[Download] Peercoin-Raspi-Desktop - Automated installer for raspberry pi

Yeah that would be nice, but for now it’s a manual setting. I’ve also included it in the setup guide, it advises to select ‘blank screen only’. There is so much to do (also non-ppc related :stuck_out_tongue: ), and I have to prioritize things. I’ll try to find time to update the script some time (there’s probably a config file somewhere for xscreensaver).

The autostart of the peercoin client is also a good suggestion, but can also be annoying if the user is not counting on it to happen. The weekly email will alert you that your client isn’t running if there has been an accidental reboot. Also, minting will not start autmatically when the peercoin client starts, so user action is required anyway.

Contribute to the Peercoin network

If you want to help the Peercoin network to grow, you can contribute to the distibution of the blockchain by running a full node. These are the necessary steps:
Configure your Peercoin client with a long obnoxious RPC password.
Forward TCP port 9902 from your internet router to the IP of your Peercoin client. The command ifconfig in a terminal window displays the ip on your pi.
Check that you get more than 8 connections to your Peercoin client, and leave it running. You are now helping to distribute the blockchain!
Extra note: You don’t need to have Peercoins in your wallet to run a full node.

It should be 9901 isn’t it ? 9902 is rpc, better kept it local and make a tunnel to control it remotely

Thanks Romerun, you seem to be right! I’m going to test it tonight

edit: Tested, it works, 9901 is the right port to forward

In my case I need it, since I will not have a console connected to the Pi except when I need to send some coins.

Could you please tell me, how to get peercoin-qt in autostart?

If you add it to /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart it should run automatically after login on the desktop
sudo nano /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart

New entries should start with a @, so add:
@/home/pi/.ppcoin/ppcoin-qt

But beware that minting does not start automatically

If you add it to /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart it should run automatically after login on the desktop
sudo nano /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart

New entries should start with a @, so add:
@/home/pi/.ppcoin/ppcoin-qt

But beware that minting does not start automatically[/quote]

Thanks. I also found that solution on the internet, but it didn´t work for me. Must have been a typo. Will try again when I am at home.

I gonna try this. How much sandisk space should I buy?

I’m most likely going to buy Raspberry Pi Model B V.2 (700 Mhz, 512 RAM).

Atleast 8gb. Mine are working good with 8gb

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7000 mit Tapatalk

was about to do something similar, i just cant believe those remarks of megabytes per second until i see it with my own eyes[/quote]

Just curious if either of you tried this? If it’s not too high then it should be ok for the RPi tipping project.

was about to do something similar, i just cant believe those remarks of megabytes per second until i see it with my own eyes[/quote]

Just curious if either of you tried this? If it’s not too high then it should be ok for the RPi tipping project.[/quote]

+1

[quote=“Tea42, post:6, topic:2255”][quote=“Cybnate, post:5, topic:2255”]Very nice, now just need to order the R-pi…

BTW Can you get an simple graphical terminal setup into the R-pi? Like taking over a PC remotely. Would save the hassle of connecting the keyboard and monitor.[/quote]

Here is an article about remote desktop from a windows computer to an RPi: http://www.raspians.com/knowledgebase/?knowledgebase=setting-up-a-remote-desktop-view-the-pi-on-your-windows-pc/
But I’m not a big fan of remote connections to my wallet… If someone is on your lan (almost everyone has wifi ), then they can try to hack into your pi if you open that port.
By default everything is closed up after you run the installer above (except ppc port 9902). You’d have to reinstall openssh-server to be able to connect with ssh. Also you’d have to open the ssh port on the UFW firewall on the pi.

During the installation you need to connect a keyboard+mouse anyway, and either a monitor or a tv. After everything is running and your client is minting, you can disconnect everything except the power and network. The pi will send you an email with the status of your peercoin client every friday at 9 am.[/quote]

Tea, can you please advise: so if Im running a fresh install, connect to it remotely by moba or another remoter, then I run your script and my connection will die ? because the script blocked remoters ?
is there a way to work around this ? I wont have the spare monitor for this, that’s the issue

best,

Dan

[quote=“n00b2013, post:31, topic:2255”]Tea, can you please advise: so if Im running a fresh install, connect to it remotely by moba or another remoter, then I run your script and my connection will die ? because the script blocked remoters ?
is there a way to work around this ? I wont have the spare monitor for this, that’s the issue

best,

Dan[/quote]

Yeah it does that. The script installs and enables the UFW firewall, so that connection will no longer get through. The script also uninstalls openssh-server, so if you want to ssh you will have to reinstall openssh-server openssh-client and ssh.
The reason for this is a simple ‘safety first’. There is going to be a wallet on that sd card, so the default settings should be safe and closed.
You can work around this by not executing the whole script, but open it in leafpad, and copy paste the parts you want to execute to a terminal window.

[quote=“Tea42, post:32, topic:2255”][quote=“n00b2013, post:31, topic:2255”]Tea, can you please advise: so if Im running a fresh install, connect to it remotely by moba or another remoter, then I run your script and my connection will die ? because the script blocked remoters ?

best,

Dan[/quote]

Yeah it does that. The script installs and enables the UFW firewall, so that connection will no longer get through. The script also uninstalls openssh-server, so if you want to ssh you will have to reinstall openssh-server openssh-client and ssh.
The reason for this is a simple ‘safety first’. There is going to be a wallet on that sd card, so the default settings should be safe and closed.
You can work around this by not executing the whole script, but open it in leafpad, and copy paste the parts you want to execute to a terminal window.[/quote]

I understand the reasoning quite well, but issue is I have no HDMI at all, so if I run the script as is, I will loose access to the RPI entirely lol
btw I just got mine, installed the image and hooked I up, now Im ready to install the node, but I gotta sort the script out; btw can I just cut out the parts that disable the openssh and install the FW ? and run the script ?
any help will be highly appreciated, haven’t done this before :slight_smile:

best,

Dan

[quote=“n00b2013, post:33, topic:2255”]I understand the reasoning quite well, but issue is I have no HDMI at all, so if I run the script as is, I will loose access to the RPI entirely lol
btw I just got mine, installed the image and hooked I up, now Im ready to install the node, but I gotta sort the script out; btw can I just cut out the parts that disable the openssh and install the FW ? and run the script ?

best,

Dan[/quote]
You can remove all the openssh enties in the part ‘removing unneeded and risky applications’, and remove the 4 lines of ufw install and config under ‘installing and configuring ufw firewall’. Then your connection won’t drop. But be aware that sshd will be running, and no firewall will be installed.

[quote=“Tea42, post:34, topic:2255”][quote=“n00b2013, post:33, topic:2255”]I understand the reasoning quite well, but issue is I have no HDMI at all, so if I run the script as is, I will loose access to the RPI entirely lol

best,

Dan[/quote]
You can remove all the openssh enties in the part ‘removing unneeded and risky applications’, and remove the 4 lines of ufw install and config under ‘installing and configuring ufw firewall’. Then your connection won’t drop. But be aware that sshd will be running, and no firewall will be installed.[/quote]

I just did that :slight_smile: I actually modded a few more things; a note here: a mark of a good coder- comments, thank you for having such a clean script there :slight_smile:
I should be up in a few hours give or take depending on the card’s speed I guess

cheers !

Tea, btw what about leaving SSH and adding this to the script:

sudo ufw allow from 192.168.x.0/24

then local connects will continue accessing the RPI, yet it will be pretty secure ?

just a thought, see I have no choice, I have to find work arounds :smiley:

are you updating the scripts with new ones? the portnumber rule for ufw is still 9902 in this version, I guess you want to add/change different things too maybe that script from romerun from the other thread (i couldnt find it because there are two raspberry pi threads)

and maybe there is another one made by NME, not sure … should be merged probably

Newbie here, what does running Peercoin Node on RPI actually do?

Is this just running the QT wallet?
Is it mining?

I plan to participate in this but just wanted a little more information before doing so.

Thanks

[quote=“ppafford, post:38, topic:2255”]Newbie here, what does running Peercoin Node on RPI actually do?

Is it mining?

I plan to participate in this but just wanted a little more information before doing so.

Thanks[/quote]

means running the qt-wallet in a server mode so to speak, you are helping the network by propagating the blockchain, other clients connect to you to fetch blockchain data

[quote=“ppafford, post:38, topic:2255”]Newbie here, what does running Peercoin Node on RPI actually do?

Is it mining?

Thanks[/quote]

You are just running the QT wallet with port forwarding (so you have more than 8 connections to the network). To win the 10 PPC tip, you do not have to mine or mint :slight_smile: