>COINS OK<I can see coins I transferred on the block chain, but not in client?

EDIT THE COINS ARE OK.

I saw the coins on the Blockchain, and finally by using secure erase of the whole local copy, and then used ppcoind to pull down a new chain, the balance was their. Fired up QT, and there was the balance.

so the QT/Computers were not pulling down the blocks properly or latching or something.

I also found out that volume 55 in pywallet lets you look as peer coin.

So as long as you have the private key and and can see the coins are on the corresponding public key in the block chain everything is good.

You can test with pywallet to insert the private key into a fresh wallet and see it generate the public address, or use, import privkey or use Fuzzy’s vanity gen link to check.

always make sure you have access to every private key…and back up wallets

Story below

So I transferred some coins, to new address I control on a separate machine.

I can see the address in the block chain, and that coins are there, and my client is past the block height, but they are not showing up in the client???

what could this be???

EDIT
I was able to dump the private keys from the wallet, and then reimport them to the a new wallet, and the address came back. I did this with pywallet

but still no coins…this is crazy as I can prove I can sign for those coins.

I have tried on 2 separate machines, and 4 os’s configs, still no dice…

I have imported the keys in know working wallets as well

How many peers are connected on the new client (receiving wallet).

What block number did the transaction occur?

On the new client did you run ppcoind validateaddress to see if comes back with “ismine: true”

How large was the transaction?

It’s difficult to help you answer your question without as much detail as possible about the sending address / receiving address or transaction and block number, etc, etc.

[quote=“ppcman, post:2, topic:1681”]How many peers are connected on the new client (receiving wallet).

What block number did the transaction occur?

On the new client did you run ppcoind validateaddress to see if comes back with “ismine: true”

How large was the transaction?

It’s difficult to help you answer your question without as much detail as possible about the sending address / receiving address or transaction and block number, etc, etc.[/quote]

when I dump the wallet, with pywallet 2.0.5 the addresses looked like bitcoin addresses???

and this is for several wallets across several machines made at different times on different OS’s but the address all look like

19hoxxxxxx

1j11qxxxxxxx and so on

having said that the wallet file show up with correct addresses across several platforms and OS’s when I load up peer coin qt, just on coins…?

there are 8 peers connecting, the blocks have defn gone througn, my qt is higher

Very, very interesting. All Peercoin wallet addresses I’ve always had, ALWAYS been with P something (not 1)

You are definitely using a bad peercoin install, or on some weird sort of bad peercoin forked chain, or have sent the coins to a bad address, or…

You claim that it appears on the blockchain? Where? at http://ppc.cryptocoinexplorer.com ?

This problem isn’t the time to be shy. Your last message proves something is terribly wrong. Wallet addresses begin with the letter capital “P” not 1

[quote=“ppcman, post:4, topic:1681”]Very, very interesting. All Peercoin wallet addresses I’ve always had, ALWAYS been with P something (not 1)

You are definitely using a bad peercoin install, or on some weird sort of bad peercoin forked chain, or have sent the coins to a bad address, or…

You claim that it appears on the blockchain? Where? at http://ppc.cryptocoinexplorer.com ?

This problem isn’t the time to be shy. Your last message proves something is terribly wrong. Wallet addresses begin with the letter capital “P” not 1[/quote]

i figured that out you need to put 55 in the volume number space and all the address come out properly. So the wallet was not corrupted at least in that sense…

I was able to dump the prig keys from the wallet, and then reimport them to the a new wallet, and the address came back. I did this with pywallet

but still no coins…this is crazy as I can prove I can sign for those coins.

I have tried on 2 separate machines, and 4 os’s configs, still no dice…

any help appreciated.

Jubalix, did you compile the Peercoin wallet client yourself, or are you using one of the pre-compiled builds? I see that you mentioned that you had to use ‘55’ in the volume number space, which, unless I’m thinking of something else, only needs to happen if you’ve messed around with the base58 encoding.

Can you share the address that you sent these coins to, either here, or through a PM if you’d rather not post it publicly? As ppcman noted, Peercoin addresses start with a “P”, so if you have something else, I’m really curious to see where it came from and what the transaction looks like in the block chain.

[quote=“Ben, post:6, topic:1681”]Jubalix, did you compile the Peercoin wallet client yourself, or are you using one of the pre-compiled builds? I see that you mentioned that you had to use ‘55’ in the volume number space, which, unless I’m thinking of something else, only needs to happen if you’ve messed around with the base58 encoding.

Can you share the address that you sent these coins to, either here, or through a PM if you’d rather not post it publicly? As ppcman noted, Peercoin addresses start with a “P”, so if you have something else, I’m really curious to see where it came from and what the transaction looks like in the block chain.[/quote]

I did not build myself but obtained official builds for the peer coin site.

The volume 55, is to do with pywallet, when you dump the keys etc. This gives you the PeerCoin format. I was able to dump the keys,and import them into a new wallet and the reconstituted perfectly with the correct addresses that I sent them to and that they appear in the block chain.

without using the right volume start you get the wrong info, a pywallet note was that 53? or something was name coin, and 111 was test net I think, so this is just a function of how pywalled deals with things I think…?

I never touched any non standard issue, or basecodeing. Ithing this is to do with sunny selecting P for the first letter of each address it must some sort of wrap around function that starts from a volume number, I am guessing though.

This must mean I am the only one that can sign that transaction…but why are they not showing up in the QT?

Thanks for the update, that makes sense. I’ll let you know if I find anything

On one of your machines, can you try to move the existing block chain database out of the PPCoin directory and then use PPCoin-Qt to rebuild it?

First, stop PPCoin-Qt if it is already running. I’ve found it helps do use something like this:

# Change you directory so that you are in the one that contains your wallet.dat and blk*.dat files
$ cd ~/{...}/PPCoin/

# Create a "troubleshooting" directory to save the files we'll be moving, in case you need to move them back
$ mkdir troubleshooting 

# Back up your wallet.dat file into the new directory (use the `cp` command, below, or whatever method you prefer)
$ cp -p wallet.dat /troubleshooting

# And finally, move the block chain database files to the "troubleshooting" directory
$ mv blk*.dat /troubleshooting

Once you’ve run those steps, start back up PPCoin-Qt and let it re-synchronize with the Peercoin network. My hypothesis is that with the new download of the block chain, and with the (newly added) address already present in the client, that when the block that contains the transaction is read, it will get picked up and added to your balance.

If this doesn’t work, we can look into other options, but let’s start simple and work out from there if needed.

[quote=“Ben, post:9, topic:1681”]On one of your machines, can you try to move the existing block chain database out of the PPCoin directory and then use PPCoin-Qt to rebuild it?

First, stop PPCoin-Qt if it is already running. I’ve found it helps do use something like this:

# Change you directory so that you are in the one that contains your wallet.dat and blk*.dat files
$ cd ~/{...}/PPCoin/

# Create a "troubleshooting" directory to save the files we'll be moving, in case you need to move them back
$ mkdir troubleshooting 

# Back up your wallet.dat file into the new directory (use the `cp` command, below, or whatever method you prefer)
$ cp -p wallet.dat /troubleshooting

# And finally, move the block chain database files to the "troubleshooting" directory
$ mv blk*.dat /troubleshooting

Once you’ve run those steps, start back up PPCoin-Qt and let it re-synchronize with the Peercoin network. My hypothesis is that with the new download of the block chain, and with the (newly added) address already present in the client, that when the block that contains the transaction is read, it will get picked up and added to your balance.

If this doesn’t work, we can look into other options, but let’s start simple and work out from there if needed.[/quote]

thanks, will do.

also how do you start ppcoind in osx…I can do primcoid in linux, but I don’t have linux on me right now, and am stupid to use ppcoind…is there a directory I need to put it in. This was so I can use rpc-json calls

For OS X, from Terminal:

$ cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/PPCoin/
$ ./ppcoind --daemon

[quote=“Ben, post:11, topic:1681”]For OS X, from Terminal:

$ cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/PPCoin/ $ ./ppcoind --daemon [/quote]

thanks

Ok I checked the wallet using PPcoind.

all the addresses show up as true for is mine

I dumped out the privkeys and the match the pywallet privkeys.

the wallet passes the check wallet test

Interestingly ppcoind did not seem to like importing a privkey into a new wallet…I am not sure why. Still the addresses I sent to are all correct, and dump the right private keys, and those priv keys can be used by pywallet to import them into a fresh wallet, and that wallet checks out.

I am using ppcoind to down load the blk chain, I all then move the files as you suggested.

This is really frustrating. On one hand I feel that if I have the private keys and they are valid, I yield the public address then I should have complete control over the coins. However that does not help when zero balance shows up.

There is such a thing as “change addresses” which generated for each transaction. I don’t know much about them, but they appear on the blockchain in one of your transactions.

But you shouldn’t worry about this part until after you see some coins.

I find it odd that you’ve imported the wallet addresses AND private keys, re-loaded the blockchain, and you are still coming up with 0 coins?

[quote=“ppcman, post:13, topic:1681”]There is such a thing as “change addresses” which generated for each transaction. I don’t know much about them, but they appear on the blockchain in one of your transactions.

But you shouldn’t worry about this part until after you see some coins.

I find it odd that you’ve imported the wallet addresses AND private keys, re-loaded the blockchain, and you are still coming up with 0 coins?[/quote]

yes the change addresses will be for the amount that is remaining in the first wallet and that shows up as balance so thats ok…

I also find it very odd…I have done many many transfers, with coins e.g. I mined primed coins and did 100’s of transactions like this to clear my mining addresses as soon as they found coins…no problems.

I am running v0.3.0ppc-5-g56c492d-dirty-beta ppcoind right now and down loading the chain again…I check all the md5’s when I down loaded

Ok finally the coins appeared in the client

I had to secure erase the databases and entire ppccoin directory.

then run ppcoind

that finally shows coins, on get info and magically the client now does to.

It must be a database down load corruption, or the client was failing to latch.

I don’t understand why that happens very very stressful

Excellent. I’m sorry you had a problem, but glad we got it resolved for you.