New Peercoin Video LAUNCH ideas and procedure

Oh, my. Here’s a fourth:

Ben Isgur

Yes please add me: smikha @ gmail.com

Also just saw coverage on Tech in Asia on Litecoin (called Beginner’s guide to buying and storing Litecoin), could be interesting to pitch an article on Peercoin as well?

Indeed: https://www.techinasia.com/beginners-guide-buying-storing-litecoin/

[quote=“ppcman, post:17, topic:2459”]I see that rather than coming up with a plan on the best way to launch the video, we kinda pushed all these ideas aside and kind of just threw it up on youtube and are trying to make it go viral.

At best, we’ll probably get under 5,000 views over the next few weeks with this method.[/quote]

I wrote this July 20, 2014. Fast forward 4 months later, and the Peercoin video has 5,878 views.

Turns out I was right with my forecast.

I also said this:

[quote=“ppcman, post:459, topic:2095”]Then I thought, what would a young, articulate 20+ year old english-accented girl sound like, reading the same script with a cheery smiling voice?

I’m not suggesting we re-record and re-sample the video. All I am suggesting is yes, we consider re-recording and re-sampling the video with a woman’s voice.[/quote]

With that, I got a message from the animator Overkillcoin:

[quote=“overkillcoin, post:460, topic:2095”][quote=“ppcman, post:459, topic:2095”]I don’t know how to say this, and don’t get upset. I’m just being brutally honest.

The voice script vs the sound effects, vs the animation all sounds great with one exception. As an audience member, I find myself wanting to ignore / block out the narrator, so I can pay more attention to the pops, fizzes and whistles of the animation. The more the speaker talks, the more I try and deliberately try and drown him out by focusing on the visuals.

I then began to think… Is it the voice-over person’s fault? Generally no…

Then I thought, what would a young, articulate 20+ year old english-accented girl sound like, reading the same script with a cheery smiling voice?

I’m not suggesting we re-record and re-sample the video. All I am suggesting is yes, we consider re-recording and re-sampling the video with a woman’s voice.

Curious how this is all going to play out. Just wanted to give my 2 cents…

It’s never too late to turn an indie into a classic. All it takes is money, patience and talent.[/quote]
I’ll be brutally honest.

This is getting crazy. The time to decide to change the voice would have been BEFORE animating. Plenty of time was given for an approval and discussion. Now the animation is halfway done. Synching animation to voice takes time, energy and effort. Each layer and key frame needs to be considered.

If you are willing to accept more delays and are willing to pay someone separately from the proposed budget to do the voice, then it’s a possibility. I will have to resynch half the animation (not to mention wait however long it takes for your new voice track to be completed), I don’t know how much of a hassle it will be for Jabun. But this will definitely create more headaches for us.

I need honesty and solid leadership here, not insincere wishy-washy approval with costly flip-flopping later on. How can I even be sure that the next decision will be a serious one? If you’re not happy with something, PLEASE make it clear from the start, don’t hide your dissatisfaction and then spring it on me at one of the worst possible times.

Decide what your consensus will be, find your own voice talent, pay them separately, get me the audio and then contact me.

In the mean time, I’ll be working on other projects. This project is stalled, there’s no way I’m going to continue animating to an audio that you don’t really like.

Thank you for understanding.[/quote]

[size=14pt]GOOD NEWS![/size]

I have someone for the simple sum of $700 USD can do a re-voice over for our video that is:

a) Female

b) Talented

c) Soft spoken and articulate

d) Has prior experience doing audio / voice overs

e) Can breathe new life in to the existing video animation that we have

I think this is completely worthwhile, and I’d like to get community consensus and donations to make it happen.

If she’s willing, I’d like Cybnate to be the keeper / organizer of funds to allow this to happen. If it has to be a Peer4Commit project, then so be it.

PPCMan has never steered you wrong before. Let’s do this… As a community $700 USD worth of Peercoin, let’s revitalize the video audio wise and re-release it.

This person I’m volunteering as being right for the job, is willing to read us a paragraph for free, and have us judge her reiteration of the script. If we like it, then the $700 USD of peercoin needs to be raised and be ready for her to complete the task.

I guess I should explain where this is coming from. I have a friend who works in the feature film industry. He doesn’t really “do crypto”, or know much about it. I asked him to preview the Peercoin video with the sound off. He liked the motion graphics and it made sense.

I asked him again to watch the same video, this time with the audio on… 1/2 way into the video, he’s agreeing “the voice detracts from the animation. It isn’t helping or supporting what is on the screen”…

That’s why we need to re-work the audio voice over that goes with the Peercoin video. Not because I think so, or my feature film friend thinks so, but simply because it is the right thing to do…

Try it yourself:

Watch the Peercoin video with no sound, and then try it again with sound on… You will see that there is nothing wrong with the moving graphics, it is just the voice over doesn’t seem to fit.

This isn’t a knock against the voice-over artist either (I’m sure he’s valued for other venues)… just saying for this particular video we can improve it for this type of video, and should do it…

I like the work of Overkillcoin very much.
And I’ve tried what you recommended to try.
I agree that the video is more impressive and attracting more of my attention when playing it without sound.
It appears that you are right with your conclusion about the male speaker in this video.
While I think he has a great voice and speaks very well I need to admit that this is how the attention gets side-tracked from the video.

I’d like to give that female voice a chance and I’m also willing to help with the funding if it turns out to be worth a try!

Thank you for following this up!

I don’t think the video will go viral no matter what we do to it (well, within reasonable bounds). But I agree. I don’t like the male voice over. I’m not sure about the sound effects either. I think it could be much much better.

I agree that changing the narrator voice is unlikely to make the video go viral. That said, I do like the idea of substituting a female voice. My suggestion is Stephanie Murphy from Lets Talk Bitcoin:

The reasons are: i) provides the video with high visibility because of her connection with LTB (Adam B Levine, Andreas Antonopolous), ii) she understands the crypto-space at an expert level and would thus give PPC a pseudo-endorsement, iii) her voice is nothing short of amazing. She might even be cheaper and willing to accept compensation in PPC.

I’d have to hear the voice to decide. The original voice wasn’t great.

[quote=“sportscliche, post:42, topic:2459”]I agree that changing the narrator voice is unlikely to make the video go viral. That said, I do like the idea of substituting a female voice. My suggestion is Stephanie Murphy from Lets Talk Bitcoin:

The reasons are: i) provides the video with high visibility because of her connection with LTB (Adam B Levine, Andreas Antonopolous), ii) she understands the crypto-space at an expert level and would thus give PPC a pseudo-endorsement, iii) her voice is nothing short of amazing. She might even be cheaper and willing to accept compensation in PPC.[/quote]

+1

I feel its important not to loose overkill on this as he is the video creator but we should be really happy with the video if we are paying good money for it.

I agree that the voice of a female is something that can attract new users, the devcoin community had videos that did very well as a woman was giving the presentation / talk… shame the context of the video was all over the place but the underlying issues raised in this thread were tackled by having a female voice.

I feel we are lucky to have females in this community and would be nice to see one of them step forward for this role / bounty as we know they have a vested interest in peercoin already. but this not necessary.

I feel also that as hard as we try to go viral off one video will most likely not happen but we need to do all we can to get as many people to see the video and we are doing better at that from the newsletters and posting to media outlets when we have new media material or announcements.

Fuzzybear

That would be totally awesome and kind of unheard of even :-O.

Yes I agree totally. The viral think would be cool, but I believe the value in the video is that it serves as a good video to show to people who have heard a little about Bitcoin but not Peercoin and are open to learn more.

It might be slightly better with a female voice, but I’m not sure it would be worth the time and money to change it at this stage.

As pillow said, a video like this is probably never going to go “viral” (there’s not even a single cat in the whole video :smiley: ).

At least personally, I only ever have a quick watch of these kind of videos, just as an introduction to the topic before moving on to do more in depth reading/research. I don’t think the average person is going to spend as much time considering every detail like we are. The most important thing is to have a professionally-made video that makes the project look serious; the video we have already ticks that box.

Also, the number of views doesn’t seem so bad when you compare it to the Namecoin video that was released a couple of months before it, but has less views.

A few people seem to think that a new voice would be good, so you could probably raise the money to pay for it. I’m just thinking that it might be better to focus that attention on development, or some other marketing-related project.

Ok, it appears the best way of making that final decision is to hear that free paragraph being read, and see if we like it… :slight_smile:

I’ll try and get on that next.

I have to admit, looking over the video now, the voiceover currently used doesn’t seem to fit. Maybe you’re right. If we did this though, as others have said I don’t think this should be about trying to make it go viral as that’s most likely not going to happen for this type of video. It would rather be about making the product better.

[quote=“sportscliche, post:42, topic:2459”]I agree that changing the narrator voice is unlikely to make the video go viral. That said, I do like the idea of substituting a female voice. My suggestion is Stephanie Murphy from Lets Talk Bitcoin:

The reasons are: i) provides the video with high visibility because of her connection with LTB (Adam B Levine, Andreas Antonopolous), ii) she understands the crypto-space at an expert level and would thus give PPC a pseudo-endorsement, iii) her voice is nothing short of amazing. She might even be cheaper and willing to accept compensation in PPC.[/quote]

I didn’t know about Stephanie before your post, but this seems like a good idea. I listened to a video on youtube and she does have an excellent voice. That, plus the connections and possibly even a cheaper price would make this something we should at least look into. Here is the video I listened to…

I agree that there’s room for improvement on the current voice. I think it’s a good idea to explore our options.

i would agree that this isn’t a viral video and i wouldn’t be in favour of spending any more money on it as i think it fits its current purpose. i did post this a while back if people want to give it a go for size though…

Just an update, I’ve been told that we have a voice sample coming soon for us to see what we think.

(Already recorded)

I’ll be posting a link shortly.

I contacted Stephanie Murphy (see link above for sample clips). She has agreed to re-do the video narration and will give our community a discount for paying with Peercoin. Fixed price of 240 PPC. Can do it in one day and start the week of Dec 15.