Could be sync checkpoints disabled by default?

Can I remove checkpoints by default?
Many people are very concerned about the checkpoint, can peercoin cancel the checkpoint now?

Can peercoin walk independently?

This is how you turn off checkpoints:

$ ~/.peercoin/peercoind help | grep checkpoint
enforcecheckpoint <enforce>
getcheckpoint
sendcheckpoint <blockhash>
$ ~/.peercoin/peercoind getcheckpoint
{
    "synccheckpoint" : "45f92f8c2434a88931f420e7242dc96a0d0f0dc83c63f315f322ecf0a6eb7e79",
    "height" : 348347,
    "timestamp" : 1517918774,
    "subscribemode" : "enforce"
}
$ ~/.peercoin/peercoind enforcecheckpoint false
$ ~/.peercoin/peercoind getcheckpoint
{
    "synccheckpoint" : "45f92f8c2434a88931f420e7242dc96a0d0f0dc83c63f315f322ecf0a6eb7e79",
    "height" : 348347,
    "timestamp" : 1517918774,
    "subscribemode" : "advisory"
}

anyone can do it.

2 Likes

Why not remove the checkpoint? What are we worried about?If there are no problems, the checkpoint has no meaning and can be deleted directly.

It’s time to delete the checkpoint.

1 Like

It was time to do so in 2013.

1 Like

If synchronized checkpoints are disabled manually or by default, the fallback is the hardcoded checkpoints on every software release (same as bitcoin).

Another option discussed is to replace synchronized checkpoints with a “max reorganization” limit, going X blocks back. This limits the number of blocks which can be wiped out, and is also decentralized. I think some Peercoin and/or Bitcoin derivatives use this method.

Update: Currently, Peercoin protocol should not reorg the chain past ~20 days, related i think to stake modifier selection interval. New blocks cannot use stake modifier beyond the selection interval window.

Do you people realize that checkpoints are not used? There is just support for the feature in the client, but it’s not used.

v0.8 will have a config flag to be compiled without support for the checkpoint subsystem.

Sync checkpoints should be disabled by default.

Edit: I also don’t think we need support for the feature in the client.

Edit 2: The sync checkpoints really have done untold damage to investor confidence in Peercoin.

1 Like