How to: Peerbox Support Thread (Updated to v0.6.1)

Peerchemist, I hope you don’t mind but I merged the how to and support thread for 0.5.

Np, it is good.

Okay, next is to get the .deb and unwind it. This needs to be in the Arch Linux AUR, it’s a perfect fit!

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/peercoind/

Well I’ll be dipped, don’t I look like an idiot now…

I am sorry, but the point of Peerbox is to deliver pre-configured and secure wallet so things you as indeed are delivered on install. I am not sure where are you aiming at with this question.[/quote]

Please disregard my post, I’ve re-attempted again using the newest version and it’s gone smoothly this time. Just currently downloading the blockchain at the moment.

Nice to hear that.

Trying to set this up currently and having an issue. I have followed the steps, at step 4 when I run peerbox -start, a message returns “Starting Peerbox…”, I’ve let this sit for several minutes and it doesn’t finish…upon exiting with Ctrl^C, trace is returned.

jhatter@raspberrypi:[~]:$peerbox -start
Starting Peerbox…
^CTraceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/bin/peerbox”, line 254, in
sh.sudo(“systemctl”, “start”, “ppcoind@{0}.service”.format(getpass.getuser()))
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sh.py”, line 769, in call
return RunningCommand(cmd, call_args, stdin, stdout, stderr)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sh.py”, line 330, in init
self.wait()
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sh.py”, line 334, in wait
self._handle_exit_code(self.process.wait())
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sh.py”, line 1152, in wait
pid, exit_code = os.waitpid(self.pid, 0)
KeyboardInterrupt

Please try to start it manually and report what is going on.

sudo systemctl start ppcoind

WAIT 10s

sudo systemctl status -l ppcoind

Thanks for the quick reply. It doesn’t get far, I get the following:

jhatter@raspberrypi:[~/ppcoin/ppcoin-0.5.4ppc-linux/bin/32]:$sudo systemctl start ppcoind
Failed to start ppcoind.service: Unit ppcoind.service failed to load: No such file or directory.

So along with the packages from this thread, I downloaded the wallet ppcoin-qt from the website as well and it is in the directory you see. I was getting this error prior to installing the wallet but it may be useful to know. Seems like I’m missing a ppcoind.service, or the directory is in the wrong place? Did the package peerbox come with a wallet and is the one I downloaded redundant, sorry I’m new to this. If there is another means of communication to work with you on I’m open to that as well.

[quote=“hatterz, post:50, topic:3827”]Thanks for the quick reply. It doesn’t get far, I get the following:

jhatter@raspberrypi:[~/ppcoin/ppcoin-0.5.4ppc-linux/bin/32]:$sudo systemctl start ppcoind
Failed to start ppcoind.service: Unit ppcoind.service failed to load: No such file or directory.

So along with the packages from this thread, I downloaded the wallet ppcoin-qt from the website as well and it is in the directory you see. I was getting this error prior to installing the wallet but it may be useful to know. Seems like I’m missing a ppcoind.service, or the directory is in the wrong place? Did the package peerbox come with a wallet and is the one I downloaded redundant, sorry I’m new to this. If there is another means of communication to work with you on I’m open to that as well.[/quote]

You did not properly installed Peerbox. You should start over, but to try to fix the damage try the following:

sudo apt-get install ppcoin

What do you mean when you say “wallet”, where did you install if from? One you downloaded is absolutely redundant.
It would be easiest to start over if that does not work, then report if things are still broken.

Do I need to use the default account, I get this error about the pi account when installing:

jhatter@raspberrypi:[~]:$sudo apt-get install ppcoin
[sudo] password for jhatter:
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
ppcoin is already the newest version.
ppcoin set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 14 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Setting up peerbox (0.5.7-2) …

_____               _
    |  __ \             | |
    | |__) |__  ___ _ __| |__   _____  __
    |  ___/ _ \/ _ \ '__| '_ \ / _ \ \/ /
    | |  |  __/  __/ |  | |_) | (_) >  <
    |_|   \___|\___|_|  |_.__/ \___/_/\_\

version: 0.5.7
      url: www.peerbox.me
      forum: https://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?board=68.0
      git: https://github.com/peerchemist/Peerbox

Configuring .ppcoin directory for each user…
chown: invalid user: ‘pi:pi’
dpkg: error processing package peerbox (–configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
peerbox
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I installed the “wallet” from here:

It appears nothing works unless I’m logged in with the pi account.

I’m also running under a different user and was also unable to get “peerbox -start” to work.
I just start ppcoind as follows:

ppcoind -daemon

After the command, wait for half a minute and then try “peerbox -info”

@hatters and @hrobeers

If for some reason it does not work as other user (and this is first time you guys report this) then please continue using systemd as most of extra security comes from it.

sudo systemctl start ppcoind@$USER

Nope, I’ve told you in chat :wink:
But I’m running a modified client anyway, and I thought I was the only one having this issue.

But now it seems me and [member=33050]hatterz[/member] are the only ones running it under the non-default account.
I always run services that listen to ports under accounts without sudo rights.

Next time, I’ll try to start it using

I’m now Minting PPC. If i send now new coins to my Raspberry Pi, do i need to type “peerbox -mint” after 30 days again?

No, just leave it running :slight_smile:

When i type peerbox -info then i get this message:

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/bin/peerbox", line 309, in <module> print(json.dumps(info(), indent=4)) File "/usr/bin/peerbox", line 155, in info and exchangeRates() != None File "/usr/bin/peerbox", line 133, in exchangeRates return get() File "/usr/bin/peerbox", line 121, in get return {"usd": json.loads(urllib.urlopen(api + "ppc-usd").read())["ticker"]["price"], File "/usr/lib/python2.7/json/__init__.py", line 338, in loads return _default_decoder.decode(s) File "/usr/lib/python2.7/json/decoder.py", line 366, in decode obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end()) File "/usr/lib/python2.7/json/decoder.py", line 384, in raw_decode raise ValueError("No JSON object could be decoded") ValueError: No JSON object could be decoded

[member=33057]Intensor[/member]
Were you able to get it running?

Also, were you online when you ran ‘peerbox -info’ ?
It looks like a simple error from from urllib not being able to grab the ppc price data which resulted in no json object being loaded.

Perhaps there can be an error handle added for this so that ‘-info’ can be displayed regardless of whether or not the price data can be fetched.