Improving minting efficiency

There is an improvement on minting efficiency by yacoin (YAC, which is an offspring of NVC, which is an offspring of Peercoin) at http://yacointalk.grokonet.com/t/pos-mining-performance-boost/67

YAC appears to generate POS blocks faster for a typical owner mainly due to a smaller mumber of ownership, so the wallet is more easily fragmented into many more stakes after stake splitting, than a typical Peercoin wallet. Because every second the wallet will test every valid stake, when you have 250 stakes, like the YAC dev does, the wallet becomes busy.

I haven’t looked into the detail of the fix (three files are changed on github). Does it fix something YAC-specific or something general to all POS wallet including Peercoin wallet? I don’t know. I have 8 unspent outputs in my wallet and the CPU use for minting is undetectable on my laptop. I can see about 10% CPU use between minting and not minting on the same wallet on Peerbox. So if I had 250 stakes there could be a problem with minting with a Peerbox.

Not sure if this is an issue or priority for Peercoin I thought I would leave the observation here.