Is there a wallet for OSX?

How can I run the Peercoin QT wallet from the command line? People keep mentioning starting the ppcoind daemon but I can’t find any information on starting that, or using it for decrypting my wallet.

Peercoin QT is the GUI, ppcoind is the daemon. Here’s a link to the v0.3 build of it:

ppcoind.zip (2.0 MB)
https://mega.co.nz/#!FIxTlSgR!DsFrWTqrQNA1NRIOwqbTT3ngTTEiLlDdeT5_zoDui-A
MD5 (ppcoind.zip) = a886c561352abbb273982e93c8df0356

You’ll want to download it and then move it to your [font=courier]~/Library/Application\ Support/PPCoin/[/font] directory. Once you’ve place it there, navigate to the directory you just moved ppcoind to and create a new file, ppcoin.conf:

$ touch ppcoin.conf
$ nano ppcoind.con

In the new file, add these lines:

rpcuser=pick_a_user
rpcpassword=pick_a_password

Control+O, Control+X to save and exit Nano. You’ll be take back to the command line.

Next, launch ppcoind from the same directory with:

$ ./ppcoind -daemon

Once it’s running, you’ll be able to run:

$ ./ppcoind help

to get a list of all of the methods available from the daemon. The one you’ll be looking to use is most likely:

./ppcoind walletpassphrasechange

If you’re going to set up a bash script to cycle through the potential variations, you can call that method after you’ve started up the daemon. Let me know if you have any questions.

When I start the Peercoin-QT app on Mac OS X 10.9, I get an Error “Upgrade to v0.4.0 required by May 4, 2014. See peercointalk.org announcement”.
But here is no newer Mac wallet, how can I get it working?

[quote=“Intelpower, post:43, topic:59”]When I start the Peercoin-QT app on Mac OS X 10.9, I get an Error “Upgrade to v0.4.0 required by May 4, 2014. See peercointalk.org announcement”.
But here is no newer Mac wallet, how can I get it working?[/quote]
I should hopefuly be able to catch up with ben this evening or over the weekend and see where we are with mac clients as there are a few users asking aboiut this.

Fuzzybear

I’m shaking my fists at my computer, and cursing Apple for messing with the base C++ compiler in 10.9. Trying to troubleshoot this has wasted many, many hours of my life.

I’ll keep at it, but there’s a good chance that I’ll have to fall back to the 10.8 machine that I have at the house, but I won’t be able to do that until early next week, when I’m home from my trip.

Once again, if there’s another Mac user out there that has the technical chops to get this working, I’m more than happy to let you run with it. So far, no one else has stepped up :confused:

[quote=“Ben, post:45, topic:59”]I’m shaking my fists at my computer, and cursing Apple for messing with the base C++ compiler in 10.9. Trying to troubleshoot this has wasted many, many hours of my life.

I’ll keep at it, but there’s a good chance that I’ll have to fall back to the 10.8 machine that I have at the house, but I won’t be able to do that until early next week, when I’m home from my trip.

Once again, if there’s another Mac user out there that has the technical chops to get this working, I’m more than happy to let you run with it. So far, no one else has stepped up :/[/quote]

Ok, I wait for next week :slight_smile:

Hey there,
i am on a MAC 10.8.5
have the newest QT downloaded, but it does NOT open ?! (Nothing in Library ??)

Anybody can help please how I get my wallet running again ???
Tx

[quote=“FuzzyBear, post:44, topic:59”][quote=“Intelpower, post:43, topic:59”]When I start the Peercoin-QT app on Mac OS X 10.9, I get an Error “Upgrade to v0.4.0 required by May 4, 2014. See peercointalk.org announcement”.
But here is no newer Mac wallet, how can I get it working?[/quote]
I should hopefuly be able to catch up with ben this evening or over the weekend and see where we are with mac clients as there are a few users asking aboiut this.

Fuzzybear[/quote]

So how critical is the update by May 04? Obviously depends on new wallet.

I have an old windows-based computer lying around. Anyone know if I can install FuzzyBear’s new window’s client and copy the wallet.dat from mac over to the windows system and have it work?

There is now a working OS X client, so the crisis for Mac users has been averted :smiley:

Thanks to Bitpar on reddit for making it. I would still recommend people wait until it has been thoroughly tested, but at least there is now a backup so there will be no interruption to Mac users.

and for BSDs?

For the majority of OS X users, the best option for a Peercoin wallet is now Peerunity. It has more features than the standard client, and is also much easier to use (especially for minting).

Download it here: http://peercoin.net/download-peerunity

Read about Peerunity and FAQs: http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2902.0

To mint using Peerunity:

Minting is now very easy. All you need to do is enable it in your client, and leave your client running with a connection to the Peercoin network. To start with, make sure you have encrypted your client with a strong passphrase that you will not lose. You will now need to get some coins in your wallet!

Then simply press the “Unlock Wallet for Minting Only” button, enter your passphrase and press OK.

You can check you are minting by looking at the little padlock in the bottom right corner of the client. It should now be unlocked. If you hover your mouse over it, it should say “Wallet is encypted and currently unlocked for block minting only”.

How long it takes you to mint a block will depend on how many coins you have. Here’s a handy tool to work out your chances: http://poscalculator.peercointalk.org/ (The current POS difficulty can be found by entering the command [font=courier]getdifficulty[/font] into the debug console of Peerunity…go to help -> debug window -> console).