IDEA: Stop telling too many people about peercoin to keep the price low for now

Too many people are finding out about the value of Peercoin too early. I haven’t had enough time to buy enough coins yet.

Maybe if we stop telling people about peercoin, the price can stay low for a little while longer?

It’s going to shoot up and probably pass Litecoin any time now at this rate. That’s going to be expensive for those of us that want to buy more coins.

;D

I thought you were going to say it’s too early because we’re not organized enough yet. Unfortunately if we don’t give it our all now, it’s possible we could be surpassed by a lesser coin.

[quote=“ppcman, post:1, topic:984”]Too many people are finding out about the value of Peercoin too early. I haven’t had enough time to buy enough coins yet.

Maybe if we stop telling people about peercoin, the price can stay low for a little while longer?

It’s going to shoot up and probably pass Litecoin any time now at this rate. That’s going to be expensive for those of us that want to buy more coins.[/quote]

Don’t be too greedy Bro. The more people know about peercoin, the more it is likely to succeed. And I believe the more evenly peercoin distribute among people, the more popular it gets. We should avoid manipulating the market. We should try to harness it when big speculators play with the market.

Our goal is to make a great currency, to make some differeces. And if we can achieve that, we will be rewarded, fair and square.

Oh, don’t worry about being surpassed by a lesser coin at this stage. To prove that, read this post

By spring of 2014, Peercoin will be well above $50/coin without needing to pump it in my opinion.

Sunny King did the right thing. He designed the network to be solid first and foremost, and then decided to work on newer, prettier versions of the wallet client second.

Unfortunately I’ve seen other “lesser coins” be nothing but pump and dump schemes.

Peercoin was designed, purposely, for the long term.

That’s why I’m worried if people pump it now. It’s too early. It is true, in my opinion, Peercoin’s value will be much larger than Bitcoin in the long run. Once everyone realizes it, all early adopters would already own plenty of PPC.

In cryptotrading, a currency can spike overnight. However once the world realizes what Peercoin has to offer, it will have the exact same maniac buying that Bitcoin has now, probably more.

Whatever you are holding now, I think you can consider 1 PPC equal to or greater than 1 BTC in the next year or two.

do you think ppc will be worth over 1 btc, even if there are more ppc in circulation? , so you can buy more bitcoins than that exist with the peercoins? (which is not possible imo)

Certainly, it’s possible to see that PPC could be, ultimately, worth more than BTC, even if there are more (full) PPC in existence.

While this seems counter-intuitive, if all things are considered equal, you only have to look so far as how fungible the currency is.

For BTC, with the ability to move to the 8th decimal point, you have a nearly limitless number of units in circulation. With PPC, the static transaction fee is a significant hedge against anyone using the currency to conduct business past 2 decimal places. Now, for things like Proof-of-Stake rewards, being divisible down to the 8th decimal point is very important. You don’t want to lose any of those micro payments, because over time they will accumulate to be full PPC, but for all intents and purposes, Peercoin’s 2,000,000,000 (“uncapped”) potential units in circulation is vastly smaller than BTC’s 21,000,000 units, when you consider that BTC is really going to be separated into 2,099,999,999,999,999 satoshi.

That’s a HUGE number, and one that most people either don’t realize exists, or gloss over because it doesn’t fit the narrative.

With PPC, there’s realistically going to be ~30,000,000 units in circulation, and if you take it down to the “one cent”, it’s 3,000,000,000 units – which, if my math is correct tonight, will only amount to 0.1% of the total BTC supply.

1 Like

While I was replying, Ben came in and said something similar about the static transaction fee. (thanks Ben, we’re on the same page)

Here’s my version:

Yes.

Peercoin purposely set its transaction fee at a fixed 0.01.

When I first heard that, I thought, OMG why did Sunny King do that?

That’s the genius of it all, it was done on purpose, keep reading…

Which means that the transaction fee can be expensive once PPC is more than $1/coin, because no longer is it 0.01 PPC = 0.01 USD a transaction fee, right?

Right now 1 PPC is $7.00/coin. To transfer 1 PPC, it will cost you 0.07 USD = 0.01 PPC

So consider the fact that as of today (Nov 30, 2013) to transfer $7.00 USD (1 PPC) around the world, will cost you 7 cents (0.01) PPC - that is a fair price for such a transfer.

Now let’s look toward the future of Peercoin / PPC:

BUT! THE TRANSACTION FEE STILL STAYS AT 0.01 PPC.

Now watch how an expensive 0.01 PPC transaction fee forces it to eventually be rare (like gold) and automatically become a cryptocurrency backbone any coin can use:

If other crypto-coins use PPC as it’s main backbone, you might see things like this:

Example:

An ATM machine that distributes FUTURECOIN (whatever it is called), that has 1,000 futurecoins selling at $3/each, might secure itself instead of being FUTURE/BTC it would be FUTURE/PPC as a unit of measure

The FUTURECOIN ATM contacts the PPC network (which is like gold in cryptocurrency terms) and says "Yes, I know PPC is $5,000 per PPC, and the transaction fee is 0.01, which would equal $50, please send me 1 PPC)

So $5,000 worth of PPC (1 coin), would cost 0.01 transaction fee ($50) to transfer to the FUTURECOIN ATM bank machine

The ATM bank machine would be handling microtransactions (less than $5,000) but it would hold 1 PPC worth of value.

I know this is getting a little complicated fast. But most people don’t even know how the internal VISA and Mastercard or ATM Debit network works either.

Simply put:

PPC will be like the Federal Reserve (public audited version of money in this case, where everyone can see the blockchain)

All the other currencies would use PPC as it’s backbone, and then do microcurrency transactions from it.

We’re thinking a few years in advance. Asking these questions now will just confuse you.

But yes, in my opinion, PPC will be worth more than BTC or even FUTURECOIN which is yet to be invented.

ah yes, i forgot about the decimal places, this is so smart, i can imagine people selling all the altcoins for /ppc, and everybody will value their things based on the amount of ppc it is worth (instead of fiat) . o_O mindblowing, i should think about these things more , very interesting indeed

[quote=“ppcman, post:8, topic:984”]While I was replying, Ben came in and said something similar about the static transaction fee. (thanks Ben, we’re on the same page)

Here’s my version:

Yes.

Peercoin purposely set its transaction fee at a fixed 0.01.

When I first heard that, I thought, OMG why did Sunny King do that?

That’s the genius of it all, it was done on purpose, keep reading…

Which means that the transaction fee can be expensive once PPC is more than $1/coin, because no longer is it 0.01 PPC = 0.01 USD a transaction fee, right?

Right now 1 PPC is $7.00/coin. To transfer 1 PPC, it will cost you 0.07 USD = 0.01 PPC

So consider the fact that as of today (Nov 30, 2013) to transfer $7.00 USD (1 PPC) around the world, will cost you 7 cents (0.01) PPC - that is a fair price for such a transfer.

Now let’s look toward the future of Peercoin / PPC:

BUT! THE TRANSACTION FEE STILL STAYS AT 0.01 PPC.

Now watch how an expensive 0.01 PPC transaction fee forces it to eventually be rare (like gold) and automatically become a cryptocurrency backbone any coin can use:

If other crypto-coins use PPC as it’s main backbone, you might see things like this:

Example:

An ATM machine that distributes FUTURECOIN (whatever it is called), that has 1,000 futurecoins selling at $3/each, might secure itself instead of being FUTURE/BTC it would be FUTURE/PPC as a unit of measure

The FUTURECOIN ATM contacts the PPC network (which is like gold in cryptocurrency terms) and says "Yes, I know PPC is $5,000 per PPC, and the transaction fee is 0.01, which would equal $50, please send me 1 PPC)

So $5,000 worth of PPC (1 coin), would cost 0.01 transaction fee ($50) to transfer to the FUTURECOIN ATM bank machine

The ATM bank machine would be handling microtransactions (less than $5,000) but it would hold 1 PPC worth of value.

I know this is getting a little complicated fast. But most people don’t even know how the internal VISA and Mastercard or ATM Debit network works either.

Simply put:

PPC will be like the Federal Reserve (public audited version of money in this case, where everyone can see the blockchain)

All the other currencies would use PPC as it’s backbone, and then do microcurrency transactions from it.

We’re thinking a few years in advance. Asking these questions now will just confuse you.

But yes, in my opinion, PPC will be worth more than BTC or even FUTURECOIN which is yet to be invented.[/quote]

It’s pretty interesting once you realize what Peercoin is designed to be. Most people just don’t get it yet, they think it’s another Bitcoin, which is fine for now. The future will be very interesting indeed.

That’s why I am thinking we should be quiet about PPC and not try to get a lot of people to invest.

Once the mainstream media starts talking about why Bitcoin has faults, they can all be solved by Peercoin as the backbone, with Bitcoin being a child of Peercoin.

This isn’t an idea. It is a a fact in my opinion. Within the next 6 months people are going to realize that Peercoin isn’t a child like Bitcoin or Litecoin. It is a completely newer technology that will be worth more than Bitcoin.

I really do believe that 1 PPC will be worth more than $1,000 USD

People sometimes have a hard time to realize that. Well if Bitcoin can go from $31 January 2013 to $1,000 by Nov 2013, does it not make sense that Peercoin (better designed than Bitcoin as a longterm crytocurrency backbone) could reach the same levels? Of course…

I enjoyed reading these posts. I agree with it all. The name “Peercoin” isn’t as catchy as “Bitcoin” as everyone knows Bits and Bytes… We need to push forward the name… Or rename it so that aunty Audrey can relate to it. Just a thought… But maybe not a good idea lol

Cat’s already out of the bag :wink: Look at our Facebook feed or Twitter account. Or even just try searching for Peercoin in Google News. 6 months ago you’d get nothing…times have changed.

We’re past the point of keeping Peercoin a secret; it needs to be spread across the world to anyone who can find a use for it.

We don’t need to launch some kind of surprise. I think the way we are progressing is great fun and I’d like to see it expand even further. There’s really no guarantee Bitcoin is going to have any problems anytime soon.

I find Peercoin a great name… there’s already been a history with the name, it’s over. Peercoin rolls off the tongue just fine with all the people I’ve been talking to about it in person.

As much as I want to keep it as a secret, I think it is not all possible… Thanks Ben for the insight, I am learning new things everyday from this forum. :wink:

Peercoin is a great name, the more I talk about it and use it the more I like it. BTW, this is a really good post, a good read, people need to understand Peercoin is Awesomazing!!! We need to share it, not keep it a secret. We need to help this broken world!

Peercoin is the perfect name for a peer to peer currency.

The reason for good quality publicity: to attract more quality people to develop Peercoin - a lot of work needs to be done!

Why would you want to keep it a secret? So you can make more money? lol. Don’t be greedy bro.

I have no money invested in this because I am flat broke, and I can’t mine as you need asic equipment, but I want this to spread everywhere as I love the idea of it. Virtual currency appeals to me, and I think if the world gets a taste for it they will love it too.

[quote=“Chris180Z, post:19, topic:984”]Why would you want to keep it a secret? So you can make more money? lol. Don’t be greedy bro.

I have no money invested in this because I am flat broke, and I can’t mine as you need asic equipment, but I want this to spread everywhere as I love the idea of it. Virtual currency appeals to me, and I think if the world get a taste for it they will love it too.[/quote]

This kind of objective support is exactly what Peercoin and cryptos need. I’ve known about PPC for ages now and it only occurred to me to investigate its fundamentals (in depth) a couple of days ago. Anyway, sending 1 PPC your way for inspiring me to finally register on this forum, enjoy!