dope

Yurizhai: We could do a flash fundraiser for it

Sentinelrv: It basically puts our news out to thousands and thousands of people.

Yurizhai: Yeeaaaah…

Sentinelrv: All the ones that matter at least.

Sentinelrv: This is the financial package, so it would probably go out to the business community and financial people.

Yurizhai: If you are willing to throw down, I am too, we wouldn’t need that much more

Yurizhai: we created this thing

Sentinelrv: From the page: "Premium financial outlets like Yahoo! Finance, Bloomberg, the Wall Street Journal and more. "

Sentinelrv: "More than 250,000 PRWeb news subscribers and 30,000+ journalists and bloggers "

Sentinelrv: That’s a lot of people.

Yurizhai: Yeah I read, I think it’s worth a shot

Yurizhai: Could be a good start to getting interest in NuBits among other things

Sentinelrv: Yes.

Sentinelrv: I’m sure that’s not too far off.

Yurizhai: http://mywriters.com/prweb-review-service-choose-press-releases/

Yurizhai: Here’s a review of the service

Yurizhai: might want to take a look at a few, as that one is pretty positive

Yurizhai: few reviews I mean

Sentinelrv: “As a website owner and agency owners, I know how important it is to use all the tools that are available to bring more attention to my site and my clients sites. I know that one of the greatest challenges is to have a really wide reach, particularly if you consider that we only have limited time available. Besides writing content and ensuring our websites are fully up to date and following all the search engine rules rules, we also have to update our social media presence and deal with customers and employees, to name but a few things. There simply isn’t enough time to also look into building a truly strong media presence without any help. - See more at: http://mywriters.com/prweb-revie…”

Sentinelrv: “PRWeb is there to help with some of the heavy lifting. In fact, they don’t just help you, they take all the difficult parts out of your hands. Their reach is phenomenal and the positive reviews they have received are a true testament to just how good the service actually is. The impact of using press releases in this manner cannot be denied, and since you will also be provided with full tracking tools, you will easily be able to see just how big that impact actually is. Added to this that they have decent customer support to ensure the entire process is seamless.”

Sentinelrv: That’s the verdict.

Sentinelrv: I will need to read the whole thing later. I really should go to bed. I’ll post our chat first on that video thread.

Yurizhai: Sounds good. See ya.

I think there is value in the PRweb offering, but as said before I would wait for Nubits of other news with that. For the video and newsletter our own PR list should be able to get the word out. It is also a good way to test the reach and validity of our own list.

BTW @sentinelrv, did you already get all addresses into mailchimp or other mailers?

A couple of points:

i) the screenshots/images in the newsletter seem too big - can you try reducing them by half?

ii) To my mind, there is a difference between a newsletter and a news release. A newsletter is for regular followers, updating on various topics that have happened. A news release concerns one topic, that is happening now, or is about to happen.

To put it another way, a “newsletter” is, by definition, something that is already published. A journalist does not want news that is second-hand. A news release is something that is yet to be in a newsletter

I agree with Cybnate/PPC Marketing Fund that Nubits is the right topic for PRWeb

My thinking was that many people outside this community don’t know these things, so it would probably be news to everyone. But, your distinction between newsletter and news release makes sense.

I’m going to do that tonight. Sending out to email addresses is easy. The thing I’m unsure of is that there are a lot of Twitter and Facebook pages in the list. How exactly do I send the news to these pages? With Facebook, I guess I just PM them a message and link to our newsletter here on the forum. What about Twitter though? It says I can only direct message somebody if they’re already following my page. Is there any chance of being banned if I send out hundreds of tweets and PM’s to people?

Ok, so I was talking to David about sending the newsletter out to our contact list…

Sentinelrv: I do have a question for you though

Sentinelrv: First, have you already looked over our media/PR list?

David: Briefly a few weeks ago, yes

Sentinelrv: Tonight I need to to transfer all those email addresses to our mailchimp account so I can send out an email blast to the press about the newsletter.

Sentinelrv: There are also a lot of Facebook and Twitter addresses in that list.

Sentinelrv: I’m unsure of how to send word of the newsletter to those accounts.

Sentinelrv: For Facebook I think I just need to send a private message to their page.

David: I admit I haven’t been as present here lately as I previously was due to NuBits work, but maybe we can back up for a second. Why do you want to release a newsletter to press?

Sentinelrv: But for Twitter I’m not sure.

David: Journalists care about new news, or events. Our newsletter is very well done, but there’s nothing that would capture the attention of a regular journalist.

Sentinelrv: You don’t think we should send anything out then?

Sentinelrv: I thought at least Coindesk or a place like that might be interested in the updates from the community.

David: Not necessarily. But you need to place yourself in the shoes of a journalist. You receive our newsletter; what’s the story you write?

David: Coindesk I categorize differently than some of the media on our big list that is more mainstream

Sentinelrv: Robert Lloyd was sying there’s a differnce between a newsletter and a news release, hold on a sec.

David: Yes. News release usually announces something new, or an event about to be held that a member of the media would be interested in. Newsletter is more of an internal news
source for dedicated followers of an activity or topic

Sentinelrv: Here is his post: http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2906.msg29843#msg29843

David: I think he’s correct. If we were to email press, it would be a news release addressing an issue of interest. Perhaps how Peercoin has new momentum behind it, tons of new projects, and is uniquely positioned to solve the GHash.io problem of 51% attacks

Sentinelrv: I guess i just felt there’s lots of things being worked on that people outside the community don’t know about yet.

David: That last piece (solving GHash problems) would be more likely to get attention

David: I don’t mean to rain on the parade, I think you should do what the community feels is best. Just my own opinions

Sentinelrv: I was thinking we could write an intro to the newsletter saying that these were the latest updates in our community and if anything in particular caught their eye, they could email us for more information if they wanted to cover it.

Sentinelrv: If they didn’t find anything interesting, they could ignore it until we have a serious news release like NuBits come out.

Sentinelrv: Maybe we could instead email the more crypto related websites like Coindesk, and save everyone else for something more specific. The crypto related new organizations would be better at pulling something interesting from our newsletter.

David: I think that would be a great approach (targeting crypto-specific news outlets)

David: The newsletter you guys have created is a goldmine for people interested in cryptos

David: And yeah, we will be doing a full media blast for NuBits. It’s going to get a lot of attention

David: Which will translate into Peercoin attention

Sentinelrv: Ok, will start going through the contact list and picking out the crypto news sources.

So I’m thinking David and Robert are right here. We should hold off on emailing mainstream news sources until we have something major to report. What I can do instead though is go through our contact list and pick out the crypto related news sources and email them. They’d be more qualified at going through our newsletter and picking things out that could make a story. Do you guys agree? The newsletter releases Monday, so I need to know what you all think. I’ll begin going through our media list and picking out the crypto news sources.

Edit: So I started going through our list and it seems that there’s not a lot of dedicated crypto news sources listed. It’s mainly contacts at places like TechCrunch, Engadget, Wired, and mainstream media like CNN, Forbes, Fortune, The Wallstreet Journal, CNET, USA Today, etc… This list looks like it was more designed to push a major press release and not something like our newsletter.

The list has 266 contacts and out of all that, only 2 seem to be dedicated crypto news publications, CoinDesk and Cryptocoinnews. So if we’re going to push this newsletter, we’ll need to compile a list of crypto websites and contact details.

I also think it would be good to build a list of named individuals, who are not necessary “journalists”, but who have published online and mentioned Peercoin. Such people work in slower time than journalists and can therefore better absorb the newsletter.

Here is one example: Maninder Gulati of Lightspeed India Venture Partners, who wrote this article:

He says of peercoin, “In my opinion, only the category 3 ones would survive. PPC coin, which has introduced a proof-of-stake system in addition to proof-of-work, is one such coin. It is on my list of survivors”.

I am sure he would be fascinated to get the newsletter. A growing number of named people like this on the mailing list would be great.

[quote=“RobertLloyd, post:29, topic:2459”]I also think it would be good to build a list of named individuals, who are not necessary “journalists”, but who have published online and mentioned Peercoin. Such people work in slower time than journalists and can therefore better absorb the newsletter.

Here is one example: Maninder Gulati of Lightspeed India Venture Partners, who wrote this article:

He says of peercoin, “In my opinion, only the category 3 ones would survive. PPC coin, which has introduced a proof-of-stake system in addition to proof-of-work, is one such coin. It is on my list of survivors”.

I am sure he would be fascinated to get the newsletter. A growing number of named people like this on the mailing list would be great.[/quote]

That’s a good idea Robert. Does he have any contact details listed? I’m going to be at work today. If anybody has time to gather a list of crypto news websites, we can try to find contact details for each one and then email out this newsletter to all of them.

There’s also that guy that wrote that awesomely long article on Peercoin early this year.

http://cointrader.org/peercoin-proof-of-stake-and-bitcoin/

Yes, definitely include him. For these two individuals (and any others we can identify) we need a short covering email; for instance:

Dear XXX

Earlier this year, you did an article on [or: that referred to] Peercoin (PPC Coin)

There has been a great deal of development on Peercoin since then and, given your interest, we thought you might like to see our Peercoin newsletter, which comes out about once every two or three months. It provides the latest updates on technology development and marketing.

We hope you find it of interest. The newsletter is for your information only, and there is no need to reply to this email, unless you wish to

Yours sincerely etc

Maybe add this gentleman?

Sean Mikha

Oh, my. Here’s a fourth:

Ben Isgur

Yes please add me: smikha @ gmail.com

Also just saw coverage on Tech in Asia on Litecoin (called Beginner’s guide to buying and storing Litecoin), could be interesting to pitch an article on Peercoin as well?

Indeed: https://www.techinasia.com/beginners-guide-buying-storing-litecoin/

[quote=“ppcman, post:17, topic:2459”]I see that rather than coming up with a plan on the best way to launch the video, we kinda pushed all these ideas aside and kind of just threw it up on youtube and are trying to make it go viral.

At best, we’ll probably get under 5,000 views over the next few weeks with this method.[/quote]

I wrote this July 20, 2014. Fast forward 4 months later, and the Peercoin video has 5,878 views.

Turns out I was right with my forecast.

I also said this:

[quote=“ppcman, post:459, topic:2095”]Then I thought, what would a young, articulate 20+ year old english-accented girl sound like, reading the same script with a cheery smiling voice?

I’m not suggesting we re-record and re-sample the video. All I am suggesting is yes, we consider re-recording and re-sampling the video with a woman’s voice.[/quote]

With that, I got a message from the animator Overkillcoin:

[quote=“overkillcoin, post:460, topic:2095”][quote=“ppcman, post:459, topic:2095”]I don’t know how to say this, and don’t get upset. I’m just being brutally honest.

The voice script vs the sound effects, vs the animation all sounds great with one exception. As an audience member, I find myself wanting to ignore / block out the narrator, so I can pay more attention to the pops, fizzes and whistles of the animation. The more the speaker talks, the more I try and deliberately try and drown him out by focusing on the visuals.

I then began to think… Is it the voice-over person’s fault? Generally no…

Then I thought, what would a young, articulate 20+ year old english-accented girl sound like, reading the same script with a cheery smiling voice?

I’m not suggesting we re-record and re-sample the video. All I am suggesting is yes, we consider re-recording and re-sampling the video with a woman’s voice.

Curious how this is all going to play out. Just wanted to give my 2 cents…

It’s never too late to turn an indie into a classic. All it takes is money, patience and talent.[/quote]
I’ll be brutally honest.

This is getting crazy. The time to decide to change the voice would have been BEFORE animating. Plenty of time was given for an approval and discussion. Now the animation is halfway done. Synching animation to voice takes time, energy and effort. Each layer and key frame needs to be considered.

If you are willing to accept more delays and are willing to pay someone separately from the proposed budget to do the voice, then it’s a possibility. I will have to resynch half the animation (not to mention wait however long it takes for your new voice track to be completed), I don’t know how much of a hassle it will be for Jabun. But this will definitely create more headaches for us.

I need honesty and solid leadership here, not insincere wishy-washy approval with costly flip-flopping later on. How can I even be sure that the next decision will be a serious one? If you’re not happy with something, PLEASE make it clear from the start, don’t hide your dissatisfaction and then spring it on me at one of the worst possible times.

Decide what your consensus will be, find your own voice talent, pay them separately, get me the audio and then contact me.

In the mean time, I’ll be working on other projects. This project is stalled, there’s no way I’m going to continue animating to an audio that you don’t really like.

Thank you for understanding.[/quote]

[size=14pt]GOOD NEWS![/size]

I have someone for the simple sum of $700 USD can do a re-voice over for our video that is:

a) Female

b) Talented

c) Soft spoken and articulate

d) Has prior experience doing audio / voice overs

e) Can breathe new life in to the existing video animation that we have

I think this is completely worthwhile, and I’d like to get community consensus and donations to make it happen.

If she’s willing, I’d like Cybnate to be the keeper / organizer of funds to allow this to happen. If it has to be a Peer4Commit project, then so be it.

PPCMan has never steered you wrong before. Let’s do this… As a community $700 USD worth of Peercoin, let’s revitalize the video audio wise and re-release it.

This person I’m volunteering as being right for the job, is willing to read us a paragraph for free, and have us judge her reiteration of the script. If we like it, then the $700 USD of peercoin needs to be raised and be ready for her to complete the task.

I guess I should explain where this is coming from. I have a friend who works in the feature film industry. He doesn’t really “do crypto”, or know much about it. I asked him to preview the Peercoin video with the sound off. He liked the motion graphics and it made sense.

I asked him again to watch the same video, this time with the audio on… 1/2 way into the video, he’s agreeing “the voice detracts from the animation. It isn’t helping or supporting what is on the screen”…

That’s why we need to re-work the audio voice over that goes with the Peercoin video. Not because I think so, or my feature film friend thinks so, but simply because it is the right thing to do…

Try it yourself:

Watch the Peercoin video with no sound, and then try it again with sound on… You will see that there is nothing wrong with the moving graphics, it is just the voice over doesn’t seem to fit.

This isn’t a knock against the voice-over artist either (I’m sure he’s valued for other venues)… just saying for this particular video we can improve it for this type of video, and should do it…

I like the work of Overkillcoin very much.
And I’ve tried what you recommended to try.
I agree that the video is more impressive and attracting more of my attention when playing it without sound.
It appears that you are right with your conclusion about the male speaker in this video.
While I think he has a great voice and speaks very well I need to admit that this is how the attention gets side-tracked from the video.

I’d like to give that female voice a chance and I’m also willing to help with the funding if it turns out to be worth a try!

Thank you for following this up!

I don’t think the video will go viral no matter what we do to it (well, within reasonable bounds). But I agree. I don’t like the male voice over. I’m not sure about the sound effects either. I think it could be much much better.