How Do I Mine Peercoin? I generate little to no coins.. :(

I ran my GPU to mine Peercoin overnight at 200mh/s, came back in the morning and I got 0.001. Huh? How are people even mining this coin?

I really like the idea of Peercoin and I think it’s going somewhere, I want to contribute to the economy of PPC however I can’t seem to mine anything (very little).

I spoke to a friend who said I should stick to scrypt mining and not SHA256 because my machine can’t handle it. So, what machine would be able to handle sha256 mining? I tried Google but can’t find anything. Any help appreciated.

Your friend is right. GPU mining doesn´t make sense these days. FPGAs are by far more effective. ASICs are by far more effective then FPGAs.

200MH/s is nothing for a ASIC. There are USB-Miners out there doing 2700 MH/s while consuming about 2.5 watt.

The following rig is doing 8.300.000MH/s. Those rigs are where the coins go to :wink:

You should buy peercoins instead of mining ;D

Mining is becoming more of commercial venture now. The same thing will start to happen with Scrypt too if it gets more popular. The problem is that Scrypt is less energy efficient hash per hash than SHA-256, so I would think them to be less viable long-term.

Well, besides buying different crypto-currencies, what would be the cheapest yet most effective way to get started? I want to get into mining, not just play it like a stock market.

Hmm, ok, so to mine SHA256 you basically need a LOT of money to start with. So these SHA currencies go into the hand of the rich to make them even richer? Doesn’t sound like a fair world currency to me.

The thing I am liking about scrypt is that anyone can mine them. I have been mining a few scrypt altcoins and i’m doing ok on my home computer. As for the question will they last… who knows, but the more people mining and using the coin, the better. Value is determined by demand and if they are easy to mine, then people will be using them which is good.

Right now it just seems big businesses are mining Bitcoin and Peercoin. So what is the point in them having all the ‘new world currency’. It seems awfully unfair. Is the real reason bitcoin and peercoin is going up in value is because people are using fiat currency to buy coins off big businesses? If that’s the case then it’s a bubble, it wont last.

yeah i’m lost

[quote=“Chris180Z, post:5, topic:1028”]Hmm, ok, so to mine SHA256 you basically need a LOT of money to start with. So these SHA currencies go into the hand of the rich to make them even richer? Doesn’t sound like a fair world currency to me.

The thing I am liking about scrypt is that anyone can mine them. I have been mining a few scrypt altcoins and i’m doing ok on my home computer. As for the question will they last… who knows, but the more people mining and using the coin, the better. Value is determined by demand and if they are easy to mine, then people will be using them which is good.

Right now it just seems big businesses are mining Bitcoin and Peercoin. So what is the point in them having all the ‘new world currency’. It seems awfully unfair. Is the real reason bitcoin and peercoin is going up in value is because people are using fiat currency to buy coins off big businesses? If that’s the case then it’s a bubble, it wont last.[/quote]
Just don’t get it… why do people think that they have to spend LOTS of money for mining SHA256… Is it just that they are looking at the advertising on the 2nd generation ASIC’s and not looking for the lower price end markets… dreaming of ordering a KNC neptune for $16,000 for example?? why… there are people selling 5GH miners at $150 that will earn you 0.5 PPC per day.

You can even buy sha256 ASIC’s for $20-$30 and that will get you 333Mh and use 1.2Watts of power… compared to you GPU that will eat 300Watts for the equivalent hashrate.

So SHA256 coins you are paying LESS to your electricity man for the privilege of turning electricity into digital coins… agreed most gamers have GPU’s already hence the attraction for mining.

so actually … do you need more money to start mining scrypt or SHA 256???
SHA256 has lower start up costs and running costs as the technology has just advanced faster on the SHA256 coins compared to the scrypt coins.

Fuzzybear

edit: just saw you “Value is determined by demand and if they are easy to mine, then people will be using them”

Value IS determined by demand… however if there is no demand for them as no one wants them then they are worth nothing … and the easier they are to mine… the more people will mine and dump them to make a profit as its just common sense… I would STRONGLY suggest you read up a LOT more on what drives the price for the currencies and the profitability of mining and how it has evolved in the bitcoin community as that is a good case example. Please do this before wasting any more electricity mining altcoins / clonecoins or investing any money in mining equipment.

A newbie perspective.

i like a million others am kicking myself for not getting into bitcoin when i heard about it a couple of years ago. truth be told even if i had a time machine and flung myself back to 2009 i still wouldn’t be able to figure out the ins and out of mining and equipment. There is a steep learning curve if you’re a total newbie. and even if you’re not there is a distinct lack of coherent information.

Math isn’t my strong suit, neither is finance nor programming. a perfect trifecta of disaster infact and it seems that you need all three to figure out what to do and how to do it. It’s not that i’m an idiot. there are different ways of learning and i tend ( like others) to be best able to learn via example.

r00tsicals videos on what a wallet was, how to set it up, how to buy bitcoins on exchanges and convert them was dead simple. they weren’t professionally done but they totally served the purpose of how to get up and running. that was all i was looking for. i’ve noticed people commenting on his video thread and in the you tube comments how you you do xyz and he doesn’t know or is unsure. it would be great if someone could pick up from where he left off and did a easy how to set of videos on mining.

Dito thread on how to mine on digital ocean was fairly straight forward as well. For me that is. i’m used to ftpsing into sites and working a little bit with cloud servers. so i could pretty much figure out what he was trying to say even though i hadn’t used digital ocean before or putty. But me it was relatively simple. I did notice some other people having problems. and i thought a video might help ( i may make one to pay it forward)

Kudos to r00tsicals & Dito for removing a lot of the mystery and getting straight to the how to.

So fuzzybear when you say “why… there are people selling 5GH miners at $150 that will earn you 0.5 PPC per day.” the first thing i think is how? what do i buy? where do i get it from? will it be economically viable? how i use it with my pc? how do i set it up to mine? what are the step by step instructions or idiot guide to get it up and running.

there’s a lot of information to wrap ones head around. and i get in certain quarters that people might not to share how to do things, or some people may think, it took me ages to find out how to do this and i’m not giving it away. but if you want people to adopt this then sharing the information in an easy to understand way is the only way its’ going to happen. i tend to lurk more and read up as much as i can before i start asking questions, because i realise it may well be the first time i ask this, but it might be the umpteth time everyone else has seen it and thats why no one else has responded.

I appreciate you are doing this off your own back and i certainly dont mean to sound ungrateful. I more then anyone appreciate how much time and effort it takes in getting a common team together to organize and do manage things. Currently my focus is on a website i’ve built ( i’m a infrastructure project manager by career ,but have spent the last year learning wordpress in and out it’s still in beta but i’ve gathered a team together to help common cause.) i keep looking at peercoin website and thinking why dont you have a faq, why doesn’t the social media team add this in and that in to automate everything to make it easier and then i realise… it’s easy when you know how.

TLDR: it’s easy when you know how.