Microrewards for Posting

I was just thinking if we really wanted to get this forum moving along, we could integrate microrewards or a tip system into the forum. This would encourage new users to post and contribute, and each person would get a certain number of Peer/Primecoins per post.

Cool idea. I like the concept of rewarding quality over quantity…so rather than having bots rack up meaningless posts, people could tip each other like they do on Reddit. Might be worth contacting im14 on Reddit to see if he can code something for us?

Love this idea, I’ll have to look into it and see what I can do… maybe someone has written a plugin similar for SMF and i can mod that. Again if anyone wants to look into and help me set this up then PM me or post on here

adding to this idea, but this would require some more effort, SK mentioned centralized service (like this) could/should be used for micropayments (because the fixed tx fee), if we could use the forum for sending peercoins to eachother, were it gets transferred internally, I know this is a bit risky, like web wallets, and security should be considered when there is large amount floating around on the forum, just my 2 cents

hmmm looks like 300BTC bounty for such a mod was never completed and the attempt by someone else is all dead links now

http://www.rugatu.com/questions/3575/can-you-make-a-bitcoin-smf-mod

This is going to require some work and time I can not afford right now :frowning: want to focus on localpeercoins.org site

Fuzzybear

How about instead of posts go by Likes?

There’s at least this add-on to add Likes for SMF, and XenForo which we’re discussing in another thread supports it by default.

Users could put an address in a profile field. The system handling money could be separate from the forum similar to the tip bots on Reddit. One way is for it to record those likes continuously through some “forum action flow” (if available) and pay instantly, and another to scan all posts at intervals. Each would require keeping track of unique likes so you can’t Like, Unlike, and Like again. Removed likes should be of little concern.

I don’t rule out that writing an add-on is the better way, but possibly only to assist the external system.

Limitations are probably necessary to avoid misuse. Perhaps reduce the reward for each Like per post (does exponential decay describe what I mean?).

This would of course need some care in design to avoid potential robbery if the forum is compromised. Instead of having it make payouts automatically, someone could be required to approve the payment queue. Perhaps only when subjected to large payouts.

There could also be a way for people to easily see that address to make independent transactions. In XenForo the profile popover would probably suit well. Consider showing QR.

[quote=“jooize, post:6, topic:795”]How about instead of posts go by Likes?

There’s at least this add-on to add Likes for SMF, and XenForo which we’re discussing in another thread supports it by default.

Users could put an address in a profile field. The system handling money could be separate from the forum similar to the tip bots on Reddit. One way is for it to record those likes continuously through some “forum action flow” (if available) and pay instantly, and another to scan all posts at intervals. Each would require keeping track of unique likes so you can’t Like, Unlike, and Like again. Removed likes should be of little concern.

I don’t rule out that writing an add-on is the better way, but possibly only to assist the external system.

Limitations are probably necessary to avoid misuse. Perhaps reduce the reward for each Like per post (does exponential decay describe what I mean?).

This would of course need some care in design to avoid potential robbery if the forum is compromised. Instead of having it make payouts automatically, someone could be required to approve the payment queue. Perhaps only when subjected to large payouts.

There could also be a way for people to easily see that address to make independent transactions. In XenForo the profile popover would probably suit well. Consider showing QR.[/quote]
I like the like system :slight_smile:
Adding microrewards to the likes might work, but as with everything where money is involved there will be some level of abuse. So the reward shouldn’t be too high. Say 1PPC for 1000 likes. And yes, we would still need some safeguards as proposed above.

Maybe just start with the likes.