Hi,
This is crypto_coiner.
Still studying cryptos.

1. any ppc and xpm explorer that work?
  2. any ppc difficulty chart?
  3. what are your thoughts on ethereum?
  4. what’s peerassets? any working app?
  5. why is ppc not used?
  6. what’s the size of the peercoin community and user base?
  7. how do you see cryptos and blockchains going forward in 5 to 10years?

I’m not a core developer, and I’m not in PPC community for so many years like some folks you will find around here, so I will try my best to answer the questions that I think fit my knowledge.

1. any ppc difficulty chart?

https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/difficulty-btc-ltc-doge.html

1. what’s peerassets? any working app?

A protocol that enables users to transact tokens using a “host-blockchain”. This protocol is full of interesting features which can be found in its white paper: PeerAssets - Whitepaper

Indicium is a project being built on top of PeerAssets.

1. why is ppc not used?

(Own opinion) Because most people in the market don’t seem to care that much for the future of the coins they invest in. They see a “cool coin” project, fall for their promises, invest on it because “hey, they have a cool website with animated icons and colorful features”, and then after one or two years the project is either frozen or dead (perhaps because an even cooler project showed up, and oh my god did you see how cool is their website?). Plenty of promises, lots of marketing, but poor architecture and long-range aiming.

Peercoin may not be the strongest in marketing terms (we’re working on that), but it is certainly rock-solid in terms of architecture, purpose and long-term vision.

You can buy marketing, but if your idea is weak from the core, its hard to make it last even if you have lots of money raised from crowdfunding, investors or fraudulent ICOs.

1. what’s the size of the peercoin community and user base?

Hard to tell, but since I started orbiting PPC community in the beginning of the year, the movement seems to have increased a lot on this forum, chats (Telegram/Peercoin.talk) and cryptocurrency communities.

1. how do you see cryptos and blockchains going forward in 5 to 10years?

I personally see blockchain technology as I see internet. For me its clear that a paradigm shift this big will definitely and completely change the world in financial (and perhaps political) terms. The future looks as bright as it can get. Some coins will survive this process, lots will die. But the technology will definitely remain forever.

4 Likes

Spot on! In regards to Peercoin specifically though, NuBits stole Peercoin’s thunder for several years, plus there was an over reliance on Sunny King to lead the project, when he really was not interested in fulfilling that role.

These two things combined lead to dwindling interest and stagnant development. However over the past year we’ve been working on completely turning Peercoin around. We have a Core Team now and Project Leader and a new direction we’re working in with PeerAssets. If you want to read more about this, check my post here from earlier in the year where I explain the problems Peercoin was having…

4 Likes

Any ppc dedicated mining pool?
or recommended one? I’d like to give it a try

Besides the white paper linked above, here are a couple more articles…

@peerchemist would be able to give you his opinion on Ethereum from a design perspective.

1 Like

What does it mean that mining is used for distribution only?
How does it work?
I dont remember sorry …
Miners mine PPC on peercoin_blockchain1
Then minters get to download them on peercoin_blockchain_2? and they are separate?

Anyone?

Peercoin is the first hybrid PoW/PoS network as well as the first pure PoS network. This is possible because security is provided solely by PoS minters while continual distribution of new currency is provided by PoW miners without any kind of security benefit. Does that make sense? One provides the security while the other just distributes new coins to people. Peercoin is slowly taking over Bitcoin’s mining market.

Peercoin has a dynamic PoW reward scheme which is inversely proportional to difficulty. For example, when hashing power goes up, the block reward goes down. The opposite is true as well, when hashing power goes down, the block reward goes up. This allows the incoming supply to adjust dynamically to changes in the market.

In one of our last announcements, PoW difficulty had spiked 4x within the span of just one month. It hit 2 billion for the first time, which was a new all time high. In comparison to that, Bitcoin’s block reward changes are static rather than dynamic. Peercoin achieved a quarter of a block halving within 1 month. Bitcoin takes ~4 years for its halving.

Also, in case you don’t know already there is another Peercoin community now over at https://peercoin.chat/. There are lots of channels, the devs chat daily with the community and many times it is more active than this forum.

1 Like

There are 2 blockchains, aren’t they?
The one we download on Peerunity – and construct by Proof of Stake
And that miners construct by federating onto pools – like Coinotron

Also,

1. Any chart on the supply ?
  2. Any projection on the supply?
  3. What do you recommend as exchange to buy PPC?
    I used to go for btc-e but it was back in 2015

How well is decentralized the PoW network? and the PoS network?

Hi Crypto_coiner.

There is only one chain. PoS-minted blocks have got a much higher chain weight than PoW-mined blocks, so the “longest” chain (i.e. the chain with the highest chain weight) only depends on the PoS-minted blocks. Therefore, as a Sha256 miner, you can add new blocks to the chain and get your coinbase reward, but you can not influence the consensus. Does that make sense for you?
If not, I can look up some links for you where you can read up on it.

To trade Peercoin, I would recommend BTC-E or Poloniex. BTC-E is still the biggest exchange, but Poloniex is catching up.

We currenctly don’t have a site that shows the inflation rate unfortunately. We are adding about half a million coins per year. Peercoin inflation was high after launch, but then slowed down because of market adoption and because of the event of Sha256-Asics in 2013, both of which increased the difficulty. Inflation is inverse to PoW mining difficulty. So inflation is going down whenever price is going up and whenever faster Sha256 ASICs come out.

In Peercoin, it’s only the decentralization of the PoS network that matters. There is no way to measure it exactly however. The PoS difficulty is an indicator of course, but you can never know for sure how many people hold the addresses that mint.

ppc yes, xpm I think is basically abandoned at this point.

2. any ppc difficulty chart?
    someone else said so already

3. what are your thoughts on ethereum?
    Ethereum is interesting - it’s certainly not a design for sound money, but it’s interesting.

4. what’s peerassets? any working app?
    That’s what’s going on right now. Check out Indicium.

5. why is ppc not used?
    When ppc was invented it was not obvious that the problems it was solving were real problems. Miner centralization (Both in terms of the possibility of government attack on the network, and miners themselves stonewalling software updates) , difficulty of running a full node… it’s now obvious that these things are real problems, but the market doesn’t recognize this yet, it should eventually.

6. what’s the size of the peercoin community and user base?
    I’m not sure, but I can tell you that the community here is much more technically oriented, and less drunk on hype.

7. how do you see cryptos and blockchains going forward in 5 to 10years?
    Bitcoin must lose its monopoly over the space if we’re ever going to have sound money. I don’t see any good design solutions to the problems plaguing bitcoin except for what peercoin has.

If my PoS minter is actually connected to other PoW miners, (and not just PoS minters), then it makes sense – do you confirm?

When are we going to stop PoW mining?
I guess it is needed for a wide distribution – so probably never?

Never, that is correct.

But does letting pools do PoW operate a good distribution?
What does it mean to create a good distribution? or rather what do we intend?
Coins get created by pools which get concentrated into exchanges
Then what?

https://chainz.cryptoid.info/ppc/#!rich does not really show a good distribution

I was seduced by the coin back in 2013 –
What do you think it failed?

Failed is a strong word, it was an experiment to see if you could use the proof of work to generate something useful… or at least, marginally more useful than rare hashes of sha256(sha256()) with loads of leading zeros. And it did that. But … in terms of being useful as a check against the centralization of proof of work hashing power? It didn’t do that for long, I think gpu’s ended up being faster. I don’t know if it ever did or would have moved to asics, but the dream of securing the network by having 100 million people hash with their home computer when they weren’t using it while generating mathematically interesting data didn’t pan out- and the dev team for primecoin , which as far as I know was just Sunny King (though I could be wrong about that) didn’t seem to have any further aspirations for the project.

1 Like

http://peerchain.net/ is down. Why?

Also, how does the ratio between PoW inflation and the PoS inflation get computed or controlled?