Future Web Development - Appearance & Visual Style

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:52, topic:2499”][quote=“TheWildHorse, post:48, topic:2499”]Update on the header. Please note that I do not like the coloring as it is now, I have some brainstorming to do on that fact. I’m kinda stuck in my own box right now, and have a hard time comming out of it and getting this thing sorted in a more elegant fashion.

Anyways: http://igor-rinkovec.from.hr/peercoin/[/quote]

Ok, first of all I want to give you my feedback on what you posted there… REDACTED[/quote]
I like it, I will implement this design in the morning.

@RobertLloyd Your screen is probably too narrow to show the full width website, and that’s where the responsive design kicked in and aligned them in a different way so you don’t miss out on any content.
Also, changing menu content will happen now as we wrap up the front page and continue to other aspects of the site.

[quote=“r00tsical, post:55, topic:2499”]@Sentinelrv
i like the fact that it’s looking less cluttered - nice work. i would prefer mono-coloured icons personally though - probably black/white vector art. i think this would make it look smarter in a similar manner to how the social icons at the bottom work.[/quote]

I agree, making all the icons like that would put the focus on the website’s main colors, white, green and dark gray. The icon colors are a distraction. Removing them would make everything less cluttered looking. TheWildHorse would need to find the right icon set for this. Also, in my post above I asked him whether it was possible to move those social icons to the navigation header where they’ll be most visible. Lots of people don’t scroll to the very bottom of the page, so we’re missing out on a lot of Facebook likes, Twitter followers and Reddit subscribers.

[quote=“r00tsical, post:57, topic:2499”]@Sentinelrv
sorry, also do we need the icon image in the top left now that the header looks like it does…? may make it look even smarter/more uncluttered with just navigation at the top.[/quote]

This is something that TheWildHorse would have to decide. It is a bit redundant now, plus lower quality because of the size reduction to fit it in the navigation. If it was removed, there would be lots more space for more navigation buttons, including the social media icons.

[quote=“RobertLloyd, post:60, topic:2499”]Is it possible to move the “Why Peercoin?” question higher, so it is immediately under (or part of) the “Peercoin is here” bar?

I suggest this because visitors need a reason to be interested in Peercoin - and so answering the question “Why Peercoin?” ought to be one of the first things they see[/quote]

Ok, this makes. The “Why Peercoin” section should come before the 3 features. I moved the market cap counter down and “Why Peercoin” up. Also, the reason why the “Why Peercoin” section is so short is because when we originally wrote this, we were trying to fit it in this tiny space. You mentioned having a mission statement wrote up about our goals and standards for Peercoin. This would be the perfect place to include it. You’d need to do it in the content thread though here.

[quote=“RobertLloyd, post:56, topic:2499”]Sentinel & Wildhorse

At the top of the page, to the right of “Forum”, can we insert a link “Newsletter”, leading to the email form for joining the newsletter list? At the moment, the newsletter invite is down the page - it ought to be at the top[/quote]

I added a 3rd green button to the dark background. Not sure if this is the right place to put it. I’ll leave it up to TheWildHorse to decide that.

Note: the concept image below originally featured a 3rd button in the dark header for the newsletter, but it looked too compacted and full of buttons, so I removed it. RobertLloyd made the suggestion below of including it in a drop down menu in the main navigation.

Full Size: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/Sentinelrv/Other-Images/PeercoinnetRedesign3.png~original

The website is looking good … but I think we have too many menus:

1. The permanent menu horizontally along the top
  2. The three buttons underneath the slogan
  3. The seven icons/symbols
  4. The links in the black area, towards the bottom of the page
  5. The four social links at the very foot of the page

Basically, we need to guide visitors to a single location or link for each of their particular interests but, at the moment, we are “fanning out” by providing too many duplicated routes for people to follow. Therefore, I think the menus need to be rationalised.

Do we, for example, need (4), the links in the black area at the bottom of the page? For instance, the two right-hand lists (exchanges and mining) are covered by options higher up

I also wonder whether the social links (5) can be moved to (1) at the very top under the heading “Staying in touch” - this could include the twitter, reddit links, etc. and also the Forum and email Newsletter

complete

[quote=“RobertLloyd, post:63, topic:2499”]The website is looking good … but I think we have too many menus:

1. The permanent menu horizontally along the top
  2. The three buttons underneath the slogan
  3. The seven icons/symbols
  4. The links in the black area, towards the bottom of the page
  5. The four social links at the very foot of the page

Basically, we need to guide visitors to a single location or link for each of their particular interests but, at the moment, we are “fanning out” by providing too many duplicated routes for people to follow. Therefore, I think the menus need to be rationalised.

Do we, for example, need (4), the links in the black area at the bottom of the page? For instance, the two right-hand lists (exchanges and mining) are covered by options higher up

I also wonder whether the social links (5) can be moved to (1) at the very top under the heading “Staying in touch” - this could include the twitter, reddit links, etc. and also the Forum and email Newsletter[/quote]

I think the main footer is very important and should stay. It provides a shortlist for different resources, without having to visit other pages first to see that info. Clicking on the main headings, links, tools, exchanges or mining should probably take people to a general resource page with a more complete list of resources.

I do agree that I might have gone overboard with the buttons in the previous concept image. For example, there probably isn’t a need for the 3rd “Newsletter” button I added and it shouldn’t be included. I made a mistake with that one and I think the dark header should look the same as my 1st concept image, not the 2nd. (Note: I altered the second concept image to put the dark header back the way it was) The “Why Peercoin?” and “Download Wallet” buttons are fine though I think. As you mentioned, a button to sign up for the newsletter could be added to the main navigation at the top instead. I don’t particularly like the title “Staying in Touch” though. I think we should have a drop down menu called “Community,” which lists all these important links like you said, the forum, newsletter signup form, volunpeer signup form, Facebook, Reddit, Twitter, etc… The social media icons could remain at the bottom of the page as well. There would just be a location added to the main navigation, so people can access these links from there.

“Community” is perfect

In this page text would look nicer and easier to read if margins are set. Like, centred and 80% width.

Ok, the mockup is implemented: http://igor-rinkovec.from.hr/peercoin/

I still need to find the right iconset, and will do that today. And I need to put more thought into the footer and header menus. Also, I will begin work on sub-pages and guides.

Languages added on top using the international language symbol.

[quote=“TheWildHorse, post:68, topic:2499”]Ok, the mockup is implemented: http://igor-rinkovec.from.hr/peercoin/

I still need to find the right iconset, and will do that today. And I need to put more thought into the footer and header menus. Also, I will begin work on sub-pages and guides.

Languages added on top using the international language symbol.[/quote]

For some reason I’m getting an error with the logos…

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/Sentinelrv/Other-Images/PeercoinnetError.png~original

Here is a screenshot from another member as well…

http://i.imgur.com/eS3ttVp.png

Also, are you writing the guides yourself, or just getting the pages ready?

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:69, topic:2499”][quote=“TheWildHorse, post:68, topic:2499”]Ok, the mockup is implemented: http://igor-rinkovec.from.hr/peercoin/

Languages added on top using the international language symbol.[/quote]

For some reason I’m getting an error with the logos…

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/Sentinelrv/Other-Images/PeercoinnetError.png~original

Here is a screenshot from another member as well…

http://i.imgur.com/eS3ttVp.png

Also, are you writing the guides yourself, or just getting the pages ready?[/quote]
I’ll take a look at it, I’m pretty sure I know what’s wrong.

I will try to cover as much as I can myself, I am pretty cryptocoin savy so I can write some more general things. But I would need someone to write stuff like “Why Peercoin?” and “How Peercoin works?” for me, I have a general understanding, but not as confident that I can do it justice.

EDIT: Should be fixed now, could you check that for me?

It’s still not working with IE. Do I have to clear my browser settings or something? I checked it for the first time in FireFox and it worked.

It seems that IE doesn’t like to play around with vector graphics…

I will make the image a normal .png and it will work fine.

Any notes other than that?

[quote=“TheWildHorse, post:72, topic:2499”]It seems that IE doesn’t like to play around with vector graphics…

I will make the image a normal .png and it will work fine.

Any notes other than that?[/quote]

Yes, I think the Peercoin slogan would look better if it wasn’t the same color as the text logo above it. I think it should match the white color that I have in my concept. In case you need the exact font, it’s vegur…

http://dotcolon.net/font/vegur/

Also, I think the slogan should be moved down a tad so it isn’t so close to the text logo, similar to my concept.

I’m not sure if it matters, but I did like the languages laid out in the footer with the darker shade of gray. I think the one at the top of the forum is more important, but maybe we could have both?

http://igor-rinkovec.from.hr/peercoin/ is quite nice, but I have several remarks and suggestions.

• The slogan: “secure and sustainable” is not catchy and is not meaningful in that it does not stress a problem that ppl have recognized.
    Secure? it is fair to say that litecoin is quite secure or primecoin is even very secure (more secure than peercoin)
    Sustainable? it is a word that ppl dont understand yet because the sustainability issue has not been recognized yet, generally.

I would suggest as slogan: “Truly Decentralized”

Because Centralization is a problem that both Bitcoiners and general population are sensible to.

• Icons
    These are too large, compared to the size of the page. Also, they dont fit well their word.
    “Miner” associated with DNT firecracker, “merchant” associated with a PVC container, “individual” with a credit card are particularly awkward.
    Can anybody design some customized icons for peercoin?

• Marketing concept
    Itis essential to have a technology vision well defined for the coin before getting into the design.
    What about being based on that article : http://cointrader.org/peercoin-proof-of-stake-and-bitcoin/

That could give us new mottos, like: Peercoin, the safest store of value in cryptocurrencies

That is all for now

[quote=“crypto_coiner, post:74, topic:2499”]http://igor-rinkovec.from.hr/peercoin/ is quite nice, but I have several remarks and suggestions.

• The slogan: “secure and sustainable” is not catchy and is not meaningful in that it does not stress a problem that ppl have recognized.
    Secure? it is fair to say that litecoin is quite secure or primecoin is even very secure (more secure than peercoin)
    Sustainable? it is a word that ppl dont understand yet because the sustainability issue has not been recognized yet, generally.

I would suggest as slogan: “Truly Decentralized”

Because Centralization is a problem that both Bitcoiners and general population are sensible to.[/quote]
I’m just a web dev, the slogan has been there before and I don’t like changing your marketing pitch much. I’m just here to make it look pretty and well organized.

[quote=“crypto_coiner, post:74, topic:2499”]- Icons
These are too large, compared to the size of the page. Also, they dont fit well their word.
“Miner” associated with DNT firecracker, “merchant” associated with a PVC container, “individual” with a credit card are particularly awkward.
Can anybody design some customized icons for peercoin?[/quote]
As stated before, icons are not finished and I will be working on them as soon as we get content written for 3 Peercoin “perks” on the top. If you can, contribute to writing those in the sister thread.

Also, the problem in IE has been fixed on my local machine, will update the server later when I get more stuff done. Also, changed the text to the font you requested and colored it white. Proof: http://prntscr.com/3ylqq8

[quote=“crypto_coiner, post:74, topic:2499”]I would suggest as slogan: “Truly Decentralized”

Because Centralization is a problem that both Bitcoiners and general population are sensible to.[/quote]

This is not true, Peercoin is one one the most centralized crypto currencies, where top100 addresses own almost 60% of total coins.
I’m just saying we should not give people excuse to propagate that fact by not being honest about this.

@TheWildHorse, we have 2 major wallets, the main qt wallet and the community developed wallet called Peerunity…

You can find the logo files for Peerunity in this thread…

The accumulation of large holdings is a true fact, but I disagree that it places Peercoin among the “most centralized.” For a relatively small investment I can still actively participate in securing the blockchain without risking ongoing mining costs; whereas with Bitcoin, the expense of becoming an independent miner is absolutely prohibitive.

Please excuse me for re-iterating a point I’ve tried to make a few times including recently on a thread specifically discussing the slogan. I would like to know if anyone else agrees:

[quote=“learnmore”]So in addition to secure and sustainable, I think we really need to start capitalizing on the word Peer itself. Even if a thousand other coins copy the Peercoin protocol, none of them will ever be able to claim this name. Peer implies all the meaning in “truly decentralized” plus even more such a “friendly”, “fair”, “accessible,” etc. Bitcoin is dominated by centralized industrial mining, but Peercoin is available to us all. I’m not sure yet how best to put this in a slogan but a suggestion to illustrate the point may be:

Secure. Sustainable. For Everyone.[/quote]

Peercoin-QT download page preview:
ON WINDOWS
ON MAC

The big download button changes depending on the OS that the page has been loaded on.

I just need large high-quality pictures with transparent background such as this one for linux and mac.

[quote=“TheWildHorse, post:79, topic:2499”]Peercoin-QT download page preview:
ON WINDOWS
ON MAC

The big download button changes depending on the OS that the page has been loaded on.

I just need large high-quality pictures with transparent background such as this one for linux and mac.[/quote]

How do you get to these pages? Is there a main download page that lets you select between the main client and Peerunity? Also, in the navigation, is there going to be a link that says Download? Do you still need a screenshot for Linux?