Is Nxt a fork of Peercoin?

Is there any article, website or anything else where the properties of Nxt are compared to Peercoin? I could do this myself, but maybe somebody has already elaborated.

If not, maybe we could do a comparison here in the forum. Let’s begin with the statements that are mentioned in the article that can be found on Wikipedia about Nxt.

###Source code

• Nxt is written in Java and is a completely separate implementation of a blockchain based network. First one to be fully independent of Bitcoin as well. It’s very different technology. The first block was generated on 24 November 2013 (source), the full source code was released on 1 March 2014 (source)
  • Peercoin is written in C++ and based on the source code of Bitcoin. The source was available from the beginning.

###Premining

• Nxt was the first ICO. The whole sum of all ever available 1,000,000,000 coins were premined, distributed to 73 stakeholders (source, source that explains why the founder decided to do so)

• Peercoin’s founder and main developer Sunny King announced the planned release of Peercoin 9 days before the release. There were no blocks mined prior to launch. One forum member wrote:

> [Sunny King] released a link to the source in the other thread at the promised time (5 min before 18:00 UTC). There was no premine. By the time I had built from source and got things running, there were 5 blocks mined. ([source 1](https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99735.0), [source 2](https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101820.0), [source 3](https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101820.msg1114141#msg1114141) and also very interesting [Sunny King's response to accusations from flibbr](https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101820.msg1847081#msg1847081))

###Multisignature transactions
That is: Me and you can co-own an address and no funds can’t be spent without our mutual consent.

• Nxt has introduced multisignature capabilities on June 2015 source
  • Peercoin has multisignature capabilities since inception (e.g. it was used for the crowdfunding of Indicium), and it was part of the (now abondoned, but still usable) Peerunity wallet software, and will soon be available again in the graphical user interface of the current main wallet software (merging it into the core client was deemed lower priority) (source)

###Multisignature for minting (allowing cold minting)
That is: Your minting wallet can stay online without any coins in it, the other wallet with all your wealth is offline (=cold). They are connected via multisignature.

• Nxt doesn’t have it.
  • For Peercoin it’s on the roadmap, planned for Q4 2018 (post v0.7 development cycle) (source)

###Security and (im-)possible attacks

• Nxt has a reorganisation resistance at 720 blocks, which closes some attacks and opens up others (???).
  • In Peercoin there is no reorganisation resistance but up to date only centralised checkpointing to prevent reorganisation. However the following seem to be only myths:

###Block creation rate

• The Nxt network takes roughly 1 minute to create a new block. (source)
  • In the Peercoin network the approximate time between two blocks is 10 minutes (no source yet, but I know it because it is similar to Bitcoin’s behaviour)

###Rich list aka wealth distribution

• All the 1,000,000,000 coins of Nxt were initially distributed to 73 stakeholders (as mentioned above in the Premining section), that means 13,7 million coins per stakeholder (if equally distributed, which wasn’t the case). Today (2017-12-08) the distribution of the top 10 stakeholders looks like this (if I understand the statistics on this page right, which seems to show the minting stakeholders, called forgers in Nxt-language):

1   50,003,812   5.00 %
      2   44,170,316   4.41 %
      3   30,175,127   3.02 %
      4   10,079,928   1.01 %
      5    9,196,765   0.92 %
      6    4,071,348   0.41 %
      7    5,553,867   0.56 %
      8    2,502,153   0.25 %
      9      507,881   0.05 %
      10     151,282   0.02 %

• Peercoin has the following list of richest top 10 stakeholders (as of 2017-12-08, copied from this source):

1     2,130,836.52   8.70 %
      2     1,894,142.18   7.73 %
      3     1,026,580.99   4.19 %
      4       907,607.88   3.70 %
      5       865,785.98   3.53 %
      6       553,009.76   2.26 %
      7       303,404.16   1.24 %
      8       213,154.59   0.87 %
      9       201,092.59   0.82 %
      10      200,417.75   0.82 %

Nagalim commented on the distribution:

it is extremely easy to hide one’s wealth by sending it to different addresses […] Peercoin actually motivates against moving coins a lot, so it is unsurprising that Peercoin’s richlist looks different than other coins

###Extra features

• Nxt has (as of source 1 and source 2):
    • Data storage
    • Assets
    • Vote system
    • Marketplace (what???)
    • Alias
  • Peercoin has (as of source):
    • Coin control (what???)

###Smart contracts

• Nxt uses core transaction types that can be used to do a subset of smart-contract-like actions on the chain.
  • Peercoin: There are plans to expand on bitcoin’s script system, but not enough to call it smart.

###Fee structure

I found a small and almost unreadable infographics from January 2014 created by a Nxt supporter in this discussion.

Please join me and compare other statements, features and properties. And please correct me.

2 Likes

No, NXT is completely separate implementation of blockchain based network. First one to be fully independent of Bitcoin as well. It’s very different technology.

Peercoin has multi-signature capabilities since inception in 2012.

2 Likes

Ok, corrected. Is there a source, or example of the multisignature capabilities? Was it used somewhere?

Many, for start you can check out how Indicium was crowdfunded.

NXT was released without ICO, with total premined coins

Total? You mean all coins ever available were premined and had just 73 owners? That is gross!!

Yes! True! NXT is scam!

NXT was first “ICO”. Yes it was all distributed to just 73 people, due to lack of interest for the project. NXT raised only 20 bitcoins or so. At the time Bitcoin had more realistic price tag of 200$ or so.

We can’t be shure, that project recived this 20 BTC. Deposit was from different address, but from the same owner.
PPC is realy POS, started from 0 coins, annonced minim 7 day before release.

This was included in Peerunity. Merging it into the core client was deemed lower priority, so it was held for a later release. Saying that there was historically no GUI for multisig with Peercoin is incorrect.

Rich list and wealth distribution are fairly different things. A distributed rich list does not imply wealth distribution, as it is extremely easy to hide one’s wealth by sending it to different addresses if motivated. The coindays mechanism of Peercoin actually motivates against moving coins a lot, so it is unsurprising that Peercoin’s richlist looks different than other coins.

The biggest differences are that nxt uses a modified form of PoS (for example, they have reorg resistance at 720 blocks, which closes some attacks and opens up others) and that nxt uses core transaction types that can be used to do a subset of smart-contract-like actions on the chain. The fee structure is also substantially different, with Peercoin burning their fees while nxt recirculates as a block reward, like bitcoin.

That’s not the same multisig you are talking about.

Sorry, I am unable to read. On the roadmap is the multisig for minting. Nxt doesn’t have that, does it?

But what’s with the multisignature feature that Peerunity had? When will this be reimplemented? It isn’t on the roadmap.

Multisig you speak of is pretty basic. For example me and you can co-own a address and no funds can’t be spent without our mutual consent.

On the roadmap is the multisig for minting. Nxt doesn’t have that, does it?

Yes. AFAIK no.

Multisig minting however is protocol level thing which allows such address to participate in minting process.

And can you tell me when the GUI will have the option again (like Peerunity had)? Is it on the roadmap?

Soon, we just did not bother with it for the last release.
No, it’s not on the roadmap as it’s minor cosmetic thing.

You can still use peerunity on peercoin, even after the fork. You just won’t be able to mint blocks with it, but creating transactions, no problem!