Is the coin dying?

This the repost of a post that I put in the newbies section, since i did not get any answers.

I am worried about the future prospect of the coin.

• the price has plummeted recently

But the most worrying part is the lack of update from Sunny King.
What is his plan for primecoin?

http://xpm.muuttuja.org/charts/
Doesn’t look like dying coin.
Price:

• high supply (recently even higher than high :wink: )
  • gpu miners don’t hold?
  • bear market on almost all known cryptos, pumps on new ones

All coins seem to be in the doldrums. Investors are seeing better opportunities perhaps? A change in the economic picture could bring more money into the crypto market. But really what is needed is more trading for goods & services with the coins.

A shared assumption among many Peercoin enthusiasts, is that part of the Bitcoin protocol is flawed. These flaws are likely to manifest themselves over time and when so happens, the virtues of Peercoin will shine even stronger. Until then, Peercoin is all about slowly and steadily increasing the userbase.

This is only the distribution phase and the the best is yet to come. :pbjt:

pillow, you are right about Peercoin. But this is about Primecoin. Its PoW is very innovative, but may ultimately suffer from the same flaws as Bitcoin…

sent by Tapatalk

I have converted almost all my primecoins into peercoins. Just kept a few as collectibles :wink:

Don’t see a bright future for Primecoin even if it loos like a more “intelligent” coin than Bitcoin to me.

I can’t see any community momentum toward Primecoin and even Sunny doesn’t communicate a lot about it anymore.

May be some of the concepts behind Primecoin could me reused in a more innovative altcoin in the future.

Primecoin has a feature that is not just a gimmick, it is an honest benefit to society. This is attractive to the general public and when the crypto coins become acceptable for everyday use this feature will make primecoin stand out to the marketing people and they will in turn sell it to the masses. Most cryptos will wither away, but primecoin and a few others will survive as alternatives to the expensive Bitcoins. Cuteness might appeal to marketing also, like Doge. Sad but true.

Another thought, we really need to not think of the value of a coin in terms of dollars or Euros, rather in amount of goods & services the coin can purchase,

[quote=“masterOfDisaster, post:5, topic:2381”]pillow, you are right about Peercoin. But this is about Primecoin. Its PoW is very innovative, but may ultimately suffer from the same flaws as Bitcoin…

sent by Tapatalk[/quote]

Whoops, my bad. I accidentally thought this coin was about peercoins. Sorry for the confusion. Well what can you expect from an :wheelchair: .

EDIT: I’ve not looked at primecoin in a long time. I’m going to do that now.

Primecoin difficulty is approaching 11(!). I am actually very happy that primecoin network is gaining strength in security by the transition from cpu to gpu. As I have always said, both peercoin and primecoin will have my long term support. Mikael is doing great work and bitex has mentioned they are working on fpga mining solutions.

Primecoin is designed for long term security while being the first to bring scientific computing to cryptocurrency. I am optimistic about its future development.

[quote=“Sunny King, post:9, topic:2381”]Primecoin difficulty is approaching 11(!). I am actually very happy that primecoin network is gaining strength in security by the transition from cpu to gpu. As I have always said, both peercoin and primecoin will have my long term support. Mikael is doing great work and bitex has mentioned they are working on fpga mining solutions.

Primecoin is designed for long term security while being the first to bring scientific computing to cryptocurrency. I am optimistic about its future development.[/quote]

Sunny, I think the reason this question popped up is because the community for Primecoin seems to be so small. The XPM section of this forum is VERY slow. I think people wonder how it will ever achieve any kind of momentum with such a small community. Although it really took the Peercoin community an entire year to really get going. I guess we shall see.

A new client version would be a good start to reinstate confidence in the coin.

The great thing about Primecoin is that it either stays quite decentralized in its mining process (I’m willingly ignoring pooled mining concepts :wink: ) OR brings prime number calculation and cunningham chain calculation, respectively, forward (with the rise of ASICS). The world can only win with Primecoin!
…but Primecoin itself might suffer from ASICS and centralization (just in case that is technically and economically possible!)…

sent by Tapatalk

Primecoin was a good coin to release. If you consider all the scam and junk coins out there that sprung up and died, it was a good decision to release Primecoin and it is far from dead.

The blockchain is indisputable. It’s prime numbers!

When the world is ready to make use of Primecoin, it will be ready and waiting. Perhaps it’s not today or tomorrow, but it could be…

Sunny King isn’t the type of person to release a coin so “it can go to the moooon”. His thoughts on doing things are a little more methodical and not quite so simple.

As the price drops, it brings new opportunities for latecomers like myself, who want to buy some Primecoin if it is cheap enough.

[quote=“Sunny King, post:9, topic:2381”]Primecoin difficulty is approaching 11(!). I am actually very happy that primecoin network is gaining strength in security by the transition from cpu to gpu. As I have always said, both peercoin and primecoin will have my long term support. Mikael is doing great work and bitex has mentioned they are working on fpga mining solutions.

Primecoin is designed for long term security while being the first to bring scientific computing to cryptocurrency. I am optimistic about its future development.[/quote]

SK, will prime coin benefit from Peershare? This coin is fast transaction confirmed, I like it very much.

Sadly Primecoin is still going down : XPM/BTC rate is down to 0.0012 today on BTC-e.

http://www.cryptocoincharts.info/v2/pair/xpm/btc/btc-e/1-year

Looks like a good coin, but a geek/nerd one, not mainstream anymore.

well i am not sure we can say that. i mean we did reach the same bottom back in nov 2014.
xpm seems to be very difficult to predict in terms of price.

My guess is that unless something big happens or the develoment team steps up and continues to develop xpm, the coin will only keep on slipping into oblivion. It doesn’t seem to stabilize but just keeps on falling.

I mined XPM early on, there was so much hash I soon had to get out. The fact that hash is still going up is mind blowing…alot of people hashing this coin.

Essentially its a back up coin to any flaws in BTC/LTC take your pick, due to it different function. You need a hedge into coins like this.

jubalix, this link provides XPM data.

http://xpm.muuttuja.org/charts/

Could you translate the XPM hash rate to LTC/DOGE so we can compare them directly?

The way I see it XPM is to LTC what PPC is to BTC.

At the moment it’s just being overshadowed by all the trendy new 2.0 experiments and the anoncoins. But once all the hype fades coins with fundamentals will remain.