If Mycelium Entropy Hits Their $40,000 Stretch Target, They'll Support Peercoin

Mycelium Entropy has confirmed that they’ll add support for Peercoin if they reach their $40,000 fundraising stretch target. $11,000 needs to be raised in order for this to happen. Mycelium Entropy is a small USB device that uses hardware based entropy to generate printable paper wallets, without ever needing to touch a computer or network. As soon as you eject the device, the private key is wiped from memory. Here is their fundraising page which contains more information and videos…

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mycelium-entropy

This could be a really useful tool for Peercoin. I remember I made like 200 paper wallets to distribute my Peercoins between them (Because I was new to this and paranoid about losing them.) It took me about a week to finish. If I had been able to use something like this, I would have been finished in no time, no need to throw dice, use Ubuntu, reformat my hard drive and lots of other time wasters.

Is there anything that can be done to make this happen? The only way I see it being done is if a large Peercoin holder was to donate the remaining $11,000. I don’t think encouraging small donations is wise, because we most likely wouldn’t make it before the time ends and then everyone who donated will get nothing for their money. If there’s some PPC whale that doesn’t want to pay in USD themselves, we could maybe setup something on Peer4commit, have them donate and then we’ll exchange for USD and donate on their behalf. Would anybody be interested in doing this?

There is no need for such thing.
They ask too much for something every modern CPU has integrated, even Raspberry Pi (worth 35$) has hardware random number generator.
I do understand that it will be nicely packaged, shiny and easy to use but they ask too much. And product wont come cheap, probably with limited availability for USA only.
Also where is the source for it?

Now this will sound like self promotion but it is something I must say.
We already have Peerbox in the works and for 11k$ Peerbox could sing and grow bananas.
There is no obstacle but time to implement such features in Peerbox, to generate paper wallets without hassling with Ubuntu or ever connecting it to untrusted Windows/OS X machine.

So you could make it so any Peerbox device could connect to a printer and do the same? I think the point is so it doesn’t have to connect to any type of computer or network, no matter the operating system.

I agree with Peerchemist – it’s probably not an extremely effective use of funds. They need $1k more to support Litecoin, which will probably be reached. This leaves roughly $10,000 on the Peercoin community.

I’m not expecting us to raise this money. I’m just posting this in case there are any extremely large holders that are interested. This would be like pocket change for them. If there are none, then we should ignore it.

yes.

I think the point is so it doesn't have to connect to any type of computer or network, no matter the operating system.

It does connect to OS, since it needs their wallet software to actually make the print. That is how I understand it.

p.s.

I take back:

it actually is open-source, at least claimed to be

it is made in Austria

The site says that the Litecoin support will come as a downloadable feature. If this is open source, do you think we could build a Peercoin downloadable feature, as well?

I know you’ve cut out a lot of features in order to make Peerbox secure for running nodes and minting. Would incorporating something like this in Peerbox open up any attack vectors, or would it be a completely separate thing that only gets activated once you plug into a printer? I just want to make sure adding features like this wouldn’t make using Peerbox less secure for minting.

So you’re saying maybe Peerchemist could take this and incorporate it into Peerbox, without having to redo everything from scratch?

no he is saying that device can be “flashed” with program to support any coin. They will make it work with LTC, but there is no problem to extend it to support PPC later.

My understanding is not that the big advantage is hardware based random number generator, rather the big advantage is that this device creates random private key/public address pairs and prints them out without the need to ever be directly connected to the Internet. Thus, there is no direct path of infection for malware. No matter how sophisticated that malware may become in the future.

Same understanding here. That was the reason why I bought one and now I’m hoping for Peercoin support one day…

Bump.

Mycelium Entropy made their Litecoin target, with 4 days remaining. This leaves a little over $9000 on the Peercoin community. :wink:

[quote=“Chronos, post:13, topic:2796”]Mycelium Entropy made their Litecoin target, with 4 days remaining. This leaves a little over $9000 on the Peercoin community. :wink:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mycelium-entropy[/quote]

It sure would be nice to get some of these for Peercoin. I wonder if we got the Custom Business Pack with Peercoin Logos if he would consider coding in Peercoin compatibility? Perhaps for more money or less number of units delivered?

I think these could make great prizes to give away for contests sponsored by the marketing fund. What do you think?

I think we should ask: “For the $2000 USD Business Pack, can we get them customized for Peercoin wallets?”

Now that we have already hit the +50% stretch goal for Litecoin, they could probably add Peercoin support relatively easily.

I did ask your question. At least I think I did. Why don’t you ask too?

When I sent my specialized indegogo mail it asked for sign up, which I reluctantly did, and then it gave me an error message, so I’m not sure if my message was sent. Probably not, it now seems to me. Chronos, if you ask and get a reply be sure to let me know. Ok?

I just sent them the email below. I’ll let you know what we find out. Thanks!

EDIT: They just replied, and will be getting back to us with an answer early next week.

Hi,

I am writing on behalf of the Peercoin community at http://peercointalk.org. We are interested in adding Peercoin support for the Mycelium Entropy, but have not been able to raise sufficient capital to reach the associated stretch goal via your Indiegogo campaign.

We are, however, considering contributing at the Customized Business Pack level, as a community. If we move forward with this, would it be possible to have the 40 Mycelium devices shipped with Peercoin support?

Thank you,
Chronos

[quote=“Chronos, post:17, topic:2796”]I just sent them the email below. I’ll let you know what we find out. Thanks!

EDIT: They just replied, and will be getting back to us with an answer early next week.

Hi,

I am writing on behalf of the Peercoin community at http://peercointalk.org. We are interested in adding Peercoin support for the Mycelium Entropy, but have not been able to raise sufficient capital to reach the associated stretch goal via your Indiegogo campaign.

We are, however, considering contributing at the Customized Business Pack level, as a community. If we move forward with this, would it be possible to have the 40 Mycelium devices shipped with Peercoin support?

Thank you,
Chronos

[/quote]

Excellent. I am eager to hear their reply.

I haven’t really been following this but is Peercoin going to be added anyway? A Mycelium dev posted on the subreddit that Peercoin will be supported “if we reach the next goal”. At that time, $30,000 was the “next goal” and that has now been reached.

The custom pack would still be nice though.

I think he was meaning the $40,000 goal, since his intent was to clarify that it would be Peercoin, not another altcoin, that would be added. The original goals list said:

If we raise $40,000, we will add the second more popular blockchain-based cryptocurrency by market cap, which at present is Peercoin

Since it is no longer Peercoin, the dev was clarifying this point.