Minimum amount of memory for a VPS

I’m currently running a VPS with 256mb memory on Ubuntu Server 12.10. It’s running perfectly fine so I was wondering if I could get away with 128mb? If not on Ubuntu would debian or another distro work?

Depends on which software you are using. Primecoind? jhPrimeminer? Xolominer?

In general any linux distribution will work. Ubuntu is the most common and I guess most easy to set up.

I’m using xolominer on beeeeer, with 1200% CPU (12 threads) it is using around 75 MB memory. I hope this helps.

[quote=“donschoe, post:2, topic:804”]Depends on which software you are using. Primecoind? jhPrimeminer? Xolominer?

In general any linux distribution will work. Ubuntu is the most common and I guess most easy to set up.

I’m using xolominer on beeeeer, with 1200% CPU (12 threads) it is using around 75 MB memory. I hope this helps.[/quote]

Yes Xolominer, I plan on using it on a 16 core Xeon. Thanks.

Just wondering, why 128MB?

That’s the lowest amount the VPS I’m using allows for Xeon processors.

If you need to compile the miner on the VPS, not sure that 128MB will be enough.

That’s no problem as long as you use linux and you can add swap.

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=64M count=16 sudo mkswap /swapfile sudo swapon /swapfile

That’s no problem as long as you use linux and you can add swap.

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=64M count=16 sudo mkswap /swapfile sudo swapon /swapfile[/quote]

Only issue I see with that is disk IO is rather a high commodity when considering shared VPS solutions and most have monitoring for those metrics. I run a cluster of 256M VPSs with the client utilizing ~211m of RAM without swapping. The less you swap, the less likely you are to be on their radar. :slight_smile: