I would like to suggest a different wordpress theme for peercoin.net

Hey yall,

Is anybody totally in love with the current theme for the peercoin.net website? Anybody know how that got selected? I think it would be great if we at least tried to get some consensus on these things.

In any case, I would like to suggest we flip out the current theme for this one. I suggested this one in the official website thread, and a few people liked it, but then somehow the current theme got put in.

Check this one out: http://themeforest.net/item/just-one-responsive-parallax-wordpress-theme/5742132

Can we get a few votes - yaye for this new one OR stay with the current one?

Yeah, I was wondering that myself but didn’t protest because I thought the site looked pretty good. We didn’t really get to discuss it and find out if most people like it before putting it up. I think the website should be more of a group effort than it has been. At least we’ve been getting certain links added and things fixed, so it has been moving forward.

Yeah, I know Super3 has been working hard on it and updating things. I think the site is nice but I think it can be better and selecting a good template that gives a lot out of the box is key.

Maybe going forward, for consensus, we can try to start a new topic and ask for votes in the subject line - for major changes anyway.

That sounds good and I don’t want to criticize super3 because he’s been doing great work, but if there is one suggestion I could make, it’s to be a little bit more open and transparent and come to the community first to see what they think.

That’s at least what I tried to do when we were designing our logo. That way everyone gets to express their opinion and everyone feels like they’ve been heard, even if it ultimately goes in a different direction than what they wanted to see.

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:4, topic:774”]That sounds good and I don’t want to criticize super3 because he’s been doing great work, but if there is one suggestion I could make, it’s to be a little bit more open and transparent and come to the community first to see what they think.

That’s at least what I tried to do when we were designing our logo. That way everyone gets to express their opinion and everyone feels like they’ve been heard, even if it ultimately goes in a different direction than what they wanted to see.[/quote]I feel like I’ve done a decent job of openness. Everyone can see the code, and contribute. I’m going to add a script later so that the website is automatically updated from the repo.

I only ask that people post website issues on the repo https://github.com/super3/Peercoin.net/issues?state=open. I can’t simultaneously read all the forum topics, so I think it is a good place to organize website changes. That way I can see your issue, discuss, make the changes, and then close the issue. Typically I get to those in about 24 hours.

When I said that I was mainly referring to the fact that nobody really got to discuss the choosing of the current theme. It seems like it was chosen for us. Other than that, you’ve been responding to everyone’s concerns, fixing or adding things and doing a stellar job! I’m not sure if it’s worth changing the theme now, but I do really like the one that hammyburger linked in the first post. I actually thought we were originally going to go with that theme when we first started talking about the website. Here it is up close…

http://m.elgendy.me/demo/justone/?skin=default

I personally like the dark one the best, but I don’t know if it would mesh well with our logo and the green message behind the coin…

http://m.elgendy.me/demo/justone/?skin=dark

I think we can do without all the animation and moving text though and just have it similar to the way we have it now, with the logo on the right, some text on the left and an image banner in the background. I like the buttons better than what we have right now, mainly because they’re right under the banner and they contain drop down menus. We might need drop down menus if we get too many pages on the website to link to and run out of room for new buttons. That’s my opinion, not sure if it’s worth changing now though.

Agree on all Sentinelrv. I really like the dark one as well.

Super3, would love to know what you think about switching it out for the current one.

I would be happy to assist in rebuilding the content.

Also to note, I’d be willing to foot the bill for the theme - its only about $40 usd.

When I said that I was mainly referring to the fact that nobody really got to discuss the choosing of the current theme. It seems like it was chosen for us. Other than that, you’ve been responding to everyone’s concerns, fixing or adding things and doing a stellar job! I’m not sure if it’s worth changing the theme now, but I do really like the one that hammyburger linked in the first post. I actually thought we were originally going to go with that theme when we first started talking about the website. Here it is up close…

http://m.elgendy.me/demo/justone/?skin=default

I personally like the dark one the best, but I don’t know if it would mesh well with our logo and the green message behind the coin…

http://m.elgendy.me/demo/justone/?skin=dark

I think we can do without all the animation and moving text though and just have it similar to the way we have it now, with the logo on the right, some text on the left and an image banner in the background. I like the buttons better than what we have right now, mainly because they’re right under the banner and they contain drop down menus. We might need drop down menus if we get too many pages on the website to link to and run out of room for new buttons. That’s my opinion, not sure if it’s worth changing now though.[/quote]

I do like the design of this one a lot. It would need to have our colors though (green/gold instead of pink/teal)

I agree, we would need to switch to our colors, but these are just samples anyway.

JustaBitofTime put in a request on GitHub to add a link to the myths website. This is an important website that people need to see so I said it should be put up top as a button that says “Myths.” We would do the same with a FAQ whenever one was made. Super3 thought the top was getting too cluttered, so he put it at the bottom of the website where not as many people will see it.

I think maybe this might be a sign that we picked the wrong theme. The one linked on this thread is able to support many more links, plus it has drop down menus. We’re going to have many more pages of content to add and if it’s getting too cluttered already, maybe we should go with the one hammyburger posted as it will allow us much more room to grow. What do you think?

I agree with everything you just said.

Super3 - What are your thoughts on all this? Do you agree with hammy/Sentinel’s assessment, or do you feel their proposed design has flaws we aren’t considering?

As well: what does our community think? There are probably 100 passive readers reading this thread at any point…if you have an opinion, let us know!

Yes, don’t let us do all the talking! We need you to tell us what YOU think!

First of all: great job super3! The web site now looks informative, structured and not just like a link dump.

Albeit I share the claim to evolve things. I like the theme from hammyburger’s post, because of some possible benefits.

[ul][li]The image banner on top of the peercoin.net page with the new theme could be accompanied with the banner on Peercoin’s Facebook profile which stregthens brand recognition (at least if such a banner is concensus).[/li]
[li]The buttons with pull-down menus offer better sorting than just buttons; the site stays tidier even if it may grow much more.[/li]
[li]With the row of buttons staying on top of the page you have easy access to links without need of scrolling all way up.[/li]
[li]The colors need for sure be adjusted to suit the Peercoin colors.[/li]
[li]If there might be need to change the theme in near future, I’d rather do it now. Changing themes on web sites might get on people’s nerves. Some like continuity. One might tie a steady layout to the steadiness of Peercoin itself (I know that there is no logical reason for doing this as development includes the need for changes; but perception psychology might prove that assumption right).
The later it becomes changed, the more people could be bothered (as hopefully the number of visitors grows :wink: )[/li][/ul]

Yes, if we’re going to do it, it’s probably better to do it now rather than wait. I’d like to know what Super3 thinks. If he needs help, some have already offered.

About the Facebook banner, we thought it might be better to make it an announcement billboard that shows off important information. Check the Facebook page thread I made for more info.

NAK on most of these except the dropdowns. Will explain better in a Github repo.

NAK means negative right?

Yeah, negative acknowledgement.

I posted the requested on github here: https://github.com/super3/Peercoin.net/issues/11

[quote=“hammyburger, post:17, topic:774”]Yeah, negative acknowledgement.

I posted the requested on github here: https://github.com/super3/Peercoin.net/issues/11[/quote]

Posted my main reason on there for supporting this.

Addressed in the repo

Here is his post.

[quote=“super3, post:19, topic:774”]I am going to say no for now. My reasons:

1. Very heavy javascript and lots of animation is going to lead to a slow and poorly loading website
  2. Wordpress is now going to be updated and maintained
  3. The template is not going to fit easily with the color scheme we want
  4. There might be a template better than this out there that can address 1 and 3, which would bring my arguments down to only 2.

The good:

• The website looks flashy in a good way. New users will probably like it.
  • Official blog built into the website will allow us to easily manage press, etc.

That being said, I’m not the website dictator. If it is the general consensus that we want that template instead then these things need to happen:

• Someone needs to buy the template
  • Someone needs to writeup all the text for the website, and have multiple people approve it for accuracy and errors[/quote]

I mentioned in the thread that we should remove all that animation and just have the image banner up there above the navigation, the text and logo. I completely agree the animation isn’t necessary and will slow down the website. We would also have to select the right colors to fit with our logo.

I’m not an expert on websites, so I don’t know what to say here. Would it be possible to add drop down menus to the current website, that way we could group items together?