How to: Peerbox Support Thread (Updated to v0.6.1)

Aha, yes I should have known about that - thanks for the gentle reminder. I’ll try setting that up.
Many thanks.

Not successful in running a -tor node. Peerbox seems to start off properly showing an obfuscated IP address, though never gets more than 8 connections. The -onion command always returns the same cryptic hash. After a while Peerbox switches back to my own IP address with more than 8 connections. Thus my IP is no longer obfuscated, though the -onion command still shows the same hash. I reinstalled Peerbox to see if that would help, to no avail.

did you stop peerbox prior to starting it with -tor?

Yes I did stop peerbox before starting with -tor.
But now get this, with peerbox running continuously for 6 days, -tor magically kicks in with a new obfuscated IP address and 20 connections. Seems to me that peerbox -tor is now working as it should, my IP address is no longer in view.
You know I very reluctantly submit queries to the support thread and now just 8 hrs after doing so, the problem self-corrects. I dunno, makes me a bit crazy.
Thanks for your attention. Cheers!

Ack, peerbox -tor has flipped back to my regular IP address. Must be losing the -tor connection. Still > 8 connections.

Only sometimes will Tor allow more than 8 connections. To this day I never learned what is preventing it to connect with more. On several occasions I did succeed to get more than 8 using tor.

“Still > 8 connections”, by that I meant I was stilling getting more than 8 connections- sorry for my lack of clarity. Was also getting moar than 8 connects while -tor was running, before peerbox flipped back to my regular IP address.

Updated to Rasbian Scratch and peerbox stopped working. Has this been tested on latest version or should I go back to jessie?

I did not update it to work with new release of Debian, it’s tailored to Jessie.

I no longer have time to support and improve this project, if someone wants to take over message me.

New to Peercoin

No worries, thanks mate. Jessie is still reliable and the peerbox should really be exclusively set up for the node. Will restore back to my backup image.

how to update my node to the latest v0.6?

I will update the repository in next few days.

v0.6.1 is package is now in the repository.

To upgrade:

`sudo apt update```

sudo apt remove ppcoin

Now follow same upgrade instructions as desktop Peercoin release: https://medium.com/@PeercoinPulse/peercoin-v0-6-release-2831fb4394ad

(cleaning the old blockchain data)

reinstall:

sudo apt install peerbox

Fresh install is easy, business as usual.

I will repair bugs if there are some, but please note that this is last Peerbox update. I urge someone to take over the development, I simply no longer have spare time to do maintenance and introduce new features.

Не могу установить кошелек v0.6

Curious if there’s any project updates. I’m back and considering running a PPC node again 24/7

Hi!
I’m trying to install peerbox on a raspberry pi 3, but I’m getting the following errors:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 peerbox : Depends: ppcoin but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I tried installing ppcoin and get the following:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
ppcoin : Depends: libboost-filesystem1.55.0 but it is not installable
Depends: libboost-program-options1.55.0 but it is not installable
Depends: libboost-system1.55.0 but it is not installable
Depends: libboost-thread1.55.0 but it is not installable
Depends: libssl1.0.0 (>= 1.0.1) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I then tried installing the various boost libraries, but they are newer versions. Would that work? I’m running a headless (ssh only) raspberry pi 3.

Uname -a reports:

Linux raspberrypi 4.9.67-v7+ #1061 SMP Tue Dec 5 17:17:24 GMT 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

Can the lite version of raspbian work? No idea what else I can do as I’ve got those boost-dev libraries installed… Thanks!

i think it is because you are running latest version of rasbian, stretch? peerbox is for jessie
https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2017-07-05/

Yes! That’s right. Do you think there will be a build for stretch?

not unless someone develops it

Hey,
I guess i’m having the same problem than Intensor in question comment #125.
I type > peerbox -start ::

Starting Peerbox…

After a few seconds the prompt shows up again.
Commands like -rates or -version work.

But now peerbox -info:
results either in

Peercoin deamon is still unresponsive, wait for few more seconds please.
or
Peerbox is not running. Please start Peerbox with “peerbox -start”

and after peerbox -info:
Commands -rates or -version stopped working with the line:

Peerbox is not running. Please start Peerbox with “peerbox -start”

I tried reinstalling, which doesn’t change anything.
Starting only works for user pi.

sudo systemctl start ppcoind

gives:

Failed to start ppcoind.service: Unit ppcoind.service failed to load: No such file or directory.

Getting this error i tried reinstalling peerbox, several times.

RaspberryPI 3 b
2017-07-05-raspbian-jessie

Not sure what else to try.

can you look in the ~/.ppcoin directory, does debug.log give a clue?