Founder and Developer Views Chapter in Peercoin Book

Please could prominent members of the Peercoin community write a fairly short statement about how they felt the first year of Peercoin went. Also, please include your most memorable event and how you made a difference to Peercoin in that period. A sentence or two about the future would also be great :smiley:

Sunny King, Sentinelrv, Lightning, FuzzyBear come to mind easily :stuck_out_tongue:

[center][/center]

book cover was
beautiful

[quote=“levent, post:2, topic:3491”]book cover was
beautiful[/quote]

was beautiful? lol

[quote=“Tyke, post:3, topic:3491”][quote=“levent, post:2, topic:3491”]book cover was
beautiful[/quote]

was beautiful? lol[/quote]

this is beautiful
I know little English

[quote=“levent, post:4, topic:3491”][quote=“Tyke, post:3, topic:3491”][quote=“levent, post:2, topic:3491”]book cover was
beautiful[/quote]

was beautiful? lol[/quote]

this is beautiful
I know little English[/quote]

OK thank you :smiley:

Here is mine. Sorry for the length. I just couldn’t find a way to say it in a shorter way…

I got interested in cryptocurrency around the time of the early 2013 price bubble. Rather than invest in Bitcoin though, I was looking for the next Bitcoin, something which improved on the initial design and I found that in Peercoin. I felt Peercoin was way ahead of its time, given the fact that most people were only focused on proof-of-work based cryptos. The idea of a long-term sustainable and energy efficient cryptocurrency that allowed anyone to fairly participate in the minting process was revolutionary to me. I felt as if I had stumbled upon the future of crypto and nobody else had realized it existed yet.

I immediately got involved and helped push for the rebranding of ppcoin to Peercoin. My most memorable event of the first year was when I managed the 99designs contest to find a new logo for Peercoin. I was brand new to the community at the time and nobody knew who I was. Without any previous reputation in the crypto community, I attempted to raise funds from the community to hold this design contest. While the fundraising was successful, I ended up contributing some extra funds of my own to help advertise the contest to more designers so we would get more submissions. Being in a role such as this is hard because you’re essentially balancing what you, the community and Sunny King wanted to see while trying to convey it all to the designers. Luckily, through this process we found the right designer in Lightning and chose his excellent work as the official Peercoin logo. Lightning has gone on to help our community design logos for Primecoin, Peershares, Peerunity and Peerbox.

Looking toward the future, I believe we’re going to have some stiff competition. Peercoin is no longer the only crypto based on proof-of-stake and many of our competitors are developing exciting new features. I still feel Peercoin has an edge on them though, due to our nearly 3 year constant distribution of coins via proof-of-work, plus the fact that we still have Sunny King as our caretaker. It took a brilliant mind to develop proof-of-stake consensus and I feel secure in knowing that this same person continues to develop and look out for the best interests of Peercoin. Sunny’s careful, security minded approach to development and focus on modular design has gained him a massive amount of trust and respect throughout the crypto community and that trust is not easily replaced by special features developed by competing crypto communities.

I also feel that Bitcoin and proof-of-work will continue to remain dominant for the foreseeable future. Proof-of-stake consensus is still discounted by a large number of people in the crypto community, but it continues to influence more and more people every single day. I believe that Peershares could be the key to legitimizing proof-of-stake as a valid consensus mechanism. Currencies that are based on proof-of-stake like Peercoin will continue to find difficulty in convincing people that they are the solution to the problems of proof-of-work. However, distributed autonomous organizations and corporations (DAOs & DACs) based on Peercoin technology like Peershares will start to grow in numbers. Unlike a cryptocurrency like Peercoin, DAOs and DACs will be able to create consistent profits in the form of crypto dividends for those who own shares in them. I see an entire economy springing up that is formed out of different types of Peershares implementations. The more this economy grows, the more its foundational consensus mechanism (proof-of-stake) will be legitimized, and in my opinion, that can only be good for Peercoin’s future.

Your statement fits nicely on two pages. Thank you :smiley:

Ok here goes…

I got into bitcoin in April 2012 through mining on a GPU rig, one 7970 AMD served me well and I learnt a lot about the fundamentals through the mining experience. By this point Bitcoin was worth about $7 a coin and I saw my investment as the GPU and the bitcoins as a side bonus that might be worth something one day. The mining was all done on GPU, and it was dominated by pools, a few large GPU rigs were solomining but slush was the big one, but bitparkings pool was one that stood out as an interest with merged mining altcoins of namecoin, Ixcoin, I0coin and devcoin alongside bitcoin.

LTC was mining with a CPU and I could see the lay of the land for a mass POW mining arms race should the price of bitcoin ever shoot to the moon this would fund the development for LTC GPU miners. The market was happy and filled with people speculating on bitcoin with GPU rigs and anyone unable to afford the GPU was mining LTC with a CPU. Any “clonecoins” back in those days were quickly snuffed out by community members if they showed premining, no announcement, no variation etc… BBQcoin was one of these as an example.

Then one day while browsing the altcoin section of bitcointalk I see this announcement from SunnyKing that there will be a new coin launched in 9 days and source code released to all at same time in order to try this new POS hybrid method of securing the blockchain. Firstly I liked the style of the post, SunnyKing was announcing the launch date giving everyone time to review the paper and get ready for the launch of the coin so as to give equal opportunity to all in the early stages. Secondly there were a number of familiar big names in the bitcoin world posting, reviewing and commenting on this POS hybrid and how it was going to work. SunnyKing was relentless in answering them all and came across confident in his choices and fundamentals of ppcoin, it was in these early days I became aware that SunnyKing was not your average bitcoin user and rather someone whom is very visionary and capable of writing very good code. He inspired me to further myself and strive to know and be able to do more.

PPCoin was launched and it took me a few days to get completely up and running mining on my GPU, but oh the days when my 7970 with 600MH could mine about 3 blocks in a day and the reward per block was about 1200 PPC. I set 50,000PPC as a target to mine and hold in a wallet to try the POS minting in 30 days. The race was also on to set up a pool for POW mining as there were days I got unlucky and found no blocks. NothinG setup the first pool and most of my coins were minined through there, but I wanted to try and give something extra to the few of us who were interested in this new coin. So I setup https://www.peercointalk.org with a number of guides on how to mine, what your config file should look like etc and ran it as a Drupal forum site. Never run drupal before but inspired by this SunnyKing to try new things and step outside the box. Pretty much immediately swamped by spam on the forum and had to switch eventually to SMF as we are today with its better spam prevention and options.

I had found a new passion in life… Peercoin, with this variation on the bitcoin code suddenly all the github repo’s for bitcoin related tools were potential useful coding projects to teach myself new and exciting code. Peercoin was repeatedly said by Sunny to be an experiment and to think about what you are investing, his level-headedness and weekly updates provided the confirmation PPCoin was here to stay and the POW sha-256 worked as an excellent distribution method as a few other pools added PPC (coinotron, bitparking) people became interested in minting blocks especially as the trick was to leave the coins in a wallet for more than 30 days without moving. 95% of all you could do at this point with any bitcoins was gamble it on sites and people would sometimes double up what they mined and most lost all they had mined, so forgetting about coins for a month seemed like a great investment as well.

The POS environmentally friendly aspect of PPC was not really touted so much in the first year, as POS was yet to be securing the network, but as bitcoin mining went to FPGA and then ASIC the arms race had really begun and suddenly all SHA-256 coins were under threat from 51% attacks if someone ordered all the ASIC’s or if an attacker developer the chip first. Suddenly I realised the true brilliance of Sunnyking as PPC was becoming secured by POS at this point and the threat was completely countered by the actual design of the coin. Maintaining a public ledger through POS as the ones that hold the most have the most to loose reduced the heavy expense of maintaining the blockchian through POW. Bitcoin price has always been tied to the cost of electricity and the difficulty of the network, Peercoin allowed for the same public ledger but without the overheads of daily electricity consumption.

Peercoin as a backbone currency is something that SunnyKing has always said, but it was Jordan Lee who made that a reality through the creation of Peershares. I believe there will be some exciting times ahead for Peercoin as more Peershares implementations are launched. The peercoin community has always been there for me, I have had some tough times but there are some great people capable of amazing things when they put their minds to it. Peercoin has attracted some very capable developers and there are some amazing projects like peerbox that just add to the interest peercoin has to offer.

One of the most memorable events for me in Peercoin would be the introduction of ASIC’s to the mining scene. Suddenly Peercoin was unique. Never would we see a SHA-256 coin launched with Peercoin’s parameters as the security could no longer be guaranteed through POW as a bitcoin pool would easily be able to attack the coin. Peercoin had made another unique feature about it that just made me believe I should invest my time with this coin and community.

Fuzzybear

Thank you FuzzyBear :smiley:

I wonder if Sunny King has written one yet :-/

[quote=“Tyke, post:9, topic:3491”]Thank you FuzzyBear :smiley:

I wonder if Sunny King has written one yet :-/[/quote]

I let him know, but sometimes it takes him several days to get back to me.

OK I will wait patiently ;D

Tyke, I got a response from Sunny, so you should expect something…

Ah thanks a lot for the heads up, let me think this through, I will let you know in a few days.

How about this? ;D

“I worked pretty hard through late 2011 and early 2012 on peercoin, and was thrilled to see the project materialize in front of our eyes. Released August 2012 to public, peercoin became the first to offer an energy efficient alternative design to bitcoin’s, and the first to introduce the concept of proof-of-stake with a real design. I was also deeply moved by the community supporting the project. To know many of you sharing similar ideals and contributing lots of effort in the cryptocurrency movement, makes this journey very fulfilling for me.”

[quote=“Sunny King, post:13, topic:3491”]How about this? ;D

“I worked pretty hard through late 2011 and early 2012 on peercoin, and was thrilled to see the project materialize in front of our eyes. Released August 2012 to public, peercoin became the first to offer an energy efficient alternative design to bitcoin’s, and the first to introduce the concept of proof-of-stake with a real design. I was also deeply moved by the community supporting the project. To know many of you sharing similar ideals and contributing lots of effort in the cryptocurrency movement, makes this journey very fulfilling for me.”[/quote]

Thank you Sunny. I will include it as soon as possible. Looks like the book is ready :slight_smile:

So when and how can I cut me a copy of this book?? :slight_smile:

Fuzzybear

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2