How to: Peerbox Support Thread (Updated to v0.6.1)

[quote=“peerchemist, post:20, topic:3827”]can you try again?

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install peerbox

if it fails:

sudo apt-get -f install[/quote]that didn’t work when I get home from work I’m going to try a fresh install of raspbian and see if that works I’ll post to let you know if it worked thanks for the help

OK, I booted up Les :o Raspbian on my Pi and it loads and works perfectly. Couldn’t have been more straightforward. Downloaded blockchain and it’s showing 8 connections.

A few questions on it’s use:

1. Do I have to do anything to my router to make it function as a full node, and will I still have to do that if I use tor?

2. Can I transfer the coins from my existing wallet just by copying the wallet.dat from the machine they are currently running on? The reason I want to do that is to preserve the coin age on my holdings.

3. Is there any disadvantage to using the qt interface? If I do that I can just input the private key from my current address and transfer the coins that way.

Thanks in advance.

[quote=“Automatic Monkey, post:22, topic:3827”]OK, I booted up Les :o Raspbian on my Pi and it loads and works perfectly. Couldn’t have been more straightforward. Downloaded blockchain and it’s showing 8 connections.

1. Do I have to do anything to my router to make it function as a full node, and will I still have to do that if I use tor?

2. Can I transfer the coins from my existing wallet just by copying the wallet.dat from the machine they are currently running on? The reason I want to do that is to preserve the coin age on my holdings.

3. Is there any disadvantage to using the qt interface? If I do that I can just input the private key from my current address and transfer the coins that way.

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Glad it worked well for you :slight_smile:

1. If you did not get more than 8 connections automatically, that means that you should open port 9901 at your router. The procedure is the same for Tor end regular mode.

2. Yes, you can just transfer wallet.dat to your Peerbox.

3. There are no disadvantages of using QT wallet. There are just the same and equally secure, however QT wallet is not yet well integrated in Peerbox. That means some of peerbox -* commands will not work.

[quote=“peerchemist, post:23, topic:3827”][quote=“Automatic Monkey, post:22, topic:3827”]OK, I booted up Les :o Raspbian on my Pi and it loads and works perfectly. Couldn’t have been more straightforward. Downloaded blockchain and it’s showing 8 connections.

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Glad it worked well for you :slight_smile:

1. If you did not get more than 8 connections automatically, that means that you should open port 9901 at your router. The procedure is the same for Tor end regular mode.

2. Yes, you can just transfer wallet.dat to your Peerbox.

3. There are no disadvantages of using QT wallet. There are just the same and equally secure, however QT wallet is not yet well integrated in Peerbox. That means some of peerbox -* commands will not work.[/quote]

OK! That’s fine by me, I’m more familiar with the QT console commands anyway and would rather use those. Tonight will be the big night, when I transfer all my staking coins from my vault desktop to the Pi.

By the way there is still some of the Bitcoin verbiage left behind in the QT wallet, requests to enter your Bitcoin address.

By the way there is still some of the Bitcoin verbiage left behind in the QT wallet, requests to enter your Bitcoin address.

Yes, you are right. Sunny has never completed de-branding the wallet. :slight_smile:

Up and running on the daemon. Full node on tor, looks great!

It’s showing me not 16 but 32-37 connections, is that normal?

[quote=“Automatic Monkey, post:26, topic:3827”]Up and running on the daemon. Full node on tor, looks great!

It’s showing me not 16 but 32-37 connections, is that normal?[/quote]

Full node is when you have more than 8 connections. So 30ish look average for full node.

[quote=“Automatic Monkey, post:26, topic:3827”]Up and running on the daemon. Full node on tor, looks great!

It’s showing me not 16 but 32-37 connections, is that normal?[/quote]

How did you manage to open the port? Can you share some useful links?

OK it seems like my Peerbox might be in trouble. Stuck at block 234794.

Kind of weird, it still shows the diff at around 400M, almost like it is looking back in time.

[quote=“Automatic Monkey, post:29, topic:3827”]OK it seems like my Peerbox might be in trouble. Stuck at block 234794.

Kind of weird, it still shows the diff at around 400M, almost like it is looking back in time.[/quote]

I guess you should update.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

then reboot

Hello,

I am new to peercoin and peerbox, I just installed it and works like a charm, I am just wondering what is the command for setting up my passward and for dumping my private key!?

Thanks!!

[quote=“hcf27, post:31, topic:3827”]Hello,

I am new to peercoin and peerbox, I just installed it and works like a charm, I am just wondering what is the command for setting up my passward and for dumping my private key!?

Thanks!![/quote]

to dump private keys
dumpprivkey

to encrypt your wallet
encryptwallet

to dump private keys your wallet needs to be unlocked (when encrypted)
walletpassphrase

I would suggest advising in the installation guide that Peercoin/PeerUnity is needed in the initial paragraph, along with perhaps a link to an installation guide for either of them. I say this as I initially assumed Peerbox contained one of the latest versions of Peercoin in the build.

I am sorry, but the point of Peerbox is to deliver pre-configured and secure wallet so things you as indeed are delivered on install. I am not sure where are you aiming at with this question.

ssh pi@peerbox.local doesn’t work anymore:

ssh: Could not resolve hostname peerbox.local: nodename nor servname provided, or not known

using the ip address instead still works but the above is easier to use. How can I fix it?

[quote=“thehuntergames, post:35, topic:3827”]ssh pi@peerbox.local doesn’t work anymore:

ssh: Could not resolve hostname peerbox.local: nodename nor servname provided, or not known

using the ip address instead still works but the above is easier to use. How can I fix it?[/quote]

try peerbox.home (depends on the router and avahi)

After installing peerbox and getting some PPC sent to my wallet, how do I start minting? I ran peerbox -mint and entered the password I set when I encrypted my wallet, but I am not sure how to tell if I am minting.

You can start minting after 30 days. There is no notification or anything that would inform you that you are minting indeed.

Hello,

how can I change my rpc password and where?

Thank you.

[quote=“bitcoin-bz.it, post:39, topic:3827”]Hello,

how can I change my rpc password and where?

Thank you.[/quote]

1. stop Peerbox
  2. edit file /home/pi/.ppcoin/ppcoin.conf
  3. start Peerbox again

p.s.

Why do you need to change it? (just curious)