New Marketing Strategy

I like this one too, it is more catchy and sticky.

Downside is that pioneer is at least one thought away from longest-running, battle-tested etc. Even worse, the two not necessarily connected. For example, you could have pioneered something, but were only active for a short period and died a tragic death doing so. It connotes more risk-taking and discovery more than time-tested reliability and strength. Even worse than that, every pioneer I can think of is dead and no longer relevant!

In any event, I think despite the drawbacks both are adequate options. This one is more catchy and sticky. The other one pinpoints the main value prop and takes less risk. Pick your poison.

It doesn’t really convey the same meaning. Pioneering is a one time event has more to do with history, longest-running, is ongoing still relevant but also implies you were the pioneer.

The main power in the word pioneer is it adds glamour, fame, adventure etc. in addition to precedence.

It could also be Pioneering Proof of Stake. That would imply that it was ongoing and not a thing of the past, but maybe is a little less clear and catchy.

1 Like

I think it’s more important to pick something that is accurate to Peercoin’s nature over something that just sounds better. It needs to reflect Peercoin’s values of stability and sustainability.

@river’s slogan focuses more on the fact that Peercoin was one of the first to introduce PoS. I looked up the definition of pioneer and it doesn’t exactly mean “first” as I thought it did, either the first or one of the first to do something new, which means it could also be 2nd or even 3rd. That is not specific enough I think.

@zattack your slogan is very specific about being first. It implies being a pioneer as well as you said, but it’s also clear about the fact that Peercoin is still alive and functioning properly, which means it has a long history of stability in order to last so long, which is exactly the type of thing we want people to associate with Peercoin. However it is true that it isn’t quite as catchy.

So the question is do we prefer something that is more appealing, but less accurate, or something that is less appealing, but more accurate? I think it’s probably more important to accurately convey Peercoin’s qualities, which means I would ultimately choose @zattack’s suggestion.

If you had to choose, which one would you pick and why?

The catchiness could also just be because we’re stroking our own egos - makes me feel like Davy Crockett :guardsman:

1 Like

I’m not sure I agree that either is more accurate. They are both true, and the fact that the pioneer is used instead of a pioneer makes it clear that it intends to mean Peercoin was the first.

It just comes down to whether novelty should be emphasised more than stability. Novelty is more exciting, but doesn’t always last. Stability is safe but boring.

Usually I would go for stability, but for a slogan I think catching people’s attention is the most important thing. The stability aspect will be explained in the rest of the text, this is just the opening line. “Established in 2012, Peercoin is the longest running Proof of Stake blockchain in existence” or something similar could be featured prominently as well.

I do like the other slogan too though and wouldn’t be unhappy with it. The only other possible problem is that it might not explain the stability that enticingly to everyone. Just because it is the longest running doesn’t mean it is thriving or successful. The same can be said for pioneer too though.

1 Like

It’s funny, I was thinking of my reply as I was reading your post and I thought of this exact same thing before I read the above quote. What is the purpose of a slogan? Is it to describe your product or catch the attention of your intended audience so they can learn more? If the purpose is to catch their attention, then The Pioneer of Proof of Stake is the better way to go. As you said, once you capture the attention of the people you want, there is description text on the website directly below the title that helps fill in and explain everything else we want them to know.

I think the tagline can do either. Generally, in tech it seems summarizing the value prop is standard practise - not sure why. Other industries do really crazy things with their taglines for example Dos Equis tagline is “Things are about to get interesting”

I should say tech services I should say, not necessarily products

How about this one combining all three ideas:

The First Proof-of-Stake Blockchain
still running, still pioneering.

Or

The Original Proof-of-Stake Blockchain
still running, still pioneering.

We’ll be discussing this topic during our meeting tomorrow with the dev team.

1 Like

I think this is the best one yet because i don’t like the double “of” with Pioneering OF prof OF stake.

So we talked a little bit about it in our meeting today. Then I talked about it some more with Peerchemist after the meeting and we’ll be going with @river’s suggestion, The Pioneer of Proof of Stake. So no need for anymore suggestions in this thread.

So I think maybe we’ve given too much importance to the last topic we were talking about in this thread. It started with trying to understand what the network is, then we moved to trying to describe it in a few short words, which turned out to be sustainable public blockchain. Then somehow the discussion evolved into turning it into a slogan.

Really though, all it is is the first title that you will see when you visit the website. There will be a title, with a small summary description of what Peercoin is, then it will move down and there will be more titles listing off each of its benefits and explaining them.

What we came up with here (The Pioneer of Proof of Stake) I guess we should not really call it a slogan for Peercoin. It’s more like a title that just goes over top of the summary description, which is the first paragraph text on the page that describes what Peercoin is. It probably won’t appear anywhere else except as the first title at the top of the website.

I just wanted to make that clear. I think the blockchain probably doesn’t need a slogan, but this should do for getting people to read the text below the main title. I’m sorry if I seemed to put more emphasis on this than it may have required.

1 Like

Much Better!!!

@Sentinelrv glad that that’s settled - when will we see it on the website?

Also, I suggest adding some kind of ticker showing how many times forked and total market cap of all coins based on peercoin. In addition to peercoin nodes, marketcap etc…

3 Likes

This is wonderful suggestion

1 Like

I’m currently doing research on marketing and some other things. I’m not sure how long it will take me to get through everything, but I promise to go as quickly as I can. Feel free to post your own ideas if you want.

Ok, will do. Let me know if you need any help updating the website - I am a developer also.

Sentinel, if you need anything regarding marketing just hit me up.

1 Like