Buy Physical PPCoins

Ok so idea been with me for a few months now and I have had a look around at a few possibilities for making this actually happen.

Would like to know if people would be interested in physical PPCoins similar to those physical bitcoin casascius produce https://www.casascius.com/

I have been looking into metal 3D Printers which would be an initial expensive way to create the coins but would allow further projects for PPC in the future. (3D metal printers are in the price range of $5000 to $8000 from what I have seen so far)

I feel I should state that I am only really interested in producing metal coins, I think plastic coins / tokens will look cheap and tacky

So I also looking into companies that create custom coins and that looks like an excellent cheaper option for example:

Bi Metal Commemorative Coins

100 $8.00 each
250 $5.40 each
500 $2.73 each
1000 $2.15 each
2500 $1.77 each
gets you something like this

I would obviously wait until we are finialized on the logo for PPCoin, but interested to see the communities reaction to this idea :slight_smile:

Also I am looking into the hologram stickers to be applied to the back of the coins and hold the private and public keys.

Time from sending order off to coin makers to the time I would receive the minted coins would be between 4-8 weeks depending on the company. So i’d like to see if I can get the ball rolling on this one sooner rather than later.

Please feel free to post any concerns, thoughts, suggestions etc in this thread.

FuzzyBear

Terms used in talking about coins

other related news on physical coin production:

Reserved

[quote=“Excelsior”]I’m actually very excited about this idea. And yes, I’d wait until we have a good, locked logo.

I don’t know if getting our own printer is the way to do it. I have a vague feeling that outsourcing it might end up producing a better quality coin? I could be wrong. But then again, the coins would be cheaper with our own printer, right?

I just care a lot about quality. I want it to look really good in the end, even if I have to pay a premium.

Whoever oversees this though should probably communicate with casascius for tips and pointers in how to do this well and what mistakes to avoid. His wisdom is valuable.

But yeah, this is a GREAT idea. Let’s do it![/quote]

Cool thank you for your input and feedback,

Yes I def will be waiting till the logo locked down, though may see if I can get a sample coin made up from a few different suppliers to see what their quality is like etc but i’ll be funding this out of my own pocket as its just research…

And yes I am speaking with casascius to see if they can recommend / advise me on anything :slight_smile:

Yeah I personally think quality is the key thing here… need a nice product that will last and would look good in a collector set display cabinate was my thoughts.

I think printing the coins myself would def be the cheapest way to go in the long run but I think its just too much for me individually to invest in at the moment, and there are a few other factors that I am unsure on such as running costs and material costs for the printer, also yes I am not sure what the quality will be like but the idea of a 3D printer (metal one) could really open up doors for other projects etc so I am keen to investigate this avenue…

i may do a run of a few thousand coins to start off with, (people’s thoughts on having these with something like (First Minting 2013) stamped on them??

and I think the 3D printer will most likely come later…

FuzzyBear

Great idea!

I’m also very interested in physical coins.

I’m also interested.

Yeah. We should have our own physical coins. I’m in if you get this made.

I will purchase several of these if they are made. Just bought a set of two physical LTC a day ago :stuck_out_tongue:

Any idea on denominations for the coins?

Looking good!

This is really interesting. Thank you so much for sharing the information. I never knew what a coin actually represents except the mint date.

Precious Metal Dealers

1. Nice