How to: Peerbox Support Thread (Updated to v0.6.1)

i just installed on fresh jessie image and it seems to work fine

wget -O - http://peerbox.me/repo/peerbox.gpg.key | sudo apt-key add -
sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://peerbox.me/repo jessie main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/peerbox.list"
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install peerbox
peerbox -start

for the coin day / probability you could use the GUI client starting it with
sudo systemctl start ppcoin-qt@pi.service
and look at the minting tab

no problems on this side
can you check the steps you did to install and start peerbox?

They’re precisely the ones stated in the OP, the only thing i did more is to put my wallet.dat and started it

OK for the GUI tab to watch, hoped there was something callable from the terminal, as my RaspberryPI is an headless device with just a network cable connected on :slight_smile:

idk why peerbox -info doesnt work but ppcoind getinfo does, maybe you started ppcoind instead of peerbox? when you start peerbox with peerbox -start it should work, dont know why it is failing for you, ill keep it running for a while to see if it starts bugging

Nope, I’ve killed everything from the processes and started peerbox -start as for documentation, nothing else. But it goes on these random “unresponsive” status where idk what to do, if it’s actually working…

are you running it on a raspberry zero?

Nope, a Raspberry Pi Model B

i think there is an issue with peerbox -info where it tries to reach mintr.org which is offline
ppcoind getinfo still works and minting still works, there probably needs to be made an update for the mintr.org thing

Hey guys,

I’m really sorry for not joining the conversation. For some reason the peertalk mails have all been redirected to the spam folder.

I already implemented a bugfix for the peerbox -info issue and checked it into the github repo, but the fix hasn’t been released right now. I guess it will be deployed with the new strech-ready version of peerbox. I had already started testing the new peercoin version on my pi and it seems to be running quite well. But unfortunately it seems that I have to make some changes in the peerbox script. I hope I have the chance to take care about this topic within the next few weeks.

1 Like

Replacement for Peerbox project will be pushed very soon.

means it doesn’t make sense putting any further effort into it?

Perhaps it does, wait and see.

Peerbox is now obsoleted by StakeBox.

https://talk.peercoin.net/t/update-14-the-peercoin-team-partners-with-stakebox-a-pi-supply-brand-to-deliver-a-secure-stakebox-for-minting-peercoins-pre-order-today/7807/2

Please use this thread to write list of features you’d like to see with StakeBox and we’ll slowly start implementing it.

Will updates for the Peerbox software continue to come out for a bit?

No, sorry I have no time to do the upkeep any further.

Hi @peerchemist @Sentinelrv,

replacing peerbox with stakebox is ok and some would call it evolution or next step in the growth process of the network. So far so good.

But what about the existing community of peerbox users? What shall they do now in your opinion? Hopefully your answer is not buying the same hardware as most of the community already owns, just to get a secure OS with a script which downloads and installs peercoin. I hope the secure OS will also be available to those not buying a new Pi and already participating the network?

files.peercoin.net, just help yourself with it

Why not mention where to download the rpi image so that peerbox users can flash the stakebox image themselves?

2 Likes

This is what exactly what I meant. Just put a sentence below the post or somewhere in the announcement saying that existing peerbox users can download and install the os image at link XYZ and everything’s fine.

But the way it was done sounded a bit like “if you further want to be part of it you have to buy that box”.

But why would you think otherwise? :slight_smile:

I’ll write a guide on docs.peercoin.net when I get some time.