Load wallet from other computer to peerbox

Hi!

I want to copy my wallet.dat to the peerbox (verson 0.25.1).

Peerbox cannot find my file on the usb drive. I look at /media/USB-NAME and it seems to be empty. If I instead copy wallet.dat FROM the peerbox to usb and then open the usb in ubuntu or mac that file will be shown.

So how come files copied to the USB drive from the mac or ubuntu are not visible when viewing the USB drive on the peerbox?

I’ve tried to mount and unmount. When typing “sudo umount /media/USB-NAME” it says “umount /media/USB-NAME: not mounted”. When typing “sudo mount /media/USB-NAME” it says “mount: Can’t find /media/USB-NAME in /etc/fstab”.

I’ve also reformatted the usb to FAT32 but it’s still not working.

Thanks!

I tried usb stick on older version of peerbox and didn’t get it to work. So far I have been using the sftp function that comes with the ssh client (from tunnelier.com) to transfer files to/from peerbox

My guess is that Peerbox doesn’t have the File System drivers. It’s a very light and washed Archlinux box, so I’m not surprised.

What I recommend you to do is to send this wallet.dat file via scp (which is way more secure than copying your wallet on a flash drive):

To copy a wallet.dat on your Peerbox (in /home/sunny/ directory) from your Linux/Mac OS or Windows (using WinScp):

scp sunny@YOUR_PEERBOX_IP wallet.dat /home/sunny/

To backup your Peerbox wallet.dat in the current directory (./ = directory where this command is executed) of your Linux/Mac OS or Windows (using WinScp):

scp sunny@YOUR_PEERBOX_IP /var/lib/ppcoind/wallet.dat ./

/var/lib/ppcoind/wallet.dat is where your Peerbox’s wallet.dat is located.
/!\ This wallet is not encrypted by default /!, so be careful where you save it (ideally on an encrypted container)!

You can also report this issue directly on the GitHub project: https://github.com/peerchemist/Peerbox/issues, peerchemist will be glad to dig into it.

Please go trough this guide: https://github.com/peerchemist/Peerbox/wiki/How-to-backup-wallet.dat, it will guide you where to place wallet.dat and how to make it work.

Also, can you please copy dmesg output when you insert the USB drive. Peerbox should detect it and mount it. Do this command a moment after you insert usb drive and copy the text.

sudo dmesg | tail

The FAT32 system file created by OS X is by default unreadable on other OS like Windows or Linux.

You need to format your drive via Windows. Or use FAT16.

The easiest solution in my opinion is still to use SCP.

Really? Why is that?

Really? Why is that?[/quote]

Because users forget to choose Master Boot Record and not GUID, the problem has been here for a while:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1809945?tstart=0

And sometimes the partition table is completely broken by OS X and only one partition of 200MB is seen by Windows.

And are there any third-party applications for Mac OS X that will do this properly? Also, can OS X format usb drive to some proper file system like ext3/4 or btrfs/f2fs?

Choosing only one partition and MBR should be fine in most cases. But I stopped using OS X to format my drives in NTFS or FAT32. I switch on Windows for this purpose.

There are no user friendly soft and none with GUI interface. But there are third-party drivers that are around to bring support to EXT3 (no EXT4 :():

Basically MacFuse or OSXFuse with the Ext2 FUSE module.

[quote=“peerchemist, post:4, topic:3139”]Please go trough this guide: https://github.com/peerchemist/Peerbox/wiki/How-to-backup-wallet.dat, it will guide you where to place wallet.dat and how to make it work.

Also, can you please copy dmesg output when you insert the USB drive. Peerbox should detect it and mount it. Do this command a moment after you insert usb drive and copy the text.

sudo dmesg | tail

It says:

[sunny@peerbox ppcoind]$ sudo dmesg | tail
[15115.433905] sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page found
[15115.454479] sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
[15115.489187] sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page found
[15115.498584] sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
[15115.517188]  sda: sda1
[15115.524631] sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page found
[15115.539046] sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
[15115.547800] sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
[15118.572805] FAT-fs (sda1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
[15118.572931] grsec: mount of /dev/sda1 to /media/TEST2 by /usr/bin/mount[mount:677] uid/euid:0/0 gid/egid:0/0, parent /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-udevd[systemd-udevd:671] uid/euid:0/0 gid/egid:0/0

[quote=“Thireus, post:3, topic:3139”]My guess is that Peerbox doesn’t have the File System drivers. It’s a very light and washed Archlinux box, so I’m not surprised.

What I recommend you to do is to send this wallet.dat file via scp (which is way more secure than copying your wallet on a flash drive):

To copy a wallet.dat on your Peerbox (in /home/sunny/ directory) from your Linux/Mac OS or Windows (using WinScp):

scp sunny@YOUR_PEERBOX_IP wallet.dat /home/sunny/

To backup your Peerbox wallet.dat in the current directory (./ = directory where this command is executed) of your Linux/Mac OS or Windows (using WinScp):

scp sunny@YOUR_PEERBOX_IP /var/lib/ppcoind/wallet.dat ./

/var/lib/ppcoind/wallet.dat is where your Peerbox’s wallet.dat is located.
/!\ This wallet is not encrypted by default /!, so be careful where you save it (ideally on an encrypted container)!

You can also report this issue directly on the GitHub project: https://github.com/peerchemist/Peerbox/issues, peerchemist will be glad to dig into it.[/quote]

Thanks, that’s much better.
However, the scp command copy from a mac is rather:

scp ~/Library/Application\ Support/PPCoin/wallet.dat sunny@192.168.x.x:/home/sunny

It says:

[sunny@peerbox ppcoind]$ sudo dmesg | tail
[15115.433905] sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page found
[15115.454479] sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
[15115.489187] sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page found
[15115.498584] sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
[15115.517188]  sda: sda1
[15115.524631] sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page found
[15115.539046] sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
[15115.547800] sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
[15118.572805] FAT-fs (sda1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
[15118.572931] grsec: mount of /dev/sda1 to /media/TEST2 by /usr/bin/mount[mount:677] uid/euid:0/0 gid/egid:0/0, parent /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-udevd[systemd-udevd:671] uid/euid:0/0 gid/egid:0/0

So Thireus was right, this is OS X’s fault not Peerbox.
Volume is detected but something is wrong with it and OS recommends to run fscheck, ie. to fix the volume.

Thanks for the help!

Now on to the next question :slight_smile:
The peerbox-info command says that I run “v0.23” but I’ve updated from v0.23 to v0.24.1. After the update the checkpoint is too old (peerbox-info command in ppcoind -> errors says that) so I need to download the block chain, which implies that the peerbox-software update went through.

sudo dd bs=8m if=peerbox-raspi-v0.24.1.img of=/dev/disk2 238+1 records in 238+1 records out 2002780160 bytes transferred in 596.992376 secs (3354783 bytes/sec)

What could be the cause?

Thanks!

I just noticed that the login logo says v0.24.

_____               _               
|  __ \             | |              
| |__) |__  ___ _ __| |__   _____  __
|  ___/ _ \/ _ \ '__| '_ \ / _ \ \/ /
| |  |  __/  __/ |  | |_) | (_) >  < 
|_|   \___|\___|_|  |_.__/ \___/_/\_\
                                     v0.24

The peerbox-info command still says v0.23.

Sorry for posting another question in the same thread.

[quote=“YeaYeah, post:14, topic:3139”]I just noticed that the login logo says v0.24.

_____               _               
|  __ \             | |              
| |__) |__  ___ _ __| |__   _____  __
|  ___/ _ \/ _ \ '__| '_ \ / _ \ \/ /
| |  |  __/  __/ |  | |_) | (_) >  < 
|_|   \___|\___|_|  |_.__/ \___/_/\_\
                                     v0.24

The peerbox-info command still says v0.23.

Sorry for posting another question in the same thread.[/quote]

Issue already reported :wink:

Aah, 4 hours ago :slight_smile: