Future Web Development - Appearance & Visual Style

Is it possible to just give several trusted people access to post on the blog? Community articles could just be written here by everyone on the forum and the people with access could post the community content. I think that sounds like an easier way to go about it. I don’t know how to use GitHub.

Also, I think it’s very important to be able to include formatting, bold, italics, indenting, posting hyperlinks and images. Text only posts just don’t cut it.

Yes, of course, an low profile formatting system such as markdown can be used in that case.

I really prefer a system like this. Trusted people like Cybnate, River and others could have access if they wanted it. If the community wanted to write content for the blog, they could do it here on the forum and the people with access could just post it on the website for them. Of course, I don’t have the final say here, so others are welcome to share their opinions.

On the news blog page, is it possible to include feeds from our various social media accounts on the right side? Twitter, Facebook, Reddit even the latest posts of the PeercoinTalk forum?

Yea, that should be pretty easy, but are you sure you want all of that content on the side. I mean 4 social feeds are a lot, especially if you post the same things to twitter and facebook, those would kinda be redundant.

Also, the last one would require some sort of plugin/module for the forum itself I believe.

Yea, that should be pretty easy, but are you sure you want all of that content on the side. I mean 4 social feeds are a lot, especially if you post the same things to twitter and facebook, those would kinda be redundant.

Also, the last one would require some sort of plugin/module for the forum itself I believe.[/quote]

Well, I honestly hate Twitter because of the character limitation, but we have an account because everyone else uses it. I prefer Facebook where I can write out important information. Which one do you think we should leave out? The forum feed is important to add, I know that. Do you feel 3 feeds is a better number, or still too much?

Also, the last one would require some sort of plugin/module for the forum itself I believe.[/quote]

Well, I honestly hate Twitter because of the character limitation, but we have an account because everyone else uses it. I prefer Facebook where I can write out important information. Which one do you think we should leave out? The forum feed is important to add, I know that. Do you feel 3 feeds is a better number, or still too much?[/quote]

Maybe it is too much, I think a lot of feeds make it look cluttered. Also, posts from reddit and peercointalk don’t really show any information until you click on them, and often have bad titles etc. I would personally just choose twitter or facebook.

I would have to agree with River on this one.

I would have to agree with River on this one.[/quote]

Yeah, that does make sense. We don’t want to have a feed on the website that shows content that we have no control over (Bad thread titles example). So that automatically rules out Reddit and the forum. Should we include both Twitter and Facebook, or only one? As I said earlier, I like Facebook better because it allows me to write out more content without the character limitations of Twitter. The news posted on Twitter may reach further though. Our Twitter also has almost double the amount of followers, compared with likes on our Facebook. Is there room for 2 feeds or will we need to choose one? If we need to choose, then it would probably have to be Twitter.

What about peer4commit projects? Is there a way to list the top 5 or 10?

http://peer4commit.com/projects

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:170, topic:2499”]Yeah, that does make sense. We don’t want to have a feed on the website that shows content that we have no control over (Bad thread titles example). So that automatically rules out Reddit and the forum. Should we include both Twitter and Facebook, or only one? As I said earlier, I like Facebook better because it allows me to write out more content without the character limitations of Twitter. The news posted on Twitter may reach further though. Our Twitter also has almost double the amount of followers, compared with likes on our Facebook. Is there room for 2 feeds or will we need to choose one? If we need to choose, then it would probably have to be Twitter.

http://peer4commit.com/projects[/quote]
Honestly, I would rather choose one, since we will probably want to display recent posts on the blog there as well. But we can try both solutions to see what looks better.

Also, I was thinking to add the top 5 list of the projects to the Contribute page, not necessarily to the blog page.

[quote=“TheWildHorse, post:171, topic:2499”][quote=“Sentinelrv, post:170, topic:2499”]Yeah, that does make sense. We don’t want to have a feed on the website that shows content that we have no control over (Bad thread titles example). So that automatically rules out Reddit and the forum. Should we include both Twitter and Facebook, or only one? As I said earlier, I like Facebook better because it allows me to write out more content without the character limitations of Twitter. The news posted on Twitter may reach further though. Our Twitter also has almost double the amount of followers, compared with likes on our Facebook. Is there room for 2 feeds or will we need to choose one? If we need to choose, then it would probably have to be Twitter.

http://peer4commit.com/projects[/quote]
Honestly, I would rather choose one, since we will probably want to display recent posts on the blog there as well. But we can try both solutions to see what looks better.

Also, I was thinking to add the top 5 list of the projects to the Contribute page, not necessarily to the blog page.[/quote]

Ok, I wasn’t sure if you were adding that in or not, so I thought I’d throw it out there.

If we go by the user account route, I would need the server owner to give me access to the MySQL database. Because storing password hashes in open-source files that anyone can read isn’t really a smart idea.

Do you have access to peercoin.net right now? We’re most likely going to launch the video sometime tomorrow. Would you be able to switch out the old video with the new one, or do you need someone with access to do it?

As far as I am aware, it is updated directly from the GitHub repo every 30 minutes or so, which means I do have access to it.

TheWildHorse, can you comment on this in the thread?

The weekend passed, still no more votes, I guess I’m going with the user login based page.

EDIT: Thinking about it now, I’m not exactly sure how can I do a login based page with the current state of the server. Basically, we are currently refreshing Peercoin.net from the GitHub repository every few minutes, and for a login system to work I have to have the MySQL server information on the actual server for it to log on to the server. Now, if I upload it directly to the server, it will get deleted in minutes, when the page refreshes, and if I add it to the GitHub repo, then the whole world will know the MySQL username and password.

We either have to disable the automatic updates and deploy the website manually in the future, or at least modify it so those files don’t get overwritten. Or use the other proposed solution.

I’m sorry TheWildHorse. As you can see I’ve been slammed with work. :frowning: Rather than holding everything up, I’ll post your questions here so anybody else can give feedback if they want to…

[quote=“TheWildHorse”]I’m trying to create a new “Contribute” page, while I wait for super, and I have a couple of quick questions.

• What types of contributions do you want me to propose on the site
  • Peer4Commit (development)
  • Volunpeering
  • Is this still active? http://peercoin.net/sponsor

What else do you think that page should show?
Thanks.[/quote]

I can probably give real feedback when I get some time. One thing though, I’ve never seen that sponsor page before. It must be something that Super3 implemented without telling any of us. Does anybody know anything about that page and can anybody provide some feedback for TWH’s questions while I’m gone?

Edit: By the way, I loaned Chronos the 100 PPC so he can get started on the content. He might not be able to start until Wednesday or later though.

TWH, have you seen this yet?

http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=3160.msg29935#msg29935

TWH, please check this concept in case you haven’t already. It’s a response to Super3’s comments…

http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=3160.msg30243#msg30243