Current status of Peerbox

Hi,

first of all I apologize for temporary abandoning this project. I could not imagine I will loose so much time with Teehe project when I started it.

While I was with Teehe project I have found out that team who maintains Linux kernel for Raspberry Pi has abandoned specific branch Peerbox used and moved to maintain only 3.18 branch. Peerbox uses Linux kernel 3.14 LTS (long term support).

Why is this specific kernel version so important is due to fact that Grsecurity people will maintain their patch for this specific version for years to come. They provide it only for LTS kernels (3.2 and 3.14) and latest stable kernel (3.19 at this moment) for testing purposes.
To remind you Grsecurity patch for Linux kernel is non standard (not in main branch issued by Linus himself) and it offers unparalleled hardening features for Linux kernel significantly improving the security of Peerbox.

Using outdated kernel and Grsecurity patch beats the purpose of both as continual updates on this stable code are mostly security improvements. Due to this specific issue I will not release new Peerbox images, not until it is resolved.

It is beyond my skill set to maintain 3.14 branch for Peerbox exclusively, and I will have to seek different solution.
I have found that http://alpinelinux.org/ developers have recently released their OS for Raspberry Pi.
AlpineLinux is also security focused hardened Linux distribution that uses Grsecurity patch with 3.14 LTS kernel as their main kernel.
However it seems that they do not use Grsecurity patch for their Raspberry Pi edition but they do maintain that kernel branch internally.
My plan is to propose cooperation to AlpineLinux developers to maintain this specific niche setting of patches and kernel version together. Hopefully they have manpower to handle it.

Also, their forum is currently down so I did not make contact yet.

I just wanted to bring you up to speed, I will do my best to find solution and continue with the project.

Thank you for the update, I hope that the AlpineLinux devs will understand the importance of Peerbox for Peercoin.

At the moment, which version of your Peerbox do you recommend using? Is it still safe to mint coins on any old Peerbox version?

[quote=“GLock, post:2, topic:3439”]Thank you for the update, I hope that the AlpineLinux devs will understand the importance of Peerbox for Peercoin.

At the moment, which version of your Peerbox do you recommend using? Is it still safe to mint coins on any old Peerbox version?[/quote]

They do not have to understand Peerbox or Peercoin just accept collaboration proposal that will benefit both parties.
I still have trouble contacting developer who is behind Raspberry Pi edition of their OS.