Importing backup of wallet.dat?

Hey guys!

I wasn’t sure where to post this since there isn’t a technical section, so if it’s in the wrong spot, please feel free to move!

My HDD failed on my laptop yesterday, and luckily I had a backup of my QT wallet, but I can’t figure out how the heck to import it into a new wallet on the new disk. Can someone please point me in the right direction? I did a search, and tried a few of the things that I came up with, but nothing has worked so far.

Thanks!!

Ok, so what I have done so far is dl’d the PeercoinQT onto a new laptop. Now, before I let the wallet download the Blockchain, would I just take and move a copy of my backup into the folder that is named “src”? I had just thought that I would find the folder that was named wallet.dat, but I don’t see any such folder/file anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!

[quote=“LouReed, post:2, topic:2126”]Ok, so what I have done so far is dl’d the PeercoinQT onto a new laptop. Now, before I let the wallet download the Blockchain, would I just take and move a copy of my backup into the folder that is named “src”? I had just thought that I would find the folder that was named wallet.dat, but I don’t see any such folder/file anywhere.

Thanks![/quote]

FYR:
It is located under the directory: C:\Users\richard\AppData\Roaming\PPCoin

[quote=“caribou, post:3, topic:2126”][quote=“LouReed, post:2, topic:2126”]Ok, so what I have done so far is dl’d the PeercoinQT onto a new laptop. Now, before I let the wallet download the Blockchain, would I just take and move a copy of my backup into the folder that is named “src”? I had just thought that I would find the folder that was named wallet.dat, but I don’t see any such folder/file anywhere.

Thanks![/quote]

FYR:
It is located under the directory: C:\Users\richard\AppData\Roaming\PPCoin[/quote]

Thank you for your reply, Caribou!!

Ok, yes I did find that folder. Inside that folder I have the following folders:

daemon ppcoind.exe (Command Line)

src

license.txt (Read Only)

ppcoin-qt.exe

readme.txt (Read Only)

uninstall.exe

I ASSume that I would move the PPC backup.dat folder into the src folder, correct? Or would I just put it in C:\Program Files\PPCoin along with the above mentioned folders?

Once I get it in the right spot, I will have to wait for the QT to sync up to the Blockchain before my coins will show in my new wallet, correct? I dl’d the Peercoin wallet on my new pc, but did not launch it yet, I figured it is probably best to wait until I have the backup file in place before running the new wallet, correct??

Thanks!!

[quote=“LouReed, post:4, topic:2126”][quote=“caribou, post:3, topic:2126”][quote=“LouReed, post:2, topic:2126”]Ok, so what I have done so far is dl’d the PeercoinQT onto a new laptop. Now, before I let the wallet download the Blockchain, would I just take and move a copy of my backup into the folder that is named “src”? I had just thought that I would find the folder that was named wallet.dat, but I don’t see any such folder/file anywhere.

Thanks![/quote]

FYR:
It is located under the directory: C:\Users\richard\AppData\Roaming\PPCoin[/quote]

Ok, yes I did find that folder. Inside that folder I have the following folders:

src

license.txt (Read Only)

ppcoin-qt.exe

readme.txt (Read Only)

uninstall.exe

I ASSume that I would move the PPC backup.dat folder into the src folder, correct? Or would I just put it in C:\Program Files\PPCoin along with the above mentioned folders?

Once I get it in the right spot, I will have to wait for the QT to sync up to the Blockchain before my coins will show in my new wallet, correct? I dl’d the Peercoin wallet on my new pc, but did not launch it yet, I figured it is probably best to wait until I have the backup file in place before running the new wallet, correct??

Thanks!![/quote]

Don’t move the folder, just COPY the wallet.dat file into that folder and over write the one in there. Note there will not be a wallet.dat file in that location until the wallet is opened for the first time. C:\Users\richard\AppData\Roaming\PPCoin
should be where the file goes. Switch out richard with w/e user name you are using.

[quote=“spazzdla, post:5, topic:2126”][quote=“LouReed, post:4, topic:2126”][quote=“caribou, post:3, topic:2126”][quote=“LouReed, post:2, topic:2126”]Ok, so what I have done so far is dl’d the PeercoinQT onto a new laptop. Now, before I let the wallet download the Blockchain, would I just take and move a copy of my backup into the folder that is named “src”? I had just thought that I would find the folder that was named wallet.dat, but I don’t see any such folder/file anywhere.

Thanks![/quote]

FYR:

src

license.txt (Read Only)

ppcoin-qt.exe

readme.txt (Read Only)

uninstall.exe

Thanks!![/quote]

Don’t move the folder, just COPY the wallet.dat file into that folder and over write the one in there. Note there will not be a wallet.dat file in that location until the wallet is opened for the first time. C:\Users\richard\AppData\Roaming\PPCoin
should be where the file goes. Switch out richard with w/e user name you are using.[/quote]

Ok, I did find the location on my pc, but it is C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\PPCoin

The “Roaming” part is not there. Does that matter?

Also, the name of my backup is PPC backup.dat, do I need to change it to just wallet.dat?

Thanks!!

Ok, so I did get the backup file in the right place finally, but there are no coins in my wallet yet. I am about 3/4 through updating the Blockchain, do I need to wait for the entire thing to finish before they show?

Yes. Otherwise the ppcoin software won’t know where it is, it doesn’t just open any file that is in that folder.

If your file isn’t named wallet.dat then it won’t be seen by the Peercoin-QT wallet client.

Also, make sure that the copied wallet.dat is in that folder before you open up the Peercoin-QT client software. (If it is already running, and then you copy wallet.dat there, it is too late)

Coins are back, safe and sound where they belong! Thanks for the help, guys!!

Peace!!

I have the same issue with my laptop, and my touch sensor was not working when I take a backup on my laptop. Then I have searched and find https://babasupport.org/hp/hp-laptop-touchpad-not-working/
They give me the proper guide to solve my touchpad issue. After that, I could take backup on my laptop.