Example of a Peercoin Config File: ppcoin.conf

ppcoin.conf configuration file. Lines beginning with # are comments.

Network-related settings:

Run on the test network instead of the real bitcoin network.

#testnet=0

Connect via a socks4 proxy - default none

#proxy=127.0.0.1:9050

Accepting incoming connections

listen=1

UPnP

#upnp=1

##############################################################

Quick Primer on addnode vs connect

Let’s say for instance you use addnode=4.2.2.4

addnode will connect you to and tell you about the

nodes connected to 4.2.2.4. In addition it will tell

the other nodes connected to it that you exist so

they can connect to you.

connect will not do the above when you ‘connect’ to it.

It will only connect you to 4.2.2.4 and no one else.##

So if you’re behind a firewall, or have other problems

finding nodes, add some using ‘addnode’.

If you want to stay private, use ‘connect’ to only

connect to “trusted” nodes.

If you run multiple nodes on a LAN, there’s no need for

all of them to open lots of connections. Instead

‘connect’ them all to one node that is port forwarded

and has lots of connections.

Thanks goes to [Noodle] on Freenode.

Use as many addnode= settings as you like to connect to specific peers

#addnode=69.164.218.197
#addnode=10.0.0.2:8333

… or use as many connect= settings as you like to connect ONLY

to specific peers:

#connect=69.164.218.197
#connect=10.0.0.1:8333

Maximum number of inbound+outbound connections.

#maxconnections=

JSON-RPC options (for controlling a running Bitcoin/bitcoind process)

server=1 tells Bitcoin-QT to accept JSON-RPC commands.

#server=0

You must set rpcuser and rpcpassword to secure the JSON-RPC api

rpcuser=INPUT_YOUR_USERNAME_HERE
rpcpassword=INPUT_YOUR_PASSWORD_HERE

How many seconds bitcoin will wait for a complete RPC HTTP request.

after the HTTP connection is established.

#rpctimeout=30

By default, only RPC connections from localhost are allowed. Specify

as many rpcallowip= settings as you like to allow connections from

other hosts (and you may use * as a wildcard character):

rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcallowip=192.168.1.*

Listen for RPC connections on this TCP port:

rpcport=9902

You can use ppcoind to send commands to ppcoind

running on another host using this option:

rpcconnect=127.0.0.1

Use Secure Sockets Layer (also known as TLS or HTTPS) to communicate

with ppcoind

#rpcssl=1

OpenSSL settings used when rpcssl=1

#rpcsslciphers=TLSv1+HIGH:!SSLv2:!aNULL:!eNULL:!AH:!3DES:@STRENGTH
#rpcsslcertificatechainfile=server.cert
#rpcsslprivatekeyfile=server.pem

Miscellaneous options

Set gen=1 to attempt to generate ppcoins using built-in CPU mining

#gen=1

Use SSE instructions to try to generate bitcoins faster.

#4way=1

Pre-generate this many public/private key pairs, so wallet backups will be valid for

both prior transactions and several dozen future transactions.

#keypool=100

Pay transaction fee amount per kilo-byte. Default 0.01 (1 cent)

Minimum required 0.01 (1 cent)

#paytxfee=0.01

Allow direct connections for the ‘pay via IP address’ feature.

#allowreceivebyip=1

+:)

If possible, some further commenting to describe what some of these are for an whether they are necessary to set would be helpful to people less familiar with how it works. I like to think I’m up on stuff but that’d include me. :wink:

The .conf I have is principally the same for all Alt-TC.

So, for PPC is

rpcuser=someusername rpcpassword=somerandompassword rpcport=9902 daemon=1

with one exception; for PPC, I also have this line there too:

server=1

The server=1, allows me to then run a commandline

ppcoind walletpassphrase MyWalletUnlockPassword 9999999 true

and have the “unlocked for block minting only” message over the lock, which apparently in time will let the interest accrue.

I’m not sure you even need the rpcport, if you aren’t looking to port-forward from your router more requests than the usual 8 connections.

Serious Proof of Work mining is not something I’ve tried, having been put off by recognising I haven’t got the hardware for it. If you were to mine, then there are plenty of guides for that from pools looking for your contribution that would encourage use of the other options above. I think I’ve seen it suggest one of them is a count of the number of CPUs available for example but not needed or useful if you’re just holding coins and spending them.

Great introduction. It’s very helpful.

Thanks for this Fuzz! I see you doing a lot for PPC keep up the good work :slight_smile:

[quote=“davidpbrown, post:4, topic:42”]The .conf I have is principally the same for all Alt-TC.

and have the “unlocked for block minting only” message over the lock, which apparently in time will let the interest accrue.

Serious Proof of Work mining is not something I’ve tried, having been put off by recognising I haven’t got the hardware for it. If you were to mine, then there are plenty of guides for that from pools looking for your contribution that would encourage use of the other options above. I think I’ve seen it suggest one of them is a count of the number of CPUs available for example but not needed or useful if you’re just holding coins and spending them.[/quote]

David Brown,
I’m confused because I thought the benefit of Peercoin was that mining does not require much computing power, just luck, that’s why we can put the mining software on inexpensive computers, no special hardware requirements. Or, is it just minting, but not mining, that is energy efficient for getting coins? There seems to be conflicting info on this.

Didn’t read the thread, but I’m sure it’s very good. I just need to post two replies. This is the second one. Sorry.

[quote=“Dini, post:7, topic:42”][quote=“davidpbrown, post:4, topic:42”]The .conf I have is principally the same for all Alt-TC.

Serious Proof of Work mining is not something I’ve tried, having been put off by recognising I haven’t got the hardware for it. If you were to mine, then there are plenty of guides for that from pools looking for your contribution that would encourage use of the other options above. I think I’ve seen it suggest one of them is a count of the number of CPUs available for example but not needed or useful if you’re just holding coins and spending them.[/quote]

David Brown,
I’m confused because I thought the benefit of Peercoin was that mining does not require much computing power, just luck, that’s why we can put the mining software on inexpensive computers, no special hardware requirements. Or, is it just minting, but not mining, that is energy efficient for getting coins? There seems to be conflicting info on this.[/quote]

I would be really interested to read the answer of an expert to this question :slight_smile:

Where is this configuration file in Windows (Vista and 7) and where is it in Linux?

Hi guys not sure if this is the right place to post but here it goes. Maybe I need to add the config file in order to receive?

Hi guys,

For the first time ever yesterday i installed PPcoin Wallet as I purchased some PPCoins but still don’t have them showing in my wallet. I only have the wallet on pc and not sure if anything else is required.

1. Downloaded the application
  2. All the blocks finished the download
  3. I clicked on receive and create new address
  4. Sent that address to whoever is sending me the coins
  5. Its been almsot 10 hours and I don’t see antying in my wallet or transactions tab.

Please let me know what i am doing wrong as I already paid for them and I know that the person sent it.

[quote=“ppcoinz, post:11, topic:42”]Hi guys not sure if this is the right place to post but here it goes. Maybe I need to add the config file in order to receive?

Hi guys,

For the first time ever yesterday i installed PPcoin Wallet as I purchased some PPCoins but still don’t have them showing in my wallet. I only have the wallet on pc and not sure if anything else is required.

1. Downloaded the application
  2. All the blocks finished the download
  3. I clicked on receive and create new address
  4. Sent that address to whoever is sending me the coins
  5. Its been almsot 10 hours and I don’t see antying in my wallet or transactions tab.

Please let me know what i am doing wrong as I already paid for them and I know that the person sent it.[/quote]
Yup looks like you did everything correct. Ask the guy who sent the coins to you for a transaction ID which then you can check on a Block explorer
Fuzzybear

got it ,thx

[quote=“lllllll, post:9, topic:42”][quote=“Dini, post:7, topic:42”][quote=“davidpbrown, post:4, topic:42”]The .conf I have is principally the same for all Alt-TC.

David Brown,
I’m confused because I thought the benefit of Peercoin was that mining does not require much computing power, just luck, that’s why we can put the mining software on inexpensive computers, no special hardware requirements. Or, is it just minting, but not mining, that is energy efficient for getting coins? There seems to be conflicting info on this.[/quote]

I would be really interested to read the answer of an expert to this question :)[/quote]

That question was my very first post, required of newbies before we could post on the non-newbie threads (and I wanted to post on the thread for PPC giveaway!). Probably you’ve also figured it out by now, but only the Proof of Stake method of generating new coins is more efficient, and Peercoin uses both Proof of Work and Proof of Stake methods, while transitioning increasingly from Proof of Work to Proof of Stake as the Proof of Work difficulty increases (and PPC gets more widely distributed, to make POS confirmations work well). Also, I was confused about the “mining” and “minting” terminology. I think they can be used interchangeably, but most often I see POW linked with “mining” and POS linked with “minting.”

thank you!

Basically, I know the password to decrypt it, but there is no such options in the gui aka the qt to do it so I did this
http://imgur.com/eDWtwJJ
Please see the following for my ppcoin.confg
I am using fedora 20 xfce

[code]# ppcoin.conf configuration file. Lines beginning with # are comments.

Network-related settings:

Run on the test network instead of the real bitcoin network.

testnet=0

Connect via a socks4 proxy - default none

#proxy=127.0.0.1:9050

Accepting incoming connections

listen=1

UPnP

upnp=1

Quick Primer on addnode vs connect

Let’s say for instance you use addnode=4.2.2.4

addnode will connect you to and tell you about the

nodes connected to 4.2.2.4. In addition it will tell

the other nodes connected to it that you exist so

they can connect to you.

connect will not do the above when you ‘connect’ to it.

It will only connect you to 4.2.2.4 and no one else.##

So if you’re behind a firewall, or have other problems

finding nodes, add some using ‘addnode’.

If you want to stay private, use ‘connect’ to only

connect to “trusted” nodes.

If you run multiple nodes on a LAN, there’s no need for

all of them to open lots of connections. Instead

‘connect’ them all to one node that is port forwarded

and has lots of connections.

Thanks goes to [Noodle] on Freenode.

Use as many addnode= settings as you like to connect to specific peers

addnode=69.164.218.197
addnode=10.0.0.2:8333

… or use as many connect= settings as you like to connect ONLY

to specific peers:

#connect=69.164.218.197
#connect=10.0.0.1:8333

Maximum number of inbound+outbound connections.

maxconnections=16

JSON-RPC options (for controlling a running Bitcoin/bitcoind process)

server=1 #tells Bitcoin-QT to accept JSON-RPC commands.
#server=0

You must set rpcuser and rpcpassword to secure the JSON-RPC api

rpcuser=notTelling
rpcpassword=notTelling

How many seconds bitcoin will wait for a complete RPC HTTP request.

after the HTTP connection is established.

#rpctimeout=30

By default, only RPC connections from localhost are allowed. Specify

as many rpcallowip= settings as you like to allow connections from

other hosts (and you may use * as a wildcard character):

rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcallowip=192.168.1.*

Listen for RPC connections on this TCP port:

rpcport=9902

You can use ppcoind to send commands to ppcoind

running on another host using this option:

rpcconnect=127.0.0.1

Use Secure Sockets Layer (also known as TLS or HTTPS) to communicate

with ppcoind

#rpcssl=1

OpenSSL settings used when rpcssl=1

#rpcsslciphers=TLSv1+HIGH:!SSLv2:!aNULL:!eNULL:!AH:!3DES:@STRENGTH
#rpcsslcertificatechainfile=server.cert
#rpcsslprivatekeyfile=server.pem

Miscellaneous options

Set gen=1 to attempt to generate ppcoins using built-in CPU mining

#gen=1

Use SSE instructions to try to generate bitcoins faster.

#4way=1

Pre-generate this many public/private key pairs, so wallet backups will be valid for

both prior transactions and several dozen future transactions.

#keypool=100

Pay transaction fee amount per kilo-byte. Default 0.01 (1 cent)

Minimum required 0.01 (1 cent)

#paytxfee=0.01

Allow direct connections for the ‘pay via IP address’ feature.

#allowreceivebyip=1[/code]

Sorry, Im just not getting it. I’ve opened another thread in case someone can help there, but thought I’d try here instead. WhenI I say ‘I don’t get it,’ I mean that I understand (vaguely) the advantage of ‘Proof of Stake,’ but When I follow the instructions provided here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=187714.0 - and then follow along with the corresponding YouTube vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnLvE_Vnojc&list=PLBt4zAxcWonnA8-InWGUEw-UZofHdUIeT - I still und up with a locked wallet with Minting disabled.

I get that I’ll need to switch back and forth and all that. Not an issue. But I don’t get why some simple copy-and-paste code isn’t working out. I’m kind of reluectant to copy FuzzyBear’s example, as it is much longer, and I have no clue what the code will or won’t due. I’m sure it’s great, and see that others have tweaked it, but if I install it, and need to tweak it, I will not be able to do so.

I’m running Windows 7, 64-bit. I’m finally able to mine (thanks to those who helped!), and now I’m wanting to try minting as well. Any guidance will be appreciated, and sorry fothe quasi cross-post. I typically don’t do that. I’m in a bit of a rsh for no reason.:wink: Thanks in advance.

[quote=“Lakota, post:17, topic:42”]Sorry, Im just not getting it. I’ve opened another thread in case someone can help there, but thought I’d try here instead. WhenI I say ‘I don’t get it,’ I mean that I understand (vaguely) the advantage of ‘Proof of Stake,’ but When I follow the instructions provided here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=187714.0 - and then follow along with the corresponding YouTube vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnLvE_Vnojc&list=PLBt4zAxcWonnA8-InWGUEw-UZofHdUIeT - I still und up with a locked wallet with Minting disabled.

I get that I’ll need to switch back and forth and all that. Not an issue. But I don’t get why some simple copy-and-paste code isn’t working out. I’m kind of reluectant to copy FuzzyBear’s example, as it is much longer, and I have no clue what the code will or won’t due. I’m sure it’s great, and see that others have tweaked it, but if I install it, and need to tweak it, I will not be able to do so.

I’m running Windows 7, 64-bit. I’m finally able to mine (thanks to those who helped!), and now I’m wanting to try minting as well. Any guidance will be appreciated, and sorry fothe quasi cross-post. I typically don’t do that. I’m in a bit of a rsh for no reason.:wink: Thanks in advance.[/quote]
You still need help Lakota or you look sorted from your other thread http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2364.0;topicseen

The # lines in the conf file example are “comments” so just text to explain what the variables are / mean or to take out the line from the config file. If you wanted you could delete every line that starts with # and u and up with

listen=1 rpcuser=INPUT_YOUR_USERNAME_HERE rpcpassword=INPUT_YOUR_PASSWORD_HERE rpcport=9902 rpcconnect=127.0.0.1
Fuzzybear

Bump

Awesome.