DigitalOcean alternative?

Digitalocean droplet limit problem alternative vps?

It is a pity that they have this limit. I’m paying beyond the initial 10$ offer I got and although I would like to get more mining instances, was about happy with the five I got. I recently though it would be cool to also set up some other stuff like a web server, gaming server, team speak server, etc, and contacted them requesting if they could increase my limit for this purpose. I also wanted some extra instances for distributed systems experiments for the university, and the response I got was that accounts involved in mining are denied the “privilege” of buying more droplets. To me, this sounds like my account is always going to be treated as a second category account. That is not cool, at all.

I understand that mining taxes CPU a lot. But I also understand that mining doesn’t need disk space, nor that much RAM (for a server) nor input output nor bandwidth, so I don’t think that this is fair and would love to know about good alternatives for my real world dollars.

You can try Linode. I personally contacted their support and they say that they don’t disallow mining, but that you can’t use “excessive” resources. I guess 1-2 threads should be okay. Anyhow, they’ll probably contact you before the suspend your account.

I tried one of their servers (the 1GB one) during a trial period, and it outperformed DigitalOcean’s 2GB. I guess it’s because Linode uses XEN virtualization, which has somewhat shared cores (you can take full advantage of the threads on their enterprise Xeons), while DigitalOcean uses KVM, which has dedicated, small virtual cores (not as efficient at mining).

One major downside though: it costs more. The aforementioned 1GB plan costs $20/month, the same as DO’s 2GB plan. I guess it doesn’t matter too much, since mining doesn’t take up the other resources anyway.

[quote=“alfred, post:3, topic:1164”]You can try Linode. I personally contacted their support and they say that they don’t disallow mining, but that you can’t use “excessive” resources. I guess 1-2 threads should be okay. Anyhow, they’ll probably contact you before the suspend your account.

I tried one of their servers (the 1GB one) during a trial period, and it outperformed DigitalOcean’s 2GB. I guess it’s because Linode uses XEN virtualization, which has somewhat shared cores (you can take full advantage of the threads on their enterprise Xeons), while DigitalOcean uses KVM, which has dedicated, small virtual cores (not as efficient at mining).

One major downside though: it costs more. The aforementioned 1GB plan costs $20/month, the same as DO’s 2GB plan. I guess it doesn’t matter too much, since mining doesn’t take up the other resources anyway.[/quote]

Linode 1gb plans how much prime chain ?

Sorry, forgot to put it in.
Running on 2 threads, about 0.25 chains/day.
Running on 3 threads, about 0.35-0.4 chains/day.

With DigitalOcean, running on 2 threads (2GB plan) I got ~0.2-0.25 chains/day. This isn’t too far off from Linode’s 2-thread metric, it’s just that there’s the possibility to mine on more threads with Linode.

Note that these are from yesterday (i.e. below-10 difficulty).

so what did they exactly mean by “excessive” resources?

Like what i do on Azure, if i run 1 PTS miner at a 8-core i get like 50col. If i run 7 miners i get 100-120+ (12-18/each)
Then if i start 1 primecoin miner i will produce about 1000 primes/sec w.o affecting the PTS hashrate at all.
Then on top of that i run a securecoin wallet with setgenerate true and it dont affect Primeminer or PTSminer somehow.
Its extremely slow and laggy to connect and 1 of the instances crashed once.
I guess its kinda that type of “usage” that they mean with “excessive resources”
When i check the stats for the instances they are on constant +99% load…

There are really cheap VPS such as BlueVM but they will charge you $50 if they find out you are mining cryptocoins.

I’m pretty sure this is how it works (but don’t take my word for it): it’s called “excessive” if other clients start complaining that their VPS’s are suddenly a lot slower.