Help translate Peerunity! No coding skills needed!

Hey everyone. I know many of you want to help the Peerunity project but don’t have any coding or design skills. Here’s your opportunity! We need help in translating the client for other languages.

We’re now going to try using www.getlocalization.com to provide an easy platform for ANYONE to help. Do you know how to use a text editor? Then you can use the website!

Here is the link for the Peerunity project http://www.getlocalization.com/Peerunity

From the website you can see a list of all the strings that need to be updated. You can submit a translation for the text, or you can just vote on other translations.

We only have a few languages loaded at the moment. I will be adding more in the next few days, and if you have any requests or need help with the website please let me know.

Help us break the language barrier and unite everyone with Peerunity! (I couldn’t help myself :)))

EDIT:

Here’s a link on how to use the editor, and a quick screen shot of what it looks like. http://www.getlocalization.com/library/translation/editor/features/

1. Search & Filters Bar

Get Localization provides several powerful search tools and filters. You have the following choices:

[ul][li]File – If the project contains several files, you can choose to view all of them or a specific one.[/li]

[li]Translating to – You can change which target language you are viewing. This can come in handy if you e.g. have a problematic translation and want to look for tips in other languages.[/li]

[li]Filter – You can choose which strings are displayed in the List of Strings (2) and in which order they are displayed. You have the following choices:

[list][li]Sorted by Quality – All strings are displayed based on their quality score. The strings with the lowest score, i.e. untranslated strings, come first.[/li]

[li]All Strings – All strings are displayed in original order.[/li]

[li]Untranslated Strings – Only untranslated strings are displayed and the the translated ones are hidden.[/li]

[li]Translated Strings – Only translated strings are displayed and the the untranslated ones are hidden.[/li]

[li]Sort by modified - latest first – The newest translations and edits are displayed first.
TIP: This can be a useful filter when proofreading.[/li]

[li]Sort by modified - oldest first – The oldest translations and edits are displayed first[/li][/list]

[/li]

[li]Search – This contains several different search possibilities:

[list][li]Project Strings – Search for words or sentences in the master language strings. If you e.g. enter ‘Open’ in the text box and click Search, all strings containing ‘Open’ will be displayed in the List of Strings (2).[/li]

[li]Translation – Search for words or sentences in the target language strings. If you e.g. enter ‘Öffnen’ in the text box and click Search, all strings containing ‘Öffnen’ will be displayed in the List of Strings (2).[/li]

[li]Translation (Search & Replace) – Search and replace words in the target language strings.
NOTE: For the user roles Translator, Moderator and Developer only this applies to your own translations. Only Administrators can apply Search and replace to other users’ translations.[/li]

[li]Bing Translate – You can use this alternative to get a translation suggestion from Bing Translator. Enter a word or sentence in the master language into the search box and a translation suggestion in the target language will be displayed in Other translations (4).[/li]

[li]Glossary – If the project has a glossary (Premium feature), this will perform a search among the glossary terms.[/li]

[li]Translation Memory – Search for translations in the translation memory database by entering a master language word or sentence in the search box. The matches will be displayed in Other translations (4) and they might come from other projects than the current one.
TIP: In many CAT tools a similar search is known as concordance search.[/li]

[li]Translator – You can display all strings by a certain translator by entering their user ID in the search box. The strings will be displayed in the List of Strings (2).[/li][/list]

[/li][/ul]

2. List of Strings

Displays project strings based on the current filters. Click an item to select it.

3. Master string

This is the source language string for translation.

TIP: Copy master string to editor by pressing Ctrl + . (list of other shortcuts).

4. Other Translations

This section displays previous translations and other suggestions for the current string.

[ul][li]Translations by other users – The translator’s avatar and user ID are displayed the Source column. Rank shows the order of translation alternatives based on their quality points. The highest ranked string is the one that will be used as translation. If you agree with the translation of one of the previously translated strings, you can vote for it. If you think it has errors or would simply need a touch-up, copy the translation to the editor and edit. This will not erase the other user’s translation, simply add a new alternative. If you are an administrator for this project, you can remove other people’s translations.[/li]

[li]Translation memory – This is a suggestion from the database of previous translations. The suggestion can be the translation of an identival string or of a string that is only slightly different from the current master string. You can copy the suggestion to the editor field and accept it or edit.[/li]

[li]Related string – These are suggestions that have some similarities with the current string. They are usually not identical strings, but might e.g. contain common terms. You can copy the suggestion to the editor field and edit it.[/li]

[li]Glossary – If the project contains a glossary and the current string contains a term that can be found in the glossary, this term will be displayed together with its translation.[/li]

[li]Bing Translate – If you have used the Bing Translate option in Search (see above), the Bing suggestion will be displayed here.[/li][/ul]

Please use buttons to perform the following actions:

Vote Vote on translation

Copy translation Copy translation to editor

Delete translation Delete translation completely (only project administrators)

Report user Report user to Get Localization support. NOTE: please report e.g. following issues: wrong language (Italian when it should be German) or abusive language. If the translation contains an error, please correct it instead of reporting.

5. Target String

Enter your translation here - it is as simple as that. You will automatically get notified if there are formatting errors, Get Localization automatically checks for example that tags used in code are also used correctly in the translated string.

TIP: Press Ctrl + Enter to save and jump to next string (list of other shortcuts).

6. Context Information

You can use this field to provide context information for the translators in their files. This information can be provided by the developer in the master files (e.g. as comments in iOS or with the tag in XLIFF) or entered by a project administrator in the editor. NOTE: Context field changes in the editor are not copied back to the master files.

If you click Manage Screenshots above the Context field, you can upload screenshots of your application to help the translators get a better understanding of the context. We highly recommend using screenshots to help the translators.

7. Commenting

Commenting is a powerful way to communicate with project members. The project team will automatically get an e-mail when a comment is added, and can react if there is a problem or uncertainty for example about string context. If the comment only relates to the specific languge that you are translating to, only send it to the translators of that language, otherwise send it to everybody.

Posted on Facebook and Twitter.

Is Transifex not to be used? getlocalization.com seems to be a paid service. Is the community footing the bill? What about the continuous integration server mentioned here? Is the qt-locale mechanism (the *.ts files, qt-linguist tool etc. ) becoming something in the background that translators shouldn’ t be borthered with any more? How are translator tipped?

What concerns me is a long term issue – when the source code changes even just a letter in a string, the entire translation become “untranslated” both in the qt-linguist tool and on getlocalization.com. It would be good if the translation tool could keep the previous version of translation as a reference, otherwise the translation will get out of sync and new translators will come up with a new translation that could be quite different from the previous one, even there is actually only a minor change, and as a result confuses users.

btw: ppcoin is still used in this part It is recommended you use the following random password: rpcuser=ppcoinrpc"

As i stated on a post… we’d need a “translation department” thread where these translation requests are to be posted so te let potential “tranlators” pick the jobs to be done and organized…

Count me in for Peerunity
Italia translation

i add the Greek language and starting some translation. i may say, very nice way to translate an app, very user friendly indeed!

Is Transifex not to be used? getlocalization.com seems to be a paid service. Is the community footing the bill?

The website is free for open source projects. Nobody is paying to use this service.

What about the continuous integration server mentioned here?

We’ve looked into it, and have done some testing. We’re not ready to include translations into a CI process. The site does offer automation tools that I believe we will implement at some point.

Is the qt-locale mechanism (the *.ts files, qt-linguist tool etc. ) becoming something in the background that translators shouldn' t be borthered with any more?

Yes, using this site people will not have to bother with the *.ts files themselves or the tools. If you want to help update all you need to do is review the strings on the site and provide translations or vote for existing translations. ts files are still used, but they are now generated by the website. All we have to do is replace them in the source code. This process can be automated.

How are translator tipped?

There’s no mechanism for tipping. I’m guessing you’re referring to Peer4Commit? That’s currently not supported using this platform, and i’m not sure what it would take to integrate it.

What concerns me is a long term issue -- when the source code changes even just a letter in a string, the entire translation become "untranslated" both in the qt-linguist tool and on getlocalization.com. It would be good if the translation tool could keep the previous version of translation as a reference, otherwise the translation will get out of sync and new translators will come up with a new translation that could be quite different from the previous one, even there is actually only a minor change, and as a result confuses users.

I’m not sure I follow your concern. If the strings in the client change we will have to update the *.ts files, and the translations will have to be updated as necessary to reflect the string changes. that is a concern with the previous process and the one provided in this thread. The solution in either case is to update the *.ts files regularly when strings in the client are changed, and to review the related translations as needed. The website does in fact keep a memory of previous versions of a translation, and it provides them to you as you’re translating. For instance, here’s a screen shot from the Chinese translations.

It shows the top translation that will be used at the time of the integration, similar translation strings, and a translation memory of previous translations for that string. The best fit will be applied until a better translation is provided. You’ll notice that all the existing translations have been loaded onto the site. They can be improved upon, or new ones can be added. For those who are code savvy enough using the current method they can always review previous translations through commits in git source control, which would still be available going forward.

If I misunderstood your concern please do set me straight as I can be a bit dense. From what I understood though the concerns are the same with either process, and issues can be mitigated somewhat through automation. Here are some very worthwhile advantages to this process.

• Anyone can help with the translations. Right now you need to be familiar with (at the very least) git to create your own repo and submit pull requests with translations. This website allows many more people to help the project without the need for them to know any technical skills other than being bi-lingual.

• Greater consensus on translations and review. Translations can be voted on, and inappropriate translations can be flagged. Using a less technical platform which allows more people to review/submit translations means we will have more eyes to refine the translations. The people with rights to merge changes into the Peerunity are diverse, but not enough to know every language that we intend to support. Opening up the translation and review process to as many people as possible is important to deliver a polished product for every language.

• It’s a lot easier. For people to translate they don’t need to download any files. They don’t need to comb through a massive file of text that is written for a program to understand rather than a human. They don’t even have to submit a translation, reviewing them can be done without an account. There’s no need to submit pull requests. The website has done a great job of creating an interface that makes it very easy to add or review changes right on the website. The translation process is streamlined so people only have to focus on one thing - translating.

• It’s free - I know I mentioned it up above, but seriously, I love free stuff and it should always be included in a list of advantages.

btw: ppcoin is still used in this part

Changes to the client strings can still be submitted as a pull request. I have to comb through the source again because i’m sure that’s not the only one I missed :slight_smile:

Try to create account several times but failed ???

What is the error, @Redlee? We’ll pass a message on to their support staff for you.

Noooooooooooooooo. They have good support. If you can share an error message or a screen shot with us maybe we can help. Try turning off any script/popup blockers as well maybe?

CoinGame thanks. Web based translation tools certainly offer a lot of advantages which are very much appreciated.

Thanks. I think I see some of the strings that were already translated in the released version of Peerunity but is untranslated on getglobalization. When the next version comes out I will see if “translation memory” is smart enough.

Also when Peercoin wallet catches up with 0.8 bitcoin wallet (now it is 0.6) there will be alot of new strings brought over from bitcoin wallet. I think it should be recommended to reuse bitcoin translation as much as possible, not only to avoid extra work, but to keep the same look and feel across satoshi wallets customized for different coins.

Changes to the client strings can still be submitted as a pull request.

I just submitted one to keep them tracked.

Can someone please vote for my translation of “Detach databases at shutdown” in the Norwegian Bokmål translation? For some reason it is currently in French ;D

I just wanted to quickly thank everyone who have contributed translations to the project thus far. They’ve added to our Greek, Chinese, Norwegian, Arabic and French translations. Here’s some statistics of the contributions. You can see these if you login to the project website.

sandakersmann 135 translations
thewongandonly 85 translations
seki 48 translations
mh001 19 translations
mably 8 translations
combo 3 translations

Two languages have reached validation status, which means the translations are complete but need to be verified through voted consensus. Anyone can vote by creating an account on the site. Those languages are Norwegian and Chinese.

How do I delete a translation item submitted by myself?

Only project admins can delete translations. Which one would you like deleted?

Can you delete the “Norwegian” translation as well? I added that one before “Norwegian Bokmål” was ported. Here is the one I want to delete: http://www.getlocalization.com/Peerunity/editor/20478/

Delete the entire Norwegian translation? Is Norwegian Bokmål a different dialect? The translator files can support different dialects, like Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese.

Yes. Please delete the the Norwegian translation. The Norwegian translation was added by me before Ben portet the GitHub file with Norwegian Bokmål. My only option was to choose Norwegian, but I jumped over on Norwegian Bokmål when Ben portet it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokmål

Oh, I see. It’s the official written language. I will delete the Norwegian listing then. Thanks.

Well so far it’s not worth it to ask the admin. Before I understood how translation memory worked I put in a translation, just to find that there was already an identical one. It’s better to delete the new item if it is trivial to do so.

Anyway it’s good to have the question answered.