Minting Question - Just Bad 'Luck'?

I joined Peercoin in 2013, when GPU mining was still feasible. I had acquired about 450 peercoins in a single transaction and about 5 translations of about 10 coins each. I leave my wallet ‘unlocked for minting’ nearly 24/7 and am currently using Peerunity v1.3; and I’ve have only two successful stakes this entire time. Both stakes were on the largest 450 coin transaction; first one was in Feb of 2014 and the second was in May 2014. In one of those mints the transaction was split into two transactions of 225 (which was the procedure of an older version wallet?).

Since May 2014, I have not had a single stake. The two large transactions show over 110,000 confirmations and now carry a decent amount of stake weight; but are limited to the maximum 90 day ‘stake-weight’. I’ve read that sometimes it is profitable to ‘combine’ small transactions to improve the minting stake chance, but with almost two years of age, I would hate to loose all of that time spent holding.

Has Peercoin become that competitive that an average Joe like me can’t even get a mint transaction?

EDIT: Corrected the Peerunity version number above.

You should update to the latest v0.4.2. In my minting experience, it has not been hard to get a minting block for 100 PPC or 200 PPC since Peercoin v0.4.2.

Thanks for the quick reply. I downloaded Peercoin v 0.4.2 and will try staking with this.

I had thought that Peerunity was the ‘most up to date’ wallet. That’s what the website made it seems like.

EDIT: Added quote.

I would cut my losses and collect/resend the tiny 10’s into 1 new address and wait at least 90 days.
The 90 days is important to prevent having it split in two once it stakes.

[quote=“intergalactic, post:4, topic:3785”]I would cut my losses and collect/resend the tiny 10’s into 1 new address and wait at least 90 days.
The 90 days is important to prevent having it split in two once it stakes.[/quote]

This is what I was thinking as well. I was wondering if I should do the same with the other two transactions, but caribou seemed confident that peercoin v 0.4.2 will help.

Also, you mentioned that if a transaction stakes in less than 90 days it will ‘split’ into two transactions. Is this still the current protocol? Regardless of the amount?

225 is alright. At a difficulty of 11 there is a 89.160428% chance of finding a stake if you keep it running for 3 months.

https://poscalculator.peercointalk.org/

And yes, the protocol change in v0.5 does not affect the splitting.

There is in theory a certain amount of coins X high enough to be able to stake but that low enough so that the time to find a stake is always more than 90 days so it wont split in two again.

Alright so I should have roughly a 79.49% of both staking in three months and a 1.18% chance of neither staking. I guess I’ll hold for another three months using peercoin wallet instead of peerunity.

Hopefully after both transactions mint, it would be best to combine all transactions into one? To improve staking odds in the future?

Also, I know the staking priority is maximized at 90 days, but coin age continues to accurate, correct? With the last stake being in May 2014, I should have roughly 21 months (~630 days) of coin age? Or is this also capped at 90 days?

Coin age is not capped with respect to stake reward. That’s how you will always be rewarded 1% annually no matter how long it takes to mint a block.

Thanks for the replies. One last question:

Does Peercoin v 0.4.2 have some kind of more advanced minting procedure than the Peerunity wallet? I enjoyed the ease of Peerunity’s unlocking and not needing to use the console.

I like the minting panel and coincontrol features of peerunity.

btw you can use stakefinder page to findout when your outputs will find stakes.

I like the minting panel and coincontrol features of peerunity.

btw you can use stakefinder page to findout when your outputs will find stakes.[/quote]

According to Peerunity, I should have an 88.65% chance to stake within 90 days on either transaction. Given I have been minting for 21 months and neither have minted would put me at about a 0.00000000000589% chance, less than winning the powerball. Hence the reason for the OP.