Getting started with Wallet

So I have started mining and I have been lucky enough to dig a few coins. My question now is regarding the wallet, so I have the coins sitting in my wallet and would like to keep them safe outside the wallet, how do I do that?

Is it safe to keep it in the wallet?

If I need to upgrade the miner how do I backup my coins?

I know it is a really noob question but I don’t find any guides regarding wallets.

Any help deeply appreciated.

I am surprised nobody answered this yet!

If you have the Primecoin client on your computer, you can protect it with a passphrase.
You can backup your wallet.dat to an USB-stick or cloud service (be sure to rename & zip/rar & password protect it)

Actually, the way in which you protect your Primecoin wallet is the same as for Bitcoins.

Is it safe to keep it in the wallet?

If I need to upgrade the miner how do I backup my coins?

Under Windows, this goes automatically as your coins are stored in a User-specific folder (just Google it), under linux it is in your ~/.primecoin folder.

Good luck with Primecoins!

Thanks mate, appreciated :wink:

I saw this thread “getting started with primecoin” and I hoped I would find a link to download the wallet :slight_smile: sorry I guess I’m more of a newb than you guys.

Where can I find it?

Also It seems I can’t start my own thread to ask this question… is that also because i’m new? how long before I can start my own thread?

thanks

[quote=“viscera, post:4, topic:271”]I saw this thread “getting started with primecoin” and I hoped I would find a link to download the wallet :slight_smile: sorry I guess I’m more of a newb than you guys.

Where can I find it?

Also It seems I can’t start my own thread to ask this question… is that also because i’m new? how long before I can start my own thread?

thanks[/quote]

Hi viscera,

You can find the official wallet download here http://ppcoin.org/primecoin

Just click the “money bag” symbol in the middle of the page :slight_smile:

Now that you have two posts, you should be able to create your own threads. Give it a try and let me know if you are still having trouble!

-Cras

My apologies in advance if this is too much of a noob question but I’m a bit confused.
I have the wallet and seem to be running primeminer but when I use getmininginfo in the console of the wallet I get this:

{
“blocks” : 203485,
“currentblocksize” : 0,
“currentblocktx” : 0,
“errors” : “”,
“generate” : false,
“genproclimit” : -1,
“primespersec” : 0,
“chainsperday” : 0.00000000,
“pooledtx” : 2,
“testnet” : false
}

Now from what I have read with my primespersec being 0 then I,m not mining. Is this correct?

However I do have primeminer running and under the stats at beeeeer I get this:

{
“address”: “AbjKTteegrqgGx3FR4tdF9V3WYdjxTAJGq”,
“payout_current”: 0.0006361284744668125,
“payout_pps”: 0.001018449245960552,
“shares”: 425,
“blocks”: 120,
“shares_per_block”: 3.5416666666666665,
“details”: {
“6”: 0.8823529411764706,
“7”: 0.10352941176470588,
“8”: 0.01411764705882353,
“9”: 0
}
}
{
“6”: 1
}
{}

And the shares and block numbers are increasing over time. Now am I mining or not?

The plot thickens

I found setgenerate true -1 which got the primespersec off 0.

Now if I stop primeminer from running but leave primecoin wallet running my primespersec goes up.

Which should I be running? either,both,none?

I guess I have something setup wrong.

[quote=“nzgrant, post:7, topic:271”]The plot thickens

I found setgenerate true -1 which got the primespersec off 0.

Now if I stop primeminer from running but leave primecoin wallet running my primespersec goes up.

Which should I be running? either,both,none?

I guess I have something setup wrong.[/quote]
If you want to solo mine use the Primecoin client (using the “setgenerate true” command). If you mine solo you will only get XPM is you find a block, currently worth about 10 XPM.
If you want to mine in a pool, use primeminer or jhprimeminer or whatever other software fits the pool. Pooled mining awards you for finding chains even if they are below the current difficulty, so you don’t need to find an entire block to get some XPM.
Only use one piece of primecoin-mining-software at a time, as the miner needs as much CPU power as possible. If you are running primeminer do not start mining with primecoin-qt or vice versa.

Hello… I am showing that I’m mining like 2000 primespersec and 16 chainspermin… but there are no deposits… Am I doing something wrong?

Hi…can anyone tell me how long it might take to find a block with this stats?

thank you :slight_smile:

{
“blocks” : 258705,
“chainspermin” : 7,
“chainsperday” : 0.40343851,
“currentblocksize” : 1588,
“currentblocktx” : 2,
“difficulty” : 9.97662932,
“generate” : true,
“genproclimit” : 2,
“primespersec” : 914,
“pooledtx” : 5,
“sieveextensions” : 9,
“sievepercentage” : 7,
“sievesize” : 1000000,
}

Have a look at the chainsperday value. It showes, how many 9 chains a day you probably (at least it should show this) find.

At difficulty 9.976 there are 97,6% of all 9 shares worthless. 2,4 % are blocks.

0,40 nine-chains a day * 0,024 = 0,0096 Blocks a day

You will find a block every 104-105 days. But there is a big variance it might be today or in ten years (it will be never then, since the difficulty will be much higher or the coin will be dead then)

I suggest pool mining until you have much more computing power;)

How much computing power is enough in your opinion? I have the latest i7-4770K. Do you think this is sufficient for solo mining?

Here is some more of minig info:

{
“blocks” : 260529,
“currentblocksize” : 8700,
“primespersec” : 942,
“chainsperday” : 0.11353867,
}

That depends on you. If you can stand the variance, solo mining is always (very) slightly more effective. I´m currently solo mining with 24 cores on 4 machines and get a block every 2-4 days. But as soon as xolo is implementig a fallback option, which will prevent my machines from running empty when beeeer.org is down, I will go back to pooled mining. Difficulty will rise and with diff >10 I will only get a block a week or even less.

I need to ask a question but unable to create thread.
How do I create new thread?

I was mining on ypool for a few days and yesterday my balance reached 2.009723 so I transferred it to my address.
Then I tried to send the balance to BTC-E but when I tried to send it, it said:

The total exceeds your balance when the 0.01 XPM transaction fee is added.

Why is that? Isn’t all fees already deducted when ypool sent me the coins?
To whom this fee of 0.01XPM will be paid and how can I avoid it?

I’m behind a proxy and I’m having difficulties with the initial syncing on this machine. I understand how to work SOCKS proxies but the proxy I’m behind is an HTTP proxy.

How would I configure my primecoin.conf file to connect through it (and thus allow it to sync)?

UPDATE: I’ve got it working behind the proxy but the port’s blocked by the firewall and that’s out of my control. Any way I could transfer my wallet between ‘offline’ and ‘online’ machines and keep my XPM?

UPDATE 2: It’s cool, I’ve sorted my issues. :slight_smile:

Hi.

I just get “primespersec” : 0, at my primetime wallet. Im trying to solomining.
My CPU is working at 98%. So i have noe clue what to do.

I’ve seen numerous guides, but im stuck at this issue. Any suggestions?

How much computing power is enough in your opinion? I have the latest i7-4770K. Do you think this is sufficient for solo mining?

Here is some more of minig info:

{
“blocks” : 260529,
“currentblocksize” : 8700,
“primespersec” : 942,
“chainsperday” : 0.11353867,
}[/quote]

I have been solo mining with 10x more Primepersec you have and found nothing in about 3-4d…
Then I switched to pool mining.

Sent from my GT-I9505

[quote=“primecoin_builder, post:14, topic:271”]I need to ask a question but unable to create thread.
How do I create new thread?[/quote]
i am in the same Boat Mate …it seems The Powers that Be have Decreed that all new Members must Answer Directly to 2 Questions asked in the 5 or 6 posts that have been posted …i.e

if there was a Post Asking
What is the Answer to the Mathematical Puzzle of 17\3

Answer .NAN

that kind of thing
hay Moderator does this count As 1

[quote=“Arthur Scargill, post:19, topic:271”][quote=“primecoin_builder, post:14, topic:271”]I need to ask a question but unable to create thread.
How do I create new thread?[/quote]
i am in the same Boat Mate …it seems The Powers that Be have Decreed that all new Members must Answer Directly to 2 Questions asked in the 5 or 6 posts that have been posted …i.e

if there was a Post Asking
What is the Answer to the Mathematical Puzzle of 17\3

Answer .NAN

that kind of thing
hay Moderator does this count As 1[/quote]

Wow Cool they Let Me in i can now start new Topic Hehe…Thank You