HTML5 wallet idea

I gonna do it.
I think.

I think this could be kind of in the spirit of Peercoin, while offering a much sought after wallet that will be able to run on most platforms, reducing the cost of getting wallets on all platforms.

Since it is meant for “pocket change”, I think the lightweight model would work perfectly fine. Minting and all that jazz wouldn’t have to be supported, because the wallet isn’t meant to store lot’s of coins for long period of times anyway.

I want something like this, so that I can give people some peercoins on the go, when I meet new people and talk about it. The no installation requirement is super important in this use-case.

Yes! Would be great to have something like this :slight_smile:

I think @bkchain was on his way to build something like that, but I haven’t seen him for a while on the forum, but I noticed he is still responsive on github. His site bkchain.org is also still running. He might be interested to further work on it when nudged.

I believe there is also some useful source code in his repo on github, which was never implemented. You can also find two of his repositories on peer4commit.com.

Ok. I’ve decided to take a stab at this thing. Please, please, IF you’re planning on doing a Peercoin wallet yourself, please PM me. I really don’t want to spend time on doing something that someone else is already doing (and most likely doing a much better job at then me).

If you want it to be a secret, I will of course not tell anyone about it. If so, just PM me.

EDIT: Dear reader, don’t expect me to ever finish something. If we’re really, really lucky I just might create a github project and commit a README.md file. ;). Don’t get your hopes up here.

Ask bkchain, he already created brainwallet- to make it in rushwallet style ask him to support https://bkchain.org/ppc/wallet#BASE58_SEED (or MASTER_PRIVKEY - fast opening, or ENCRYPTED_MASTER_PRIVKEY - password protected).

Looking at the rushwallet’s code it seems to be a single page app deployed with browserify.

Apart from bip32, which isn’t in ppc yet, I think it is not that much work to ‘fork’ from this and make it work with bkchain https://bkchain.org/static/api.txt.

Rushwallet is not opensourced, but is it legally ok to just copy their work? I could make a start and put it on github. I need to get some experience working with github anyway…

I’ve decided to do the html myself. It’s kind of natural to me since I’m a web dev among other things. I’ll re-use open source libs that has been used a long time and can be trusted, for the parts that requires it.

I should probably create a project on peer4commit, but I kind of rather do the development thing first, so I personally feel that I’m not over promising something.

If you would consider donating if I created a peer4commit project, post something in this thread if you feel like it and I will probably feel a little more incentive. It’s not really needed though, since I’m not doing it for the money any way.

Pillow, check Sunny’s latest update. Does this have anything to do with what you’re working on?

http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=3316.msg31792#msg31792

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:9, topic:2759”]Pillow, check Sunny’s latest update. Does this have anything to do with what you’re working on?

http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=3316.msg31792#msg31792[/quote]

Though I PM:ed sigmike, I’ve not yet talked to either sigmike or sunny. I’m not sure what they are planning but it sounds good. I’m a little worried though, that I’m doing something redundant.

My plan is to release my wallet, once its complete, as open source. I will also build it so that there will be a monetary incentive for people to create a stable and efficient network, plus improve on the wallet too.

Basically my idea is to create something, that other people will then improve on so much, that what I did will be outdated. I just hope its not outdated before I release it :wink:

[quote=“pillow, post:10, topic:2759”][quote=“Sentinelrv, post:9, topic:2759”]Pillow, check Sunny’s latest update. Does this have anything to do with what you’re working on?

http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=3316.msg31792#msg31792[/quote]

Though I PM:ed sigmike, I’ve not yet talked to either sigmike or sunny. I’m not sure what they are planning but it sounds good. I’m a little worried though, that I’m doing something redundant.

My plan is to release my wallet, once its complete, as open source. I will also build it so that there will be a monetary incentive for people to create a stable and efficient network, plus improve on the wallet too.

Basically my idea is to create something, that other people will then improve on so much, that what I did will be outdated. I just hope its not outdated before I release it ;)[/quote]

Maybe you should email Sunny and tell him your plans and ask if he thinks you should continue on with it. It may be that he’s creating a standard and basic web wallet that should be improved upon by the community. Maybe you’ll be able to take what he makes once finished and improve it even more. I’d just check with him to be sure.

Did anything come out of this idea? HTML5 wallet would be really cool, even if it doesn’t stake.

Qr-code reader and creator (along with key gen/import) is finished. The rest is basically GUI stuff and also server side. pretty simple things but needs to be done none the less. Rigjt now Im focused on other things (creating a whitepaper on distributed digital cash). The launch of the Android wallet made this project less important.

Edit: this is not a peer4commit project and Ive been doing it on my spare time for free without sponsoring/donations.

Qr-code reader and creator (along with key gen/import) is finished. The rest is basically GUI stuff and also server side. pretty simple things but needs to be done none the less. Rigjt now Im focused on other things (creating a whitepaper on distributed digital cash). The launch of the Android wallet made this project less important.

Edit: this is not a peer4commit project and Ive been doing it on my spare time for free without sponsoring/donations.[/quote]
@pillow have you put your code in github repo? Interested to see what u have and how works
:slight_smile:

Fuzzybear

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

I had a look at rush wallet and it occurred to me that if there were something like https://blockchain.info/pushtx to push your tx to it could be done in jiffy

It would be very easy to setup server side too. Let’s call it a Backend Provider (BP) in this post.
My initial idea was to provide the means for the user to add/remove BP’s. The wallet would of course come pre-configured with a BP (one that I’m running). But user could actually point to another BP or even host their own BP. The BP would provide the service for an arbitrary fee, set by the server (an altruistic BP would be serving for 0 ppc).

Whenever the wallet needed to pull information from the blockchain, multiple BP’s could be used, that way the client would be able to trust that the information relayed by a unique server wasn’t fake.

All of this would be very simple to do and the BP would just be the reference client wrapped up in a NodeJS server. Almost no code needed.

There are already QR readers and generatos and Peercoin wallet address generators on the net, so the only thing one has to do is to pull it all together in a HTML5 app. Fairly straightforward process.

The only reason I didn’t proceed with this, was that the Android Peercoin wallet was launched and I there didn’t seem to be any need for it really (along with the concerns I have with launching a product where people will store thousands of peercoins and then be holding me liable of course ;-))

With regards to pushing signed tx, I had a look at bitcore and I think it is not that hard to use it for the peercoin network: (be aware, not tested myself)

var Pool = require('bitcore-p2p').Pool;
var Networks = require('bitcore').Networks;

var ppcnetwork = Networks.add(
{
  name: 'livenetppc',
  alias: 'livenetppc',
  pubkeyhash: 0x37,
  privatekey: 0xB7,
  scripthash: 0x05,
  xpubkey: 0x0488b21e,/*?*/
  xprivkey: 0x0488ade4,/*?*/
  networkMagic: 0xe6e8e9e5,
  port: 9901,
  dnsSeeds: [
		"seed.ppcoin.net",
		"seedppc.ppcoin.net",
		"ppcseed.ns.7server.net",
		"dnsseed.ppc.altcointech.net",
		"seed.diandianbi.org"
  ]
});

var pool = new Pool({network: 'livenetppc',
  dnsSeed: true, 
  relay: false,
  listenAddr: true
});

// connect to the network
pool.connect();

// attach peer events
pool.on('peerready', function(peer, message) {
  // annouce new tx inv...
  pool.sendMessage(invmessageobj);
});
pool.on('peergetdata', function(peer, message) {
  // send new tx message...
   pool.sendMessage(txmessageobj);
});

[quote=“thehuntergames, post:17, topic:2759”]With regards to pushing signed tx, I had a look at bitcore and I think it is not that hard to use it for the peercoin network: (be aware, not tested myself)

[code]
var Pool = require(‘bitcore-p2p’).Pool;
var Networks = require(‘bitcore’).Networks;

var ppcnetwork = Networks.add(
{
name: ‘livenetppc’,
alias: ‘livenetppc’,
pubkeyhash: 0x37,
privatekey: 0xB7,
scripthash: 0x05,
xpubkey: 0x0488b21e,/?/
xprivkey: 0x0488ade4,/?/
networkMagic: 0xe6e8e9e5,
port: 9901,
dnsSeeds: [
seed.ppcoin.net”,
seedppc.ppcoin.net”,
ppcseed.ns.7server.net”,
dnsseed.ppc.altcointech.net”,
seed.diandianbi.org
]
});

var pool = new Pool({network: ‘livenetppc’,
dnsSeed: true,
relay: false,
listenAddr: true
});

// connect to the network
pool.connect();

// attach peer events
pool.on(‘peerready’, function(peer, message) {
// annouce new tx inv…
pool.sendMessage(invmessageobj);
});
pool.on(‘peergetdata’, function(peer, message) {
// send new tx message…
pool.sendMessage(txmessageobj);
});

[/code][/quote]

I created a peer4commit project to support a bicoinjs port to Peercoin a few weeks ago without much success: http://peer4commit.com/projects/157

May be we could create a new one to support a port of bitcore to Peercoin. Is anyone interested?

I see that reddcoin, a posv coin basically, has forked from bitcore: https://github.com/reddcoin-project/reddcore/blob/master/networks.js

is there a way to see the diff between the two branches and learn from this to fork our own ppc version?

once we have a bitcore fork for ppc, we can do something like this: https://github.com/mappum/webcoin

Yes, you read it right it does not even need a centralised webserver, the browser uses WebRTC to make P2P connections rather than relying on a centralized server.