iOS mobile Peercoin wallet

Here is a quick poll to gauge the interest for an iOS Peercoin wallet. In the post below an offer to create such a wallet at cost. A few options are explored.

iOS wallet
After a number of requests and some searching I’m in contact with a reputable and experienced developer who can deliver such an App for Peercoin within 4-6 weeks including testing. It would be based on the Breadwallet architecture (http://breadwallet.com/) which means it is a standalone wallet without the need of a backend server architecture like the Android wallet. The wallet would be opensource.
iOS marketshare is around 20% across the world in the last few years, higher in the US, lower in Asia and Europe.

Pricing
Of course the development for such a wallet doesn’t come for free, surely not in the timelines as stated above. In other posts I have dropped price indication of around 20k for full development and testing. The developer I spoke to is willing to deliver it for 18k in the timelines stated. This is certainly a lot of PPC. The big question is whether Peercoin needs this now.

Rational
Having a Peercoin iOS wallet beside an Android wallet makes sense and would cover about 90% of the mobile market. I think for Peercoin the main benefit is attracting iOS users to the platform. On average iOS users are in a better financial position so this would be an interesting demographic to provide support for.
The development of an iOS wallet would also be a great jumping stone towards Peershares support on iOS devices. All current and future Peershares platforms would benefit from it.

Nu
That brings me to another interesting viewpoint. As Nu is one of those benefiting platforms I think there is value in working together in developing an iOS wallet. A rough indication would be that developing a Nu wallet after the Peercoin wallet has been developed or vice versa would result in half the cost of the second wallet. So roughly (18+9)/2 = ~13k for each wallet. That is already a lot better than the 18k, isn’t it? And maybe even the B&C decentralised exchange can benefit from it going forward. The question is would both communities be able to fund this and would it be equally valuable to both?

I really like to hear your thoughts on whether the iOS wallet is useful for yourself or the Peercoin community, or as preparation for future Peershare platforms and how best to fund it?

Looking forward to your responses.

Is it unrealistic to imagine a combined iOS wallet for Peercoin, Peershares, and Nu, with ShapeShift functionality?

I think an iOS wallet is definitely desirable. Question is whether to fund it now or later (hoping for a higher Peercoin value). Would it be cheaper with a longer development timeframe? I don’t like cheap, but if it doesn’t impact quality and we’re not in a hurry I may not mind.

Would the wallet download the whole blockchain? I don’t understand how SPV works, but the official Breadwallet appears to use it.

[quote=“Cybnate, post:1, topic:3597”][…]
Pricing
Of course the development for such a wallet doesn’t come for free, surely not in the timelines as stated above. In other posts I have dropped price indication of around 20k for full development and testing. The developer I spoke to is willing to deliver it for 18k in the timelines stated. This is certainly a lot of PPC. The big question is whether Peercoin needs this now.

Rational
Having a Peercoin iOS wallet beside an Android wallet makes sense and would cover about 90% of the mobile market. I think for Peercoin the main benefit is attracting iOS users to the platform. On average iOS users are in a better financial position so this would be an interesting demographic to provide support for.
The development of an iOS wallet would also be a great jumping stone towards Peershares support on iOS devices. All current and future Peershares platforms would benefit from it.

Nu
That brings me to another interesting viewpoint. As Nu is one of those benefiting platforms I think there is value in working together in developing an iOS wallet. A rough indication would be that developing a Nu wallet after the Peercoin wallet has been developed or vice versa would result in half the cost of the second wallet. So roughly (18+9)/2 = ~13k for each wallet. That is already a lot better than the 18k, isn’t it? And maybe even the B&C decentralised exchange can benefit from it going forward. The question is would both communities be able to fund this and would it be equally valuable to both?
[…][/quote]
Having a PPC wallet for IOS devices would be nice, but I’m on the fence about the rationale.
PPC is the perfect crypto commodity to be handled by a mobile phone.

[ol][li]The blockchain size is small[/li]
[li]The traffic to keep it up-to-date is little[/li]
[li]Minting requires little CPU power (this might drain your battery quite fast if not aligned with findstake[/li][/ol]

But PPC is not designed to be a transactional thing. So I can’t decide whether I find it good to have mobile wallets (Android, IOS, Windows Phone?) for it…

The coinomi wallet already has that function, but is only available for Android

[quote=“jooize, post:2, topic:3597”]I think an iOS wallet is definitely desirable. Question is whether to fund it now or later (hoping for a higher Peercoin value). Would it be cheaper with a longer development timeframe? I don’t like cheap, but if it doesn’t impact quality and we’re not in a hurry I may not mind.

Would the wallet download the whole blockchain? I don’t understand how SPV works, but the official Breadwallet appears to use it.[/quote]
A whole blockchain might be possible on a mobile phone if you think of only PPC support. The blockchain not only allocates resources to save the blockchain, but you need to keep it synchronized as well.
That’s why lightweight blockchains are preferred for monile devices. Please don’t ask me about the technical details :slight_smile:

IOS wallets is important for me regarding Peershares and expanding the userbase for peercoin etc

Breadwallet from what i read is really nicely made and there is no centralised server or checking, its all done in the app itself.

I feel IOS users will see the benefit of this wallet once they play with it, sending coins from cold storage as QR scanning easier i find with phone etc… Also most key it gives you coins on the go. This was what was holding me back taking Peercoins to a meetup and being able to send to some people… too cumbersome to take a laptop really and what they going to hold the coins on if they not got a wallet already?

Disclaimer… I only own an Android phone and have no IPhone or tablet.

Fuzzybear

[quote=“FuzzyBear, post:4, topic:3597”][…]
Also most key it gives you coins on the go. This was what was holding me back taking Peercoins to a meetup and being able to send to some people… too cumbersome to take a laptop really and what they going to hold the coins on if they not got a wallet already?

Disclaimer… I only own an Android phone and have no IPhone or tablet.
[…][/quote]

For Android devices there’s the coinomi wallet that already supports PPC[sup]1[/sup] :wink:

[hr]
[sup]1[/sup] from coinomi.com: Coinomi currently supports Bitcoin, Dogecoin, Litecoin, Peercoin, Dash, Reddcoin, NuBits, NuShares, Blackcoin, Feathercoin, Rubycoin, Monacoin, Digibyte, Digitalcoin, Neoscoin, Namecoin, Vpncoin, Vertcoin, Jumbucks and Cannacoin.

Is it possible to implement a SPV wallet such as Breadwallet on Peercoin? I can’t remember where I read it but it said that Bitcoin’s version of SPV wasn’t possible to implement on Peercoin (v0.4). Does anyone know?

Peercoin is considered a ‘backbone currency’, meaning we are urged not to do ordinary transactions on the blockchain and for that reason I vote no. Decentralisation and reducing the need of mining pools in the future are IMO more important.

SPV does not work with Proof-of-Stake, so there would need to be full validation or support from a server.

SPV does not work with Proof-of-Stake, so there would need to be full validation or support from a server.[/quote]
I understand that the developer I talked to would implement full validation. Given the higher specification of Apple devices this shouldn’t be a problem imo.

On a different note, the poll paints a diverse picture. It looks like there is a minority willing to donate to get this done for Peercoin. Of course it is unclear whether that minority can bear the costs on their own, but given the numbers it is not very likely. I need to think whether it is worth starting fundraising for this in Peercoin community as you all know I’m not keen to sit on ‘dead’ PPC for a long time and I don’t feel like a bank. Please leave me a PM or BM if you or a group of people are interested in funding/donating a big chunk (e.g. 33% or more) of this work, that would be a good reason to get it started.

We need about 20k, yes?

SPV does not work with Proof-of-Stake, so there would need to be full validation or support from a server.[/quote]

This is off topic but I suspect most PPC tx happens with recent active addresses so is a semi-SPV wallet possible to only validate if all tx’es are involving addresses that has been active in the past year? The wallet only needs to remember a finite portion of the blockchain.
When the wallet sees a tx’s involving addresses older than a year, the wallet will act as if it is offline and let other nodes decide the block is valid or not.