[MF] Intro to Peercoin Video & Slides

Contact Information
I am Chronos on Peercointalk. You can reach me by PM on this forum, or by email at chronos.crypto at gmail dot com.

Submission date
Monday, June 30th, 2014.

Summary
We have a public slide deck for Peercoin presentations (see http://imgur.com/a/dG66c). However, it has fallen out of date, and it has much room for improvement. I propose to revise and update the official slide deck, and to record and publish a video presentation of the new content.

Details
I propose to cover the following topics in the new slide deck (subject to change during development):

[ul][li]History of Peercoin [list]
[li]Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency[/li]
[li]Peercoin’s Fair Launch[/li]
[li]Sunny King vs. Satoshi Nakamoto[/li]
[/list]
[/li]
[li]Purpose of Peercoin [list]
[li]Bitcoin and Proof of Work[/li]
[li]Centralization of Mining[/li]
[li]The 51% Attack[/li]
[/list]
[/li]
[li]Proof of Stake [list]
[li]The Essence Proof of Stake[/li]
[li]Network Security in PoS[/li]
[li]Power Efficiency in PoS[/li]
[li]Peercoin’s Hybrid PoW/PoS Model[/li]
[/list]
[/li]
[li]Transaction Fees [list]
[li]Bitcoin Mining, Fees & Block Rewards[/li]
[li]Peercoin Fee Destruction[/li]
[li]Long Term Inflation vs. Sustainability[/li]
[li]Blockchain Size Comparison[/li]
[/list]
[/li]
[li]Get Involved [list]
[li]Peer4Commit Opportunities[/li]
[li]Ongoing Development in v0.5[/li]
[li]Peershares[/li]
[li]Twitter/Facebook/Forums[/li]
[/list]
[/li][/ul]

In addition to releasing the new slide deck in the public domain, I will launch a video presentation of the content. I have extensive experience in online public speaking, as I broadcast a chess stream several times per week. The format and style of the video will be similar to my recent lesson on chess openings (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edOdgdY1obc), with slides on the left of the screen in the location of the chessboard, and the Peercoin logo in the upper right quadrant. Finished video length is expected to be approximately 15 to 25 minutes in length.

Note that Peershares is only briefly mentioned at the end of this new presentation. Although Peershares is an exciting new technology, Peercoin does not directly depend on it for success. With community approval, it may be the subject of a separate presentation.

Target audience
The video and slide deck will target the same audience as visitors to the Peercoin.net website, looking to learn about Peercoin. This will not target those new to crypto, but instead those who are looking for Peercoin’s competitive advantage over bitcoin and other altcoins.

Budget
I (Chronos) already have access to a camera, microphone, and recording environment, so the expenses for this project will consist solely of my time and expertise. I would like to give the community a benefit, so I will provide the equipment at no cost, and charge just $15/hour for my time. Following is a breakdown of the expected hours:

Redesign and update slide deck: 12 hours
Plan and record video: 1 hour
Edit and upload video: 2 hours

Total: $225 for 15 hours of work (a little more than 160 PPC at today’s exchange rate).

Deadlines
The community will have 10 days to approve this proposal. The deadline for approval is Thursday, July 10th. If approved, project will be completed by Monday, July 14th. If the project is approved quickly, work may be completed ahead of schedule.

Metrics
Objective is to reach 1000 views of the video in the first month after launch. The video will be uploaded to YouTube, and metrics can be measured via YouTube analytics. Additionally, the updated and improved slide set will be made available to the community.

Funds management
Payment for this project can be sent to the Chronos Crypto account on Peer4Commit.

Thank you for your consideration!

I will also discuss the Peerbox project in the Get Involved section.

Thanks for your submission. Very well presented, hope all future proposals will be at least this clear.
I’m good with the focus on Peercoin and reasonably satisfied with your skillset to deliver this. And I think it is great to enhance the existing material. So that is a good start.

I have a few questions for you to start with, hope others chime in.

1. How do you think you can achieve 1000 views in a month by just uploading the video? Is there any advertising or intensive linking to the video involved or else?

2. I assume some payment on delivery and when target is reached in time. Does that work for you?
    What would be a good qualifier in your opinion to release payment on delivery?

3. Or should we only pay you when the video achieves the 1000 views? Would you be willing to do additional advertising to create a higher number of views? If yes, at what cost?

4. Under what kind of license would you release the video and audio? Did you already verify with the original authors are good with the reuse of some of their work? Or are you planning to do so?

@all readers, hope my questions make sense and I hope others chime in. This is new for us all so feel free to comment if you think my questions are not good, too harsh or anything you like or don’t like. Or even better, ask your own questions.

@Chronos Looking forward to your response.

Haven’t had the time to read through this yet. I just wanted to ask Cybnate if she thinks we should have some kind of sticky on the main marketing board that gives information about the fund and points to this board specifically. I think sometimes people gloss over sub-boards and don’t realize what they’re missing. Letting people know (In a sticky) about the fund and their ability to submit proposals and vote on this sub-board should lead to more participation.

Yes, I think we need something like that. The Child Board is a bit hidden. I should also ask Fuzzybear to add this to the news on the frontpage. That we have Hong Kong base exchange listing PPC is probably a bit outdated by now. He seems to be pretty busy (with Nubits probably) and not responding to PMs. Hope he reads this :frowning:
Over the weekend I will have a bit more time hopefully. Need to post on Reddit/Bitcointalk etc. Honestly I don’t mind a slow start at the moment, so much to do, but we will gear up soon and keen people will find us for sure. Just added the link in my signature, so it is now all over the forums :slight_smile:

Regarding Cybnate’s questions 2 and 3, about timing of payment, I think Chronos should be paid on the completion of the video, not the achievement of 1,000 views, whether within a month or longer

Unlike a leaflet, which is given away, the video is a permanent resource and so is always available to be viewed. It may achieve its target many times over in the next year or so. I think the propagation of the video should be a community effort, advertised on facebook, etc.

Something I want to ask: who will “own” the video - Chronos or the Peercoin community?

Thank you

Thank you for your questions! I will take them in order:

That target number is based on the number of views on the current (old) Peercoin video at http://peercoin.net. The advertising I have in mind is simple, and could be done largely by the community: post on Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, these forums, anywhere else people want to share it, and perhaps the main website, if desired. My unique contribution to advertising would be that I would mention it on my chess broadcast, which airs three times per week and has a growing viewership.

[quote=“Cybnate, post:3, topic:2594”]2) I assume some payment on delivery and when target is reached in time. Does that work for you?
What would be a good qualifier in your opinion to release payment on delivery? Or should we only pay you when the video achieves the 1000 views?[/quote]
The target is provided to give a rough measure of success of the project. Payment would be delivered when the work is finished, i.e. slides and video launched. We would use the target as a guide to determine if this kind of production is an efficient and effective use of the marketing fund.

I would be willing to do additional advertising, but I am not sure what form that would take. I am open to suggestions. It seems to me that this might fall under a second [MF] proposal.

I had assumed that the current slide deck (http://imgur.com/a/dG66c) is available to use as source content. If this is not true, please let me know. All additional content would be obtained with permission from its authors.

Because the Peercoin Marketing Fund is paying for this content, it would own the rights to the video. I would upload the video to my own YouTube channel for linking, but it could be freely used by the community as the need arises.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I look forward to your decision.

Thank you!

Just wanted to say that I like the proposal and will post questions if I think of anything, but most things have already been answered as it was presented pretty well.

I had assumed that the current slide deck (http://imgur.com/a/dG66c) is available to use as source content. If this is not true, please let me know. All additional content would be obtained with permission from its authors.[/quote]

I’m fine with you reusing anything that was made by me.

[quote=“river333, post:8, topic:2594”]Just wanted to say that I like the proposal and will post questions if I think of anything, but most things have already been answered as it was presented pretty well.

I had assumed that the current slide deck (http://imgur.com/a/dG66c) is available to use as source content. If this is not true, please let me know. All additional content would be obtained with permission from its authors.[/quote]

I’m fine with you reusing anything that was made by me.[/quote]
@river333, great, are you aware of any photos used were potentially copyrighted. If it goes up on Youtube we have to be a bit more careful with where the material is sourced from. Don’t want to have someone making an objection and taking the video off-line, it is just protection for ourselves.

@Chronos, regarding advertising on Youtube, I bet we will like to have on the Peercoin Youtube stream and that we will make links to it. I like your mentioning of the video in another community video and that is what I’m looking for, reaching different audiences than the usual.

Besides a link to Youtube, can we have access to the source in case others want to take your work and make changes in the future? e.g. uploading to a cloud provider (mega, dropbox, google drive, the box etc.)

Regarding payment, I’m fine with this to pay on delivery, but I like to add some performance bonus. E.g. if you hit 5,000 hits in the first month, you can earn another 50 PPC. Would that incentivize you to spread the word and encourage others to do the same. Maybe you can get a website like coindesk to feature it. just raising the bar a bit :wink:

As this is the first proposal, I’m trying you out a bit, hope you are good with that. if you are jot interested, than that is fine and we would vote for the proposal as is.

BTW we have already learnt that getting people to vote is not easy. The charter says that you need at least 8 votes of which majority is voting for your proposal within 3 days to get your submission approved and funded. Our expectation is that you make sure you get your votes, are you good with that? River333 and I might do some promotion anyway as you are the first one.

And I hope there are other questions, as we have another 5 days before voting starts. hope the weekend will bring some.

Sounds good to me :slight_smile:

Realize that a lot of hard work went into preparation of the existing presentation. I know River333 and Sentinelrv have contributed a lot of their time and I’ve probably got in excess of 8 hours invested, including writing the narrative draft and generating four of the graphics. We did this without expecting any direct compensation. For me, that will come if Peercoin/Peershares comes into widespread use. It would be nice if these original contributions are acknowledged in the video.

And maybe linked to in the description…

http://imgur.com/a/dG66c

Apologies for the long post. It’s easier to answer everyone at once.

Exactly. I will create a “Chronos Crypto” Youtube channel, and people will be free to link to it from any channel, site, blog, etc.

I can provide temporary access to the video file that is uploaded to Youtube. I won’t host it personally, as it will be quite large, but I can at least provide it via a service like Dropbox until those interested have a chance to download it.

A bonus would be nice, of course, but I don’t want to complicate the proposal by adding a bonus into it. If people love the work enough, they can donate directly to me, which would go towards future content.

My thoughts exactly. This isn’t quite the same as the marketing video that Overkillcoin and Jabun are doing such great work on. On that video, we are having many drafts, iterations, and chances for community feedback. In this case, I will complete work on my own, then launch the final product. In this sense, the community is “trying me out.” If you like the work, there are opportunities for further proposals (“Common Peercoin Myths” might be a good topic). If you don’t like it, you know not to hire me again from the marketing fund! :slight_smile:

I’m a little confused. Hasn’t the voting already started? I don’t see anything in the charter that says there must a delay before voting.

Are you sure about the “within 3 days” part? I’m having trouble finding that requirement in the charter.

I think this is meant to be a “YES” vote, unless Sandakersmann would like to retract it.

Great point. I’ll make sure to provide a link to http://imgur.com/a/dG66c in the new slide deck, at any time that it is used as source content.

As soon as the proposal is approved, I will begin work.

Thank you!

Thanks for your reply, and happy to leave it as is, all sounds good to me. Just need to make some arrangements for the video uploading once it is finished.

Regarding the voting, the intention is to give the community about a week to comment and ask questions and allow the submitters to adjust the submission if required. Once voting starts no changes should be made to the proposal. So 4-7 days discussion and 3 days of voting. That is where the 7-10 days came from in the charter, but it is obviously not that clear. Might need to clarify that a bit.

River333 and I are good to start official voting for this proposal after 5 July (GMT 0:00) though or any time after that you think would work best for you. That would still get your approval before 10 July assuming it is voted for.

Sounds great to me. Perhaps we should start a new voting thread at that time.

Sounds great to me. Perhaps we should start a new voting thread at that time.[/quote]
The advantage of voting in this thread is that all people who have commented will automatically get notified by default. Experience learns that getting people into a new thread takes more time. I’m happy to go either way, your choice this time.

I have a couple questions…

1. Will you be talking about Sunny’s concept of Peercoin as a backbone currency? If so, at what part? If you need a resource to see his thoughts on this check the community interviews linked in the marketing tools sticky.

2. The new slides that you’ll be making. Are they going to be fancy like this: http://t.co/muheURx5ko Or are they going to look similar to the slides we have now, only more and updated information/graphs.

[quote=“Chronos, post:1, topic:2594”]Target audience
The video and slide deck will target the same audience as visitors to the Peercoin.net website, looking to learn about Peercoin. This will not target those new to crypto, but instead those who are looking for Peercoin’s competitive advantage over bitcoin and other altcoins.[/quote]

Hi Chronos,

A “Chronos Crypto” Youtube channel is a great idea! I’ve been watching your ChessWhiz TV chess videos for a while now.

You can do a great job promoting Peercoin with videos.

I agree with you Pillow’s Peercoin myths thread can be a source for inspiration.

Also, earlier this year there were threads challenging Peercoin’s protocols that Sigmike answered with explanation and actual code lines; these guys would come in all full of accusations and steam and leave humbly and most often agreeing. So, if you look through Sigmike’s forum posts that could be a rich field for great Peercoin explanation videos.

Finally, many of Sunny’s short comments are extremely concise and revealing. It is amazing how much he can say with so few words. These would be rich areas for you to add some explanation by way of video.

[quote=“Chronos, post:1, topic:2594”]Budget
I (Chronos) already have access to a camera…[/quote]

Regarding the fact that you already have a camera: Hahahaha… Respectfully, I sure hope you are not referring to that piece of cr*p on the lid of you Mac notebook!!! No offense intended, but that thing gives really terrible video quality. You apologize for it because sometimes everything else is almost black and white but your face is all pink. Other times you apologize saying that you tried to adjust it but there is this big yellow blotch hovering over your left shoulder! Hahahaha… poor guy! But, you know what?.. You personally have what it takes!.. you just need a better video camera. :wink:

So, if that is the camera you say you already have access to, then I would like to make the first donation to the Chronos Crypto video channel by buying you a decent video camera and tripod. Ok?

NewMoneyEra

Edit: I sent you some PPC to this address PULsXScAAeTGa59fC4MrDri2MhWpLM9erM that you listed at the top of this thread, but this PPC is not a contribution to the video proposed in this thread. It is also not a contribution to you personally. It is a contribution to the “Chronos Crypto Video Channel” and it is specifically for the best video camera and tripod you can buy for this amount of $. Ok? If you need a bit more for a much better camera, let me know, otherwise if there is change left over it is for production of videos explaining Peercoin other than the single video proposed in this thread.

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:17, topic:2594”]I have a couple questions…

1. Will you be talking about Sunny’s concept of Peercoin as a backbone currency? If so, at what part? If you need a resource to see his thoughts on this check the community interviews linked in the marketing tools sticky.

2. The new slides that you’ll be making. Are they going to be fancy like this: http://t.co/muheURx5ko Or are they going to look similar to the slides we have now, only more and updated information/graphs.[/quote]

Any word on this?

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:19, topic:2594”][quote=“Sentinelrv, post:17, topic:2594”]I have a couple questions…

2. The new slides that you’ll be making. Are they going to be fancy like this: http://t.co/muheURx5ko Or are they going to look similar to the slides we have now, only more and updated information/graphs.[/quote]

Any word on this?[/quote]
@chronos, and would you prefer in-thread voting or a separate thread?