[Download] Peercoin-Raspi-Desktop - Automated installer for raspberry pi

Thanks @Tea42 I’ll switch to shell and stack this raspi over my router (enabling sshd from my notebook only) to leave it as permanent node.
How long will the sd last? Does peercoin db write a lot?

did a shell conversion hoping to get more connections, after a couple days it slowly went up about 22, 19 now, maybe it gets better in the next couple of days, but before the shell conversion I think it went quicker, and i had about 30 connections

will wait a couple more days and see

looks like it leveled out at about 20… I can try waiting some more tho

I never get more than 13 connections at home, so I think it also depends on location or internet provider… If you get more connections using the QT client, I would use that one :slight_smile: I have no idea why it would get more, as the whole desktop consumes a lot more resources than a plain shell.

at 26 now, my theory is that the blank screensaver could use less resources than the shell screen, but i’m still giving it some days to reach higher connections

from recent Sunny King Interview, Cryptoblog - notícias sobre bitcoin e criptomoedas!

Ben: Do you have any guidance on what the community can do to ensure network security? Is it as simple as "start minting"?

Sunny King: Right that’s sort of comparable to 51% attack in bitcoin

Sunny King: I know many users are hesitant to do this because of risk of getting hacked. That’s why the cold minting feature is an important consideration

Sunny King: Before that feature is implemented, you can do two things to help mitigate the risk

Sunny King: One is to use the ‘minting only’ unlock mode for minting with an encrypted wallet

Sunny King: The other is to proxy your minting node behind tor

Ben: For the second mitigation strategy, we, the community, can help educate people about setting up Tor and enabling the proxy settings on their wallet client

Ben: Or, as Peerchemist and I were discussing earlier today in chat, offer a “Tor defaulted” option for the Peercoin Raspberry Pi distribution

Ben: Cold-minting is big, and as you’ve probably seen from the forums, a topic that is of huge interest.

Sunny King: Yes it’s one of the high priority items

@Tea42 and all the other experts on this thread: what do you think of this statement that we could offer value in “a ‘Tor defaulted’ option for the Peercoin Raspberry Pi distribution” ?

@NME That makes a lot of sense. I think the installer in this topic would be positioned best as the easy @home edition, and tor fits best on the super secured version of Peerchemist. What do you think?

Tea42, does this setup script exist in a repository somewhere so I could fork and make changes.

The main change I want to make is a step that simply asks the user if they have physical access to the pi or not (this determines whether ssh is disabled) to make it a tad easier. I’ve absentmindedly lost access twice now, first I forgot to re-install ssh, second I forgot to open the ports. At several hours each mistake it’s a big enough step to warrant a prompt to the user. Maybe have a NOT RECOMMENDED thing if they try to disable it.

For users that set these up completely headless it’s a bit of a pain.

tastycrumpet, yep running this installer headless is not going to work, because ssh is removed and the firewall will be activated… I feel your pain!, but I wanted to make the installer completely safe by default. If you leave ssh open there is always the risk of people not changing the default password, or using a dictionary password… So I opted to just block and remove all forms of remote access.

So, setting it up headless is possible, but it does require tinkering in the installer script, which makes it even more clear that it is at your own risk. I’m not going to give the option of remote access in the installer, because I really want it to be safe by default. Everyone who owns a pi probably has a tv as well, and a keyboard and mouse are very cheap. So I’m sorry for the frustration I caused for people wanting ssh, but the default installer I want to give makes the pi local access only, on purpose.

edit:
I don’t have a repository… I’m not a programmer, these scripts are very crude, simple and can be edited for personal use (or you can offer your own modified version in a different post or site)

[quote=“Tea42, post:89, topic:2255”]… I wanted to make the installer completely safe by default. If you leave ssh open there is always the risk of people not changing the default password, or using a dictionary password… So I opted to just block and remove all forms of remote access.

So, setting it up headless is possible, but it does require tinkering in the installer script, which makes it even more clear that it is at your own risk. I’m not going to give the option of remote access in the installer, because I really want it to be safe by default…[/quote]

@Tea42, I very much appreciate your security first design philosophy.

Security first is definitely the way to go, and should be default, but the steps to not include firewall changes should be an option.

At the very least there should be a big warning about what is going to happen in the script so people can take appropriate action if they don’t have physical access. Not needing a display or keyboard and mouse is one of the many reasons I use Pis, They can be hooked up to a switch and you are off and flying!

thanks NewMoneyEra!
Tastycrumpet, you do have a point. I’ve added a warning in the first post that it only works with a locally attached keyboard&mouse.

The installer script, full node conversion scripts, peercoin config script and email config script have been updated.

The install_peercoin.sh from the first post will now completely close up the firewall, so no incoming connections are possible at all. Open it up with ‘sudo ufw allow 9901’.

The conversion scripts will now only open port 9901, and keep the firewall active.
You can disable the firewall manually with ‘sudo ufw disable’.

Some minor issues have been fixed in the ppcoin config and email config scripts.

Also I’ve added a dropbox mirror option, in case google drive is locked out.

If something is not working properly, please let me know :slight_smile: Cheers!

Removed full node shell-only conversion, as it didn’t seem to handle more connections than the desktop client.

[quote=“Tea42, post:1, topic:2255”]Peercoin-Raspi desktop is an automated installer package for Peercoin on your raspberry pi.

3. Setup guide (peercoin-raspi-install-guide.pdf):
mirror 1 dropbox
mirror 2 google

1. Desktop package (peercoin-raspi-0.4.0.zip):
    mirror 1 dropbox
    mirror 2 google

2. Install script (install_peercoin.sh):
    mirror 1 dropbox
    mirror 2 google

Follow the steps in the setup guide to install Peercoin on your PI.

Disclaimer: I am not accountable for anything that happens on your raspberry pi. Using this installer package is your own responsibility.[/quote]
I have a working new PI B+ and it is operational.
I did instalation steps from the install guide and in this morning there were 5 connections but now downloading of blockchain.
(some message that there was an old node or connection)
Maybe I 've to restart de PI first after instalation?
Is all peercoin software needed to set up a node? It deleted other software I instaled before.
Or can I reinstall the software I installed befor the peercoin instalation?
No problem to reinstall all the softwae again. I want to learn more about how to setup a node and I want to get the reward of 10 PPC alfter instalation.

Question: So can I use to PI for other use or only for the peercoin node application?

thanks

[quote=“Peer4Jan, post:95, topic:2255”]I have a working new PI B+ and it is operational.
I did instalation steps from the install guide and in this morning there were 5 connections but now downloading of blockchain.
(some message that there was an old node or connection)
Maybe I 've to restart de PI first after instalation?
Is all peercoin software needed to set up a node? It deleted other software I instaled before.
Or can I reinstall the software I installed befor the peercoin instalation?
No problem to reinstall all the softwae again. I want to learn more about how to setup a node and I want to get the reward of 10 PPC alfter instalation.

Question: So can I use to PI for other use or only for the peercoin node application?

thanks[/quote]

Hi Peer4Jan! the installer script is tested on a freshly installed raspbian image. It is safest to use a fresh image, and only to use peercoin on that sd card. You can reinstall browsers and other stuff after installing peercoin, but then you have the risk of downloading viruses or become vulnerable to other threats. So it is all on your own risk.

Downloading the blockchain will take a long time, a day or so! This is normal on a raspberry pi, just wait it out. There will be an error in the client warning you that the blockchain is old, that is also normal if the download hasn’t finished yet.

Thanks for the explanation.
I consider running EnergyCoin wallet on the PI so that is no probleme I think.
When it is running I post my experiance with this here.

Some desktop items (those running in a terminal) won’t work on the newest raspbian release. The desktop package (item 4) now contains the fixed versions of the desktop items.

You can either redownload peercoin-raspi-0.4.0.zip and overwrite your desktop items, or manually fix broken desktop shortcuts with these steps:

[ul][li]Right mouse click on desktop item, click leafpad[/li]
[li]Remove the line that says: Terminal=true[/li]
[li]Replace the text --command with the text: lxterminal -e (see example below)[/li]
[li]Example of a working exec line: Exec=lxterminal -e “/home/pi/updatemysoftware.sh”[/li][/ul]

[ul][li]Added an install script for Peerunity on the raspi :slight_smile: [/li]
[li]Reconfigured the install script for the reference client so it is fully compatible with the newest raspbian release[/li]
[li]Fixed an issue with the automated status mails (there was a nondelivery error on sending gmail address, but mail was sent anyway)[/li][/ul]

If you have an existing installation, and you have trouble with UFW complaining about ip6tables, or a socket error when starting the client, copy the following lines and paste them in an lxterminal:

# part  1: socket error fix
cd /home/pi
sudo modprobe ipv6
sudo cat /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart > autostart
sed -i '/@sudo modprobe ipv6/d' autostart
echo "@sudo modprobe ipv6" >> autostart
sudo mv -f autostart /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart
sudo chmod 644 /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart

# part 2: UFW
cd /home/pi
sudo cat /etc/default/ufw > ufw
sed -i '/IPV6=/d' ufw
echo "IPV6=no" >> ufw
sudo mv -f ufw /etc/default/ufw
sudo chmod 644 /etc/default/ufw
sudo chown root:root /etc/default/ufw

Hi I 've setup now the Peercoin node.
I opened the ports manualy and I 've now 8 connections stable see pictures:

What can I do to get more connections?
Just wait or do some configuration?
Do I qualify for the reward of 10 ppc?
Only the serial number picture of my rasberry pi is missing.