Integrating the Forum With Peercoin.net & Switching to Discourse

Please, I beg you all not to go ahead with both integrating the forum with peercoin.net and switching to Discourse!

It will need to be voted on in the end. I don’t have the final say, nor does Fuzzy. The community does. Just so you know though, it was discussed and the domain name would remain peercointalk.org, so it wouldn’t be a true integration, just in physical appearance. For example, the domain would read peercointalk.org, but the header and menus would be the same as peercoin.net. Again though, this would need to be voted on by the community, so everyone will have their say.

I don’t think it is either. This is only one piece of the puzzle in my opinion, but it does matter to a certain degree.

However…I think I’ve seen enough resistance in this thread to hold off on this and see what a rethemed forum could look like. It’s not what I ultimately wanted, but if Fuzzy can make it as close as possible to the visuals I was expecting, then maybe this compromise will do. One thing that needs to be mandatory in a retheme though, as I’ve said before the header needs to replicate what we see on peercoin.net. It’s very important to tie in peercoin.net’s content with the forum as I’ve said in previous posts. The actual forum below the header will need to be worked on until we get the right look, similar to what we did when redesigning Peerunity’s visuals.

I don’t think it is either. This is only one piece of the puzzle in my opinion, but it does matter to a certain degree.

However…I think I’ve seen enough resistance in this thread to hold off on this and see what a rethemed forum could look like. It’s not what I ultimately wanted, but if Fuzzy can make it as close as possible to the visuals I was expecting, then maybe this compromise will do. One thing that needs to be mandatory in a retheme though, as I’ve said before the header needs to replicate what we see on peercoin.net. It’s very important to tie in peercoin.net’s content with the forum as I’ve said in previous posts. The actual forum below the header will need to be worked on until we get the right look, similar to what we did when redesigning Peerunity’s visuals.[/quote]

New theme is coming along nicely :slight_smile: have a look for yourself and let me know your thoughts Cryptoblog - notícias sobre bitcoin e criptomoedas!

Fuzzybear

[quote=“FuzzyBear, post:64, topic:3336”]New theme is coming along nicely :slight_smile: have a look for yourself and let me know your thoughts http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=3942.new#new

Fuzzybear[/quote]

OOohh I do like the new theme. I see it now (says only 2 other people are using it).

The only thing I notice is the big green leaf in the main forum view is a bit too large and when it repeats, it’s too noticeable. I wonder if we went with a smaller, semi-transparent leaf, if that could tone that down a bit.

Other than that, the rest of this looks really good. I’m going to stay on PeercoinNew for now.

[quote=“ppcman, post:65, topic:3336”][quote=“FuzzyBear, post:64, topic:3336”]New theme is coming along nicely :slight_smile: have a look for yourself and let me know your thoughts http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=3942.new#new

Fuzzybear[/quote]

OOohh I do like the new theme. I see it now (says only 2 other people are using it).

The only thing I notice is the big green leaf in the main forum view is a bit too large and when it repeats, it’s too noticeable. I wonder if we went with a smaller, semi-transparent leaf, if that could tone that down a bit.

Other than that, the rest of this looks really good. I’m going to stay on PeercoinNew for now.[/quote]
Hey ppcman many thanks for the feedback very much appreciated :slight_smile:

Made leaf on main page smaller and slightly lighter how that look?

Fuzzybear

Just catching up on this one. This looks like it is tearing the community apart! Hope we can all go forward as one though.

I agree that changing forum software is not the answer to sweep Peercoin up to new heights. Discourse is nice, but given the costs (or transfer of administrator), I’m not very keen to go this way.
As I’ve mentioned before Discourse doesn’t support older phones and tablets (3yr+) which are no longer updated by the manufacturers. I’ve found a way around to just have email updates when people post in my favorite threads as Discourse doesn’t work properly. I did notice that they did try to improve that recently. At least I can now open and read threads, but many functions like posting do not work properly and soem functions are not visible or accessible. It is certainly something to take into account for people in developing countries who are at least 1 or more generations behind us as it is not affordable for them to update every 1 or 2 years.

SMF is still being developed and many things can be added as @fuzzybear already did with the mentions. I’m sure there is more. I rather have an enthusiastic administrator who can read and write with the current software (SMF) and has a solid track record then someone ’ cheap’ running Discourse.

I think it is worth ‘theming’ SMF a bit and explore what could be improved and maybe add some of the tricks Discourse has in the next month before we make a decision to move forum software.

Just my 0.02 PPC

This is a repost of mine from this thread: http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=3942.0

Fuzzy, I think the work you’ve been doing to alter the original theme is great, but here is what I have in mind. We should have several themes to choose from and one default…

1. (Default Theme) dzinerstudion theme with the alterations that I’ve made.
2. (Optional Theme 1) The original theme altered with Peercoin colors. (what you’ve been working on the past couple days.)
3. (Optional Theme 2) The original blue theme for those who don’t want anything to change at all.

The dzinerstudio theme you saw me working on over the past several posts was just an unfinished concept I was working on while I was at work. When I got home, I spent around 4-5 hours altering this design to create a widescreen version. It also now includes the light gray background pieces behind the posts and board titles that were missing. The only thing that seems to be missing now is the Peercointalk.org logo, which I’m waiting on my designer for.

In light of some of the resistance that I’ve received and some convincing arguments, I’ve decided not to pursue discourse any longer. However, I want this new design I’ve been working on to be the default theme for the forum. The current theme should be one of the optional ones. This would require purchasing of the theme and some of the alterations I’ve made from the original design. You also said it would take more work to install the plugins on the new theme.

Please tell me how much you’d charge to buy this theme, set it up, make the required alterations and reinstall the plugins. Once I have a price for the work required, I’ll see what I can do. This should most likely be the final design, with the exception of the unfinished text logo in the upper left corner. Please zoom in if you must in order to get the full detail…

Full-Size: http://i.imgur.com/NO7XsdD.png