New Marketing Strategy

I actually suggested fair and sustainable above, but decided against it, the reason being that it’s not clear and specific enough. Fair can mean anything in people’s minds. They might think we’re talking about distribution instead of governance for example.

This is an interesting way to do it. It shows the age of the chain right in the slogan, so people immediately know it has history and can be trusted.

I’d like to hear feedback not just on this but on all the others listed above.

One of the better ones so far

I guess I might be wrong, as being a stakeholder or owner is not a requirement in order to use the blockchain, so user-governance may not make sense after all. :disappointed:

You must own peercoin to use the chain directly. ‘Stake’ may refer to temporarily locked peercoin, but i think it could easily be interpreted more generally to mean owning peercoin. So i would say being a stakeholder is indeed required to use the blockchain for anything other than simple verification.

I like “User-Governed Sustainable Blockchain”…maybe we can go one step further and make it more inclusive and say:

Peercoin, The First Community-Governed Sustainable Blockchain ?

I don’t think we should put any additional words in the title of the website, such as “for everyone” or “since 2012”. Maybe we can mark the words with asterisks and in the footnote briefly say why it’s sustainable or user-governed or First (if the first page of the site is actually one-pager).

Also if I have to pick between “Fair” and “Democratic” I would more likely go with democratic.

I take it nobody else has a problem with using first? Please speak up if you do.

I would have to agree. We don’t want to make it too long and unwieldy with too much information.

I talked to Peerchemist about user-governed and community-governed. He doesn’t want to use this wording unless it’s completely accurate. So I thought about substituting user and community for something more accurate like stakeholder, however this seemed a little long sounding, so I just shortened it to stake…

The First Stake-Governed Sustainable Blockchain

I honestly think this is the best version I’ve come up with, even better than user-governed. It is accurate as people use their stake to govern the network through minting. It’s also very important in the fact that the word stake is used. People have heard of proof of stake by now and know what it is. Coupled with sustainability, adding stake directly into the slogan will make it obvious to people that the network runs on PoS. Plus it also covers the governance aspect by saying that you govern the network with your stake.

Thoughts? I would like to wrap this up as soon as possible because we need to start moving forward with something. In case it would be helpful to know where this will be used, check this post. There will be a paragraph of text at the top of the website that gives a short overview of what the network is. This slogan will be used as the title to that overview. It’s possible it might also appear in some places alongside the logo like in the Reddit banner for example.

We’ll also be having an upcoming meeting this weekend where I’ll be proposing it to the Peercoin Team.

I like the Stake-Governed version the most!

1 Like

Great. Now unless somebody comes up with something better, this is what I’ll be pushing for. I understand it may not be the flashiest sounding thing, but it accurately describes the network, which is what we want. We want people to read it and immediately know what Peercoin is. It’s proof of stake. Stakeholders govern the network. It’s sustainable. It’s the first blockchain to introduce all these ideas. That’s a lot of meaning packed into a small phrase.

“Stake-Governed” really narrows the focus to crypto-enthusiasts - is that what we’re going for?

The more technical the wording, the narrower the audience. All my suggestions have been in the spirit of reaching a wider audience.

e.g. “fair” over “x-governed” many people don’t understand the details of the governance issues, but they can understand the value of fairness. It’s also a much more ancient and deeper idea in the collective consciousness than “stake”, “user” or even “governed”.

I think we should be standing on the ideas of fairness, sustainability, and history.

We have 2 out of 3 of these already, although “first” doesn’t give any indication that the chain has been running for 5 years, which is a huge deal.

3 Likes

Alright, you make a good point here. We need to make sure we take into consideration what audience we’re trying reach. Right now we’re focused more on the tech people and developers I think, where long-term we want to get everyone on board once crypto is more mainstream than it is now.

We could possibly use a narrower slogan now and then when we feel the time is right, switch later on to appeal to a broader audience. Or if you want to pick and only use one, then you can use the slogan for the broader audience and hope that it is enough for people to read past it in order to gain a better understanding what fairness means.

If you want to nail all three qualities, then the slogan would need to be…

Fair and Sustainable Since 2012

I know I said it wouldn’t be good to add on the date at the end, but I felt that was more because I didn’t want the phrase to be too long. If you drop all the technical words then it is much shorter as shown above.

1 Like

I like this.

I agree what has been said above about governance and @zattack point that it shoots at really narrow public.

However, I must ask following. What do we say when someone asks why is this chain more fair than chain x?

In that case how about we just say:

The Longest-Running PoS Blockchain

Enthusiasts already know the benefits of PoS

I understand the view points stated above. To me “fair” is a very general word. Every time I hear “fair” I take it with a grain of salt, cause nothing is fair!

Not sure if that does Peercoin much justice in regard to it’s other qualities. But you may be on point, that is the public that will seek us. The people who already know about PoS and what it means for the decentralized network.

Yea, if we’re going for that crowd that is the biggest selling point over other coins and the one that no one can copy - we’ll always be the longest-running!

This is good. Or The Long-established PoS Blockchain

I like this. It sounds good and targets the people who already know what PoS is and its benefits. We would need to do a two stage process though. Target the narrower audience right now and then when the time is right rebrand it to target the broader general public.

However I would drop the dash as it’s not needed…

The Longest Running PoS Blockchain

3 Likes

Sounds like a plan :slight_smile:

I agree.

May we use “Proof-Of-Stake” over “PoS” though?

Will it be too long then? Also, do people usually use the dashes? I used to but stopped.

The Longest Running Proof-of-Stake Blockchain

The Longest Running Proof of Stake Blockchain

Which do you prefer?