Future Web Development - Appearance & Visual Style

I thought I should do it like this:
make a list with some kind of small colored labels, where green would be fiat, and orange crpyto

So each xchange will have a list of supported currencies such as:
USD
EUR
BTC
PPC
LTC

If individual coins and currencies are listed, might that not create a problem with keeping the website updated? New coins get adopted by exchanges, while others get delisted. For example, Vault of Satoshi adopted Novacoin earlier this year, but have since said they will drop it due to lack of demand

I wonder whether it is better to have only the basic details on peercoin.net (such as what country the exchange is in) and let visitors visit the sites for further details?

Good point sir!
What would the basic info contain tho.
Name, URL, country, special notes

What else?

I personally agree with RobertLloyd that Cryptsy could be mentioned, it is the second largest Peercoin exchange. Maybe Bter should be too, I don’t know much about them, but they recently helped return stolen funds to the Nxt community.

I’m not sure if you wanted comments on the content here or not, but here are some minor suggestions (most changes in bold).

Changes to first paragraph:

Exchanges allow [b]their[/b] users to exchange (hence the name) one currency for another. Using them, you can [b]transfer[/b] your [b]government-backed[/b] currency (such as USD or EUR) [b]from[/b] your bank account to buy Peercoin, or sell Peercoin back to that currency.

Second paragraph:

To exchange one currency for another, first you are required to deposit the currency you currently own to an exchange. As soon as the exchange [b]receives[/b] your money (or it passes a set number of confirmations in the case of cryptocurrency), the exchange should register the amount in their system and you should be able to start trading between currencies. At this state your money is just a number in the [b]exchange's[/b] system. When you are done trading you can [b]receive[/b] real currency by withdrawing it from the exchange.

Third paragraph: the word “get” appears twice in the sentence “Accounts of both parties get automatically get credited with the coins they traded.”

Fourth paragraph: “When a trade happens a small percentage is taken by the exchange for facilitating the transaction”.

Exchange list:
The Rock… “On the scene for more than 7 years.”
BTC38… Chinese is spelled incorrectly.
For BTC-e, I think we could mention that it has the largest volume, and the 3 day wait maybe doesn’t need a warning… so “Largest volume, 3-day withdraw delay for new users”

Hope this helps!

Thanks river!
Anyways, I fixed it up a bit. Check it out now: http://peercoinpulls.bearbin.net/144/exchanges
Also, added cryptsy.

EDIT:
Small update on the whitepaper download page: http://prntscr.com/42ncdi

Working on the minting page right now.

I need a help of a Mac user, I do not own a mac so I can’t do this myself. Anyways, I need a step-by-step guide with screenshots on how to start minting coins. Please make the screenshots of the windows with transparent background and with drop shadow if possible.

I will do linux and windows myself.

Thanks in advance.

[quote=“TheWildHorse, post:126, topic:2499”]Working on the minting page right now.

I need a help of a Mac user, I do not own a mac so I can’t do this myself. Anyways, I need a step-by-step guide with screenshots on how to start minting coins. Please make the screenshots of the windows with transparent background and with drop shadow if possible.

I will do linux and windows myself.

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Is this supposed to be minting instructions for the official client or Peerunity? Should the person doing this wait for you to finish the Windows and Linux pages so they can get an idea of what you’re looking for?

Why do we need separate guides for each OS, isn’t it the same process for everyone now since v0.4?

Haven’t got to that point yet, doing graphics for each section currently. (Banner preview: http://prntscr.com/42v9bh)

Well, I think the logical thing to do would be to make a guide for QT, since it is the official client.

I’m not sure if I like that. I actually thought it said mining at first and didn’t realize the hammer was supposed to be a T. I’m thinking it would be better to remove the hammer and just add a T. We don’t want to confuse anyone. Also, I wonder how many people will make the connection between the hammer and anvil and real coin minting. I didn’t, since I don’t really know anything about real minting. I guess maybe we should wait and see what it looks like on the page first and how it’s used.

[quote=“TheWildHorse, post:123, topic:2499”]Good point sir!
What would the basic info contain tho.
Name, URL, country, special notes

What else?[/quote]

I would say:
name
website URL
country
year established

Beyond that, I wonder whether we should even do special notes. The point of the list is to filter out fraudulent or insolvent companies, so visitors have a decent list to explore

If we start describing exchanges, making recommendations as to which is best at what, etc. we put ourselves in the line of fire, and are doing the exchanges’ job for them - exchanges should have FAQs and “About us” pages to answer these questions (in my view)

I’m not sure if I like that. I actually thought it said mining at first and didn’t realize the hammer was supposed to be a T. I’m thinking it would be better to remove the hammer and just add a T. We don’t want to confuse anyone. Also, I wonder how many people will make the connection between the hammer and anvil and real coin minting. I didn’t, since I don’t really know anything about real minting. I guess maybe we should wait and see what it looks like on the page first and how it’s used.[/quote]
I see, I will try to get that sorted, thanks for the feedback.

@Robert, that is a good point. What does everyone else think about that?

Minting page: http://i.imgur.com/Wne988k.png

Working on the guide, just have to figure out how to do it myself first.

[quote=“TheWildHorse, post:133, topic:2499”]Minting page: http://i.imgur.com/Wne988k.png

Working on the guide, just have to figure out how to do it myself first.[/quote]
I rewrote the content of the entire minting page in late March, but Super3 denied my pull request, because the page was eventually going to be redesigned. It looks like this might be a good time to merge my content via Peer4commit. It’s a pretty thorough overhaul of the content above the Quick Start Guide.

Thoughts?

[quote=“Chronos, post:134, topic:2499”][quote=“TheWildHorse, post:133, topic:2499”]Minting page: http://i.imgur.com/Wne988k.png

Working on the guide, just have to figure out how to do it myself first.[/quote]
I rewrote the content of the entire minting page in late March, but Super3 denied my pull request, because the page was eventually going to be redesigned. It looks like this might be a good time to merge my content via Peer4commit. It’s a pretty thorough overhaul of the content above the Quick Start Guide.

Thoughts?[/quote]
I will check it out, I wish you mentined that sooner tho. :slight_smile:

EDIT: You kept the same format which is awesome, so yea. Updated it: http://i.imgur.com/UpJObyo.png

[quote=“TheWildHorse, post:133, topic:2499”]Minting page: http://i.imgur.com/Wne988k.png

Is this info a place holder? The information listed under security is false. Peercoin doesn’t use PoW for security, and for PoS an attacker needs 51% of coins being minted, not all coins. Right?

And you already fixed, it never-mind :wink:

Where do you see that it has already been fixed? I see the text has been changed to say that you need 51% of all minting coins, but it still says that you also need 51% of the mining power. Did Chronos write this or someone else?

Where do you see that it has already been fixed? I see the text has been changed to say that you need 51% of all minting coins, but it still says that you also need 51% of the mining power. Did Chronos write this or someone else?[/quote]
I c/p-ed the content from the pull request that Chronos made here: Rewrite of minting explanation for clarity and quality by ChronosCrypto ¡ Pull Request #32 ¡ super3/peercoin.net ¡ GitHub

Here is the HTML version, so you can edit it more easily: http://peercoinpulls.bearbin.net/147/minting

Yep, my content was incorrect. Change this:

In a hybrid proof-of-work/proof-of-stake system, an attacker must possess 51% of mining power and 51% of all minting Peercoins, which makes any attack much more difficult. This is also a natural deterrent, since an attack would cause the value of the currency to drop. A party that possesses a majority of the coins is naturally motivated to not crash their value in an attack.

into this:

In Peercoin's proof-of-stake system, an attacker must possess 51% of all minting coins, which makes any attack much more difficult. This is also a natural deterrent, since an attack would cause the value of the currency to drop. A party that possesses a large number of the coins is naturally motivated to not crash their value in an attack.

In your pull request, Super3 responded with this…

Took a look. I argue that most people are not going to take the time to read those large blocks of texts. Need to commission a more graphical approach.

There are added graphics in the version TheWildHorse has made, but does anyone feel this is enough, or do we need more to visually tell the story? There is a lot of text there. I’m thinking that Chronos could film a YouTube video explaining much of what’s on this page and we could place it to the right of the introduction text. This way we have text, images and video all on one page. Each one will appeal more to somebody, so it’s a good idea that we cover all three.

I still need to read the entire thing, but does it talk about the fact that the entire network can be run on low-grade hardware, allowing any device to be able to participate and mint equally? I think this is very important to talk about. The animated video included a section about this, showing all the different types of devices that could be used for minting, phones, old computers, etc… If it’s not already in there, we should have a section after “Efficiency” called “Equal Participation,” where it explains the unfairness of proof of work mining and the fairness of proof of stake minting, due to the fact that anyone can mint using low-powered devices. Then we should have a graphic next to it showing all the various devices that can be used for Peercoin minting.