Build a mining rig for primecoin or litecoin?

what may I choose?

To build a mining rig for litecoin with:

Radeon 7850 @ 350 Kh/s $ 150 USD

or

To build a mining rig for primecoin with:

Core i5-3570K @ ~ 3400 PPS 1.6 chains per day $ 199 USD

What is more profitable?

I think the question of what is more profitable is too broad considering there are many variables. Are you going to be pool mining or solo mining?

Better yet, why not do both? I’m currently doing that with my gaming rig.

[quote=“ravelant, post:2, topic:991”]I think the question of what is more profitable is too broad considering there are many variables. Are you going to be pool mining or solo mining?

Better yet, why not do both? I’m currently doing that with my gaming rig.[/quote]

I’m thinking in pool mining.
For now, the both is not an option for the money that I’m able to spend.

ok …

My initial gut reaction… mine both.

then mine XPM as better coin fundamentals… but …

The GPU is probably a better investment…

Lets say you buy the CPU… you mine away for a few months… then some genius developer rleases aGPU miner for primecoin… and ur CPU is pushed out…and is not worth mining on anymore… you are forced to stop mining or to upgrade to GPU.

In 1 years time your GPU will probably have heald better value as well as opposed to the i5 which has already been replaced with the i7 and other advancements i heard about will make i5 and i7 practically obsolete.

GPU’s seem to hold value better as they wanted by many lvls of gamers and there are more than just LTC to mine on scrypt, and you’ll be ready in the waiting for a GPU primecoin miner…

Just my thoughts

Fuzzybear

[quote=“FuzzyBear, post:4, topic:991”]ok …

My initial gut reaction… mine both.

then mine XPM as better coin fundamentals… but …

The GPU is probably a better investment…

Lets say you buy the CPU… you mine away for a few months… then some genius developer rleases aGPU miner for primecoin… and ur CPU is pushed out…and is not worth mining on anymore… you are forced to stop mining or to upgrade to GPU.

In 1 years time your GPU will probably have heald better value as well as opposed to the i5 which has already been replaced with the i7 and other advancements i heard about will make i5 and i7 practically obsolete.

GPU’s seem to hold value better as they wanted by many lvls of gamers and there are more than just LTC to mine on scrypt, and you’ll be ready in the waiting for a GPU primecoin miner…

Just my thoughts

Fuzzybear[/quote]

I’m agree with you, its probably that GPU mining for XPM will arrive soon. And GPU’s mining will hold better value for now with LTC and later getting works nice with XPM mining.
Thanks!

Can I use GPU to mine for peercoin? Or must I use ASIC?

If ASIC I think most ppl can’t mine peercoin since ASIC is so expensive.

Additionally there are other altcoins that are more profitable to mine.

Protoshares for example.

[quote=“lindatess, post:7, topic:991”]Additionally there are other altcoins that are more profitable to mine.

Protoshares for example.[/quote]

Can I just use my Macbook to mine protoshares? I don’t need ASIC or GPU right?

I had a look last week, but diden’t find any GPU mining software for Primecoin. There are some drafts, but none is working? At least not on linux. Correct me, if I am wrong.

ASIC = special Hardware for mining maybe will never show up, Primecoin has not yet enought value to make special hardware for it.

So for mining primecoin in the moment you can just use your CPU. I have 3 workers on ypoo.net and I get ~0.5 XMP a day.

umlt

[quote=“umlt, post:9, topic:991”]I had a look last week, but diden’t find any GPU mining software for Primecoin. There are some drafts, but none is working? At least not on linux. Correct me, if I am wrong.

ASIC = special Hardware for mining maybe will never show up, Primecoin has not yet enought value to make special hardware for it.

So for mining primecoin in the moment you can just use your CPU. I have 3 workers on ypoo.net and I get ~0.5 XMP a day.

umlt[/quote]

Do u mean you have three computers mining it?

yes, 3 computers: my working computer, my computer at home and my server…

What mining software are you using to mine PPC and XMP?

I use jhPrimeminer for Linux for Mining on ypool.net:

Search in the Forum for more Info…

Do you guys suggest me to mine in a pool or go solo with a i7 3770k? (not overclocked)

For a single processor, the only way you will come out ahead with solo mining is if you are very lucky.

[quote=“umlt, post:13, topic:991”]I use jhPrimeminer for Linux for Mining on ypool.net:

Search in the Forum for more Info…[/quote]

I would recommend using AeroCloud’s miner with Wine over using tandyuk’s miner. Tandy’s is an older version that was ported to linux months ago and then never updated. I would only recommend tandyuk’s for macs as I have yet to find out how to get 64 bit executables to work with wine on the mac. You can find AeroCloud’s miner in the how to section of ypool.net.

What about this Linux Version off T16 v5?

I just compiled it on linux…

just to add there are LTC ASIC’s apperently coming out soon so think of this before you invest in massive GPU rigs!!

Source of info needs to be confirmed

Fuzzybear

[quote=“umlt, post:16, topic:991”]What about this Linux Version off T16 v5?

I just compiled it on linux…[/quote]

This is what I now use for Linux. I’m not really sure what the performance difference between the latest version under wine and T16 v5 natively compiled. But I think Clintar merges in changes beyond what was in the T16 v5 version also. I’d just rather have a natively compiled version than something running under wine anyways.

Unfortunately I could not get that to compile on OSX.