Chat History Functionality & Live Updating Recent Posts Ticker

This was posted in chat. just thought I’d post it here for further discussion…

Cybnate: It’s a pity that NuBits doesn’t want chatbox as they think it would reduce posts. That is probably true but it would also improve community sense

Cybnate: Will need both

Sentinelrv: I remember saying David didn’t want one if he ever had to start another forum.

Sentinelrv: I wish it did though. I feel cut off from everyone while I’m there.

Cybnate: Yes, I also do remember that

Sentinelrv: Maybe if they had one it could have a history built into it so nothing is lost.

Cybnate: yes, that’s what I mean with community sense, it’s missing there, as in most forums

Cybnate: One of the reasons I stuck here in the early days.

Cybnate: yes, the history is an issue. That needs improvement. Scrolling back and searching should be made way easier

Cybnate: Maybe to add to list of improvements for peercointalk revamp?

Sentinelrv: I think somebody would have to develop that. Fuzzy would probably know. But I meant a chat box with history on the NuBits forum. At least things wouldn’t be lost forever.

NewMoneyEra: I agree with you Cybnate: easily accessing chat history and searching ability would be a big improvement to chat on Peercoin.

Cybnate: Thanks for your support @NewMoneyEra. Hope we can convince FB or other developers to build something for this forum

Cybnate: Other thing I thought would be nice is ticker right under chatbox when new posts arrive. Ideally clickable on title

Sentinelrv: You mean recent posts? That’s already at the bottom of the forum.

Cybnate: yes, but not updated, you need to refresh. We can refresh PPC price so why not have live ticker with latest posts. Just an idea I like

Cybnate: A Peercoin dashboard :slight_smile:

Sentinelrv: Maybe I can post this chat in the forum requests board.

Cybnate: Not a bad idea, it might need some more discussion and FB should be involved anyway

Ok the chatbox history has had a complete revamp.

URL: http://chatboxhistory.peercointalk.org/

Features:
Listing 100 messages at a time.
Paging functionality so you can jump between pages (last page = latest post)
Real time updates from the shoutbox on peercointalk as reading from the DB on a separate View.

Improvements (please add your suggestions):
Need to sort out logos, links images branding colours etc
Table boarder on the messages?
Links to say Sunny King interview, interesting discussions?

Enjoy :slight_smile:

Fuzzybear

Thanks for this! One suggestion. If we could please have the ability to jump to a certain date / time, that would be great.

teek

Thank you FB for your work. Finally we made a step.

Thanks FB. This is awesome.

[quote=“teek, post:3, topic:2930”]Thanks for this! One suggestion. If we could please have the ability to jump to a certain date / time, that would be great.

teek[/quote]
Added the functionality :slight_smile:

Few things i can see i need to clean up, had some issues with datetime formats but this works
and watch out on paging issues need to clean that up a bit.

But enjoy :slight_smile:

Fuzzybear

[quote=“FuzzyBear, post:6, topic:2930”][quote=“teek, post:3, topic:2930”]Thanks for this! One suggestion. If we could please have the ability to jump to a certain date / time, that would be great.

teek[/quote]

Few things i can see i need to clean up, had some issues with datetime formats but this works

Fuzzybear[/quote]

the search on date function doesn’t work here, i search for some date in 2014, it returns results of 2013
something strange, tried to see what the problem was, searching for 01/10/2014 gives me results of 10/1/2014,
day/month/year --> month/day/year , this is only difference in the display of d/m/y to m/d/y no big deal right? wrong unfortunately;
searching for 12 Sept works: 12/09/2014 , gives me 9/12/2014 , but searching for one day later 13/09/2014 gives 8/4/2013 , my guess it is because it uses the day as the month, and there is no 13 or above month. Probably easy to fix tho

it is strange, because it does work and just changes the place of day/month, to month/day in the results, but when the day is higher than 12, in the search, it becomes erroneous because it is thinking im talking about months, weird

[quote=“irritant, post:7, topic:2930”][quote=“FuzzyBear, post:6, topic:2930”][quote=“teek, post:3, topic:2930”]Thanks for this! One suggestion. If we could please have the ability to jump to a certain date / time, that would be great.

teek[/quote]

Fuzzybear[/quote]

the search on date function doesn’t work here, i search for some date in 2014, it returns results of 2013
something strange, tried to see what the problem was, searching for 01/10/2014 gives me results of 10/1/2014,
day/month/year --> month/day/year , this is only difference in the display of d/m/y to m/d/y no big deal right? wrong unfortunately;
searching for 12 Sept works: 12/09/2014 , gives me 9/12/2014 , but searching for one day later 13/09/2014 gives 8/4/2013 , my guess it is because it uses the day as the month, and there is no 13 or above month. Probably easy to fix tho

it is strange, because it does work and just changes the place of day/month, to month/day in the results, but when the day is higher than 12, in the search, it becomes erroneous because it is thinking im talking about months, weird[/quote]
Fixed :slight_smile: now displays easy to read date time format

Fuzzybear