Changes to Peercoin's Slogan & Core Messaging

Currency is heavily associated with money. Coin can be associated with either something like gold or money.

Yes, that was my thinking, currency is close to dollar, pound, etc. Coin is capable of more meaning, but it needs crypto before it to occupy the same space as cryptocurrency, and therefore replace it.

The coin is only worth the space it can buy on the chain, all else is speculative. Our speculative market is non-existant, so we are not really a money. Rather, we are only a commodity and the main use case is immutability.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Might “cryptocoin” be bad for SEO? Nowadays a lot of people simply say “crypto”, so I think it would make sense to at least break the word into “Crypto Coin”.

I’m not against “Cryptocurrency” either as it is used elsewhere and is much more recognised than “Cryptocoin”.

I’m not keen on “The”, not because it isn’t true, but because it might be perceived as “over-bearing”.

I believe we have a well earned right to use “the”.

4 Likes

just stop saying saving account or gold coin. sound like scam.

1 Like

My favorite is the one Matthew suggested, The Sustainable Cryptocoin. It sounds official, not sure it can be topped.

3 Likes

I would say “The Sustainable Cryptocurrency”

1 Like

That is why this thread exists, so we can come up with better messaging to replace the old style dependent on Bitcoin. If anyone has better suggestions to describe it, we are open to them.

Edit: not talking about the slogan here, but the longer descriptions used on the website, the messaging.

“Sustainable P2P Asset” will work best if in case other asset becomes huge on Peercoin Network such as NFT or other forms of contracts.

1 Like

One of the main points of the above discussion is that we want to move away from currency and money references, because we don’t really see Peercoin or any crypto as money. This is why coin or cryptocoin has been suggested as a replacement. Peerchemist explains it pretty well above, that coin is the core identity. It’s even in the name. Coin can be either store of value or money. It’s not focused on one over the other, but currency is.

3 Likes

The Sustainable Cryptocoin certainly has energy.
Sustainable P2P Asset is dry in comparison.

1 Like

“Sustainable” is a MUST. I think everyone can agree on that one. Sustainable software and sustainable for the environment. Two of the most important things in crypto right now… “The Sustainable” is very powerful as it implies that we believe it is the only one. Whether it is 100% true or not, we believe it is and we have the right to market it that way because we are only implying it. “The Sustainable” also ads meaning to “Sustainable”. It has been sustainable with a solid 10 year history. It also ads a feeling of safety for the future. “Sustainable” by itself could be questionable without “The” in front of it… So far “The Sustainable …?” What? Well, “Peer” is in the name. Most people will see the word “Peer” as meaning some sort of interaction with other Peers. Peer pressure etc. If we were called Personcoin then that implies a coin for yourself but Peercoin gives a more descriptive feeling of interaction. “Peercoin” by itself very much gives the feeling of P2P swapping/transferring of money/coins. So IMO “P2P” and even “Coin” is not necessary in our Slogan since it is already in our Name. Why repeat words when we only have 3-5 of them to get the message across. Let Bitcoin try copy us and help us in the process with their P2P slogan. We already have it in our name. So “Coin” is out and “P2P” are
out… We are trying to get away from “crypto” so it would go against our beliefs/position to use “Crypto” in the slogan. So “Crypto” is out. Then we have “Commodity”, “Asset”, “Money” and “Currency”. I don’t know enough about this subject of where Crypto currencies fit in according to the Feds with their incoming Regulations. From what I do see is that it is not really widely accepted as any of the above and it is still debatable amongst professionals in this field. So using any of the above IMO could be risky as the regulations are not clear yet. I LOVE the Slogan “THE SUSTAINABLE CURRENCY”. Especially with an increase in dissatisfaction in Fiat Currencies… Currency also reinforces Peer to Peer… I like the Positive vibe in the world for the word “Blockchain”. If we could measure the feeling of words I would say “Blockchain” is a 9 out of 10 while “Crypto” is a 3… PEERCOIN - THE SUSTAINABLE BLOCKCHAIN… I am probably way off but I am enjoying seeing everyone input here.

2 Likes

Just to clarify, Peerchemist said he wanted to move away from using the word crypto alone by itself. He explained that crypto has an entirely different meaning than cryptocoin for example. One is more generalized and encompasses all the scams in the industry, while the other refers to a specific type of blockchain in which the coin itself is the main focus and priority, rather than a blockchain’s capabilities. He described this type of blockchain in-depth in the second post of this thread.

The Sustainable P2P Asset I would vote for.

1 Like

Yes I read that but I have a different opinion of what “most people” understand. Depends if the slogan is going to be aimed at the masses or the people already in crypto. Nubies like me don’t know that Coin is better than Token etc. You guys are doing fine without me though so this slogan thing is not my place to comment on. Keep up the good work guys and gals.

1 Like

i do fast reading from top down i kinda get what other saying so here is my opinion:

for me, peercoin is not asset of store of value because there is no max cap supply of ppc. general ppl would think that store of value if they have limited supply or there is max cap.

so, for me ppc is money an medium of of exchange like money where govt can print them according to mathematical economical statistical physical formulations of theirs.

i think ppc should stick to money with built in store of value like bank where i can save money and get interest but the problem with bank and most ppl is bank have their fees so if i store a little i might have zero balance on my bank account because of monthly bank fees hahahaha contrary to the ppc wallet-bank where i have little but i do have chance to mint and if i dont mint, my balance is never reduce to zero because there is no fees for just store my ppc.

ok that what i think and i still formulated the slogan base on that.

1 Like

I like this point.

1 Like

Even if Peercoin is considered more than just a cryptocurrency, people might suggest the same for Bitcoin, and yet cryptocurrency is perhaps the most widely recognised term. People will search for, use and recognise “cryptocurrency” more than “cryptocoin”, though “crypto” alone is widely used. If “Cryptocoin” is used then I do think it’s best to split it into “Crypto Coin”.