Expanding the Development Team

What can be done to expand the development team beyond one Sunny King?

The pace of development is slow and getting slower.

I am not a developer so cannot contribute. Bounties are a possibility, of course. But, is it also possible to incentivize a developer or two to come on board?

I also had thought about this. We need a couple of devs to help Sunny King. Unfortunately shell scripts and a minuscule bit of Python is all I know :frowning:

Maybe we can learn from our “enemies” (FTC) and set up at least two “development teams”:

• a core dev team for the official client and the protocol, leaded by Sunny King
  • a web dev team for the PPC market, merchant tools, oscommerce/drupal/wordpress plugins etc.
  • perhaps an artistic/marketing dev team for logos, corporate design, youtube videos, a ppc song :wink: etc.

So things could be a bit more organized.

Another idea I could be to form a greater “PoS dev team” with the devs of Yacoin, Novacoin and Bitbar, but I don’t know the level of knowledge they have and don’t know if they and the PPC supporters would like this idea.

I think it would be great to bring more minds in to the mix, but we don’t want the devs of another coin running off with innovation that was created here for ppcoin and incorporating it in to theirs instead. Who really knows what their skill levels are.

As far as contribution, I’d be willing to help in any way possible, only problem is I can’t code :-[ closest thing to programming I ever touched was c++ when I was still going to college ::slight_smile:

It would definitely be nice if talents in our community can step up and lead our marketing and application development, so that I could focus on wallet development and overall strategies.

Marketing and PR Director: responsible for planning marketing strategies and communications with media and important cryptocurrency businesses/organizations (we are lagging on this front to FTC and FRC, demonstrated by the new guardian article on altcoins)

Application Development Director: responsible for plan, coordination, development and operation of applications, such as auction market etc.

I think if we wait around for volunteers, it’s never going to happen.

I know that, on another thread, you said there shouldn’t be a “PPCoin Foundation”, but perhaps there can be some kind of virtual, anonymous organization that can handle the collection of donations for, and organization of, technical development, applications development and communications.

If people, particularly young talent, can earn some ppcoins by contributing to the infrastructure, we might get somewhere. At the moment, development on any front does not look too promising.

If any young talent is reading this and wants to earn some ppcoins, PM me and we’ll see if we can gin up some decent projects.

I think this is very important. We really need more manpower for development. Am I correct assuming that currently only Sunny is doing development?

I’m 100% convinced about the PPC concept and I’m sure a PoS coin will be the top cryptocoin in 1-2 Years. My greatest fear about investing in PPC is, that this top coin is not PPC but a fork of PPC with more manpower.

Sunny is doing really great work but most likely his programming talent and time is wasted when he does marketing and/or is setting up a auction market for example.

The question is, how to get for a minimum 1-2 additional Devs in? We need some incentives. But what can this be? Ofcourse we could collect PPC to pay them. But I doubt this will be enough to really pay someone.

I would like to help with the marketing / PR efforts. I am about to setup a informational website about PPC in Spanish and German (if someone wants to help with an English translation it would be greatly appreciated! Will make the announcement.), waiting for the logo to have a good-looking corporate design.

I also can write press releases to Spanish and German media, but I think there should be some “things get done” before, above all, there should be the logo and the new website finished. And it would be fine to have the next version of the client with a “reservebalance” parameter in the GUI and an easier handling of stake minting via the gui so we haven’t to deal with too much noob questions/rants like “oh, that’s too difficult, I will switch to BTC/LTC/FTC…”).

But I don’t speak English very good, so in the marketing team we need at least an English/American native for contacts with English-speaking media. I also live in Argentina, which is not exactly the “center of the crypto world” (although in this forum there is another Argentine registered).

But I will see what I can do :slight_smile:

I have two commits into Bitcoin, I’m just focusing on trying to improve the docs which are horrible right now. I would be interested in helping out with PPCoin. I would focus on documentation, web stuff/external libraries, and a bit of core. I think the current PPCoin website needs to go right away.

It would be nice to have some bounties, and a dev fund. Just really need enough to cover stuff like a small dev vps, and templates for web stuff.

Can we set some reasonable and easy goals for new devs?

That would be great if you can help with PPC development!

Perhaps a technically more skilled person should tell you better, but I see the following “easy” development goals for the PPC client the short term:

• GUI improvement: the “reservebalance” parameter should be editable in the GUI (for now, it must be set in the ppcoin.conf file)
  • GUI improvement: Unlock the wallet for minting only, via the GUI (for now, there is a shell script doing this, not very newbie-friendly).

Then there are some more difficult goals, like a possible “coin control” interface and the “cold locked transaction” feature proposed by Sunny King.

How do we get a dev fund going?

[quote=“d5000, post:9, topic:159”]That would be great if you can help with PPC development!

Perhaps a technically more skilled person should tell you better, but I see the following “easy” development goals for the PPC client the short term:

• GUI improvement: the “reservebalance” parameter should be editable in the GUI (for now, it must be set in the ppcoin.conf file)
  • GUI improvement: Unlock the wallet for minting only, via the GUI (for now, there is a shell script doing this, not very newbie-friendly).

Then there are some more difficult goals, like a possible “coin control” interface and the “cold locked transaction” feature proposed by Sunny King.[/quote]

Here’s the thing, Sunny wasn’t even the one who made the -qt ppcoin client. It makes me wonder if anyone is maintaining it at all? He was talking about pulling over the updates that have been made to bitcoin 0.8.2 some time soon in the weekly updates a while back though.

Does anyone know why I can’t get into a debug commandline in ppcoin-qt the same as in bitcoin?

Hi calian,

Qt is supported by me since v0.3.0. You are probably still thinking about the earlier Qt built by others.

Debug window is a relatively new feature in bitcoin. It would be available in release v0.4 in a couple of weeks.

Best Regards,

[quote=“calian, post:11, topic:159”]Here’s the thing, Sunny wasn’t even the one who made the -qt ppcoin client. It makes me wonder if anyone is maintaining it at all? He was talking about pulling over the updates that have been made to bitcoin 0.8.2 some time soon in the weekly updates a while back though.

Does anyone know why I can’t get into a debug commandline in ppcoin-qt the same as in bitcoin?[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying that Sunny. I’m looking forward to the 0.4 update.

Yeah I agree those are high priority items, and good for new developers to try their hands with.

super3, thanks for offering help! Would you be interested in trying the first item (reservebalance option in Qt)?

d5000, thanks for volunteering for PR work!

[quote=“d5000, post:9, topic:159”]That would be great if you can help with PPC development!

Then there are some more difficult goals, like a possible “coin control” interface and the “cold locked transaction” feature proposed by Sunny King.[/quote]

[quote=“Sunny King, post:14, topic:159”]Yeah I agree those are high priority items, and good for new developers to try their hands with.

super3, thanks for offering help! Would you be interested in trying the first item (reservebalance option in Qt)?

d5000, thanks for volunteering for PR work!

Then there are some more difficult goals, like a possible “coin control” interface and the “cold locked transaction” feature proposed by Sunny King.[/quote][/quote]
Sure. Just want to clean up the README stuff a little then I’ll give the reservebalance a shot. How long do pull requests usually take? I cleaned up the main README, and put in a pull request yesterday.

That’s great, thanks super3!

Just posted my review comment for the pull request.
Best Regards,

Just posted my review comment for the pull request.
Best Regards,[/quote]Fixed and replied. If you guys want to know what I’m working on you can see it here: https://github.com/CoinDev/ppcoin. I’m trying to make the readme more ours, and not just a copy from Bitcoin.

I also launched another topic http://www.ppcointalk.org/index.php?topic=302.new#new where maybe we could nail down exactly what needs to be worked on and in what order.

Ok I had an idea for this forum and thought I would let you decide if I should implement this?

Basically I can create user groups on here that you can request to join. I was thinking we could have one for Developer or Peercoin Developer, Primecoin Developer, Sunny could even have his own special group Lead Developer or whatever title you fancy Lord Developer if you really want :stuck_out_tongue:

This grouping would appear in above the junior member level in your profile summary when you post… and I could give you an icon of the PPC like here I implemented on devcointalk for devtome writers and administrators.

What are people’s thoughts?

FuzzyBear

[quote=“FuzzyBear, post:19, topic:159”]Ok I had an idea for this forum and thought I would let you decide if I should implement this?

Basically I can create user groups on here that you can request to join. I was thinking we could have one for Developer or Peercoin Developer, Primecoin Developer, Sunny could even have his own special group Lead Developer or whatever title you fancy Lord Developer if you really want :stuck_out_tongue:

This grouping would appear in above the junior member level in your profile summary when you post… and I could give you an icon of the PPC like here I implemented on devcointalk for devtome writers and administrators.

What are people’s thoughts?

FuzzyBear[/quote]

I like it, as long as there is real commitment to the job then it will help differentiate who is doing what here on the forums.