Issue recovering old wallet.day

Hello fellow Peercoiners,

Back in 2014 I used to mine quite a lot of different coins and recently I came back to the crypto world almost forgetting that I have been mining before. Now I have a new computer, downloaded the peercoin core and imported my wallet.dat file.

When I boot up peercoin I get an error message “Warning: error reading wallet.dat! All keys read correctly, but transaction data or address book entries might be missing or incorrect. peercoin”

and the wallet closes. I have no idea what my private key is either the only thing I know is that it’s last updated 2014-03-13.

I am very grateful for any help, might be some hidden gold in that wallet :smiley: !

You need to run the old client you used back then and dump the private keys from the RPC console. Then you can import those keys into the new client.

where do I find these old clients?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ppcoin/files/

https://github.com/Peerunity/Peerunity/releases

Downloaded the v0.4 and I when i try to dump the priv key i get the error message “Safe mode: WARNING: Blockchain redownload required approaching or past v0.4 upgrade deadline. (code -2)”

what to do next?

maybe try 0.5.4, or ignore the message about the blockchain, you’re only exporting your keys right?

Correct, only exporting my wallet.dat

Also tried with 0.5.4 and still same message.

Do you mean that I should ignore the "“Warning: error reading wallet.dat! All keys read correctly, but transaction data or address book entries might be missing or incorrect.” message?

I can’t ignore it, because after I press OK the core crashes and I have to open it again, and again same problem.

I failed to realise that the old wallet created a PPC folder and not peercoin folder. So I acctually never managed to import the wallet to the old version. Trying that now I get an error :

A Fatal error eccoured. PPCoin can no longer continue safely and will quit.

Excepton: NSt8ios_base7failurE
CDatastream::read() End of Data
C:\Program Files (x86)\PPCoin\ppcoin-qt.exe in Runaway exception

you need to delete blk*dat files from ppc folder before starting old version, it will fail otherwise

A Fatal error eccoured. PPCoin can no longer continue safely and will quit.

Excepton: NSt8ios_base7failurE
CDatastream::read() End of Data
C:\Program Files (x86)\PPCoin\ppcoin-qt.exe in Runaway exception

still getting this error if i use my backup wallet. If i boot without it it starts.

did you delete all blk*.dat files? maybe it is still reading from the wrong directory?