For those interested in Primecoin check Gapcoin too. Searching for prime gaps

It is a new coin that came out 1 week ago. It is searching for prime gaps and its expected to start making new records after difficulty of 27. At difficulty of around 35.5 every new block will be a new record. It is currently at diff around 21.

It kinda easy to solo mine a few blocks per day. First pool appeared today but a bit buggy i think. For now it is CPU only but i guess there will be a GPU miner soon.

Give it a try.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=822498.0

In Gapcoin,

• what happens to the reward when difficulty gets down?
  • why is it easier to create a pool in Gapcoin than in Primecoin?

I’ve read http://www.gapcoin.org/, but did not get my answers

Thanks

In Gapcoin, - what happens to the reward when difficulty gets down? - why is it easier to create a pool in Gapcoin than in Primecoin?

I’ve read http://www.gapcoin.org/, but did not get my answers

Thanks

Reward also gets down when difficulty gets down. As for the second question i just asked at bitcointalk and i will let you know when j0nn9 answers.

When mining Primecoin, you can easily betray the pool by modifying your miner to search only for smaller prime chains.
With Gapcoin, this is not possible.

In detail:

When you searching for prime chains, you use a sieve for filtering prime candidates.
If you search for a 10 chain, you sieve 10 times and eliminate all prime chain candidates that are smaller than 10.
The primecoin pool then for example credits you for submitted 10-chain candidates that are only 7,8 or 9-chains.

If you now sieve only 7 times, you will get a lot more 7-chain candidates.
Not only is your calculating effort less, you will also find 7-chains that would not have been 10 chain candidates.
The important point is, your chance of finding 10 chains drops while your chances of finding 7 chains rises.

Pool operators have to implement something to handle such “betrayers”.
With Gapcoin you don’t have this additional effort.

• the betray issue seems to me solvable
  • as for the reward getting low when difficulty gets low, that is a dangerous since it will exarcerbate miners getting out

[quote=“crypto_coiner, post:5, topic:3029”]- the betray issue seems to me solvable

• as for the reward getting low when difficulty gets low, that is a dangerous since it will exarcerbate miners getting out[/quote]

As for the reward yeah i understand what you mean but i wouldnt really agree. I would say that it can actually make bubbles smoother and not too big for people to stop caring about the coin. I proposed him btw to have a shorter halving period (now it is 2 years) in order to create more speculation and more peaks so that the coin actually have a chances to make new records. This isnt the best option for long term but my thinking was that cryptos today are evolving very fast and coins have to give people more speculation cause they end up mining the next scam coin that comes out…

Also i forgot to send you his reply. Well to tell you the truth i dont really know about the problem and why he considers his coin to be better. I have no opinion on that.

When mining Primecoin, you can easily betray the pool by modifying your miner to search only for smaller prime chains. With Gapcoin, this is not possible.

In detail:

When you searching for prime chains, you use a sieve for filtering prime candidates.
If you search for a 10 chain, you sieve 10 times and eliminate all prime chain candidates that are smaller than 10.
The primecoin pool then for example credits you for submitted 10-chain candidates that are only 7,8 or 9-chains.

If you now sieve only 7 times, you will get a lot more 7-chain candidates.
Not only is your calculating effort less, you will also find 7-chains that would not have been 10 chain candidates.
The important point is, your chance of finding 10 chains drops while your chances of finding 7 chains rises.

Pool operators have to implement something to handle such “betrayers”.
With Gapcoin you don’t have this additional effort.

Gapcoin has already found a gap that was 12th position in world ranks.

A new efficient cpu miner has been released now which is about 10 times faster than previous CPU one so the coin is actually still CPU mined and with hashrate almost 10x in a week or two more world records are coming in following weeks.

The coin still isnt known to most people and with a nice CPU computer you can get a a block or two per day.

I urge people to mine the coin. I dont care about making people buying it. I just want to see some records being broken by bitcoin protocol soon :slight_smile:

Is the network in testnet mode?

No. Its live.

speaking of altcoins involved with primenumbers:

http://riecoin.org/Press%20release%202014-11-26.pdf

txs the link