[BUG] Fix of Unlock for Block Minting Only Mode with GUI Send Coins

Bug has been confirmed and fix published in the repo:

https://github.com/ppcoin/ppcoin/commit/17af0bb063172835b2799a85382f6272bac51e2a

Description: When running unlock for block minting only mode, gui should ask user for passphrase when sending coins. This is additional security feature intended for block minting.

Please test with testnet to see if it fixes the issues that you have experienced.

excellent, this will mean so many more people will mint, now just need that mint now button in 0.4!!!

thanks SK

Great news. Would like to test it, but have never connected to Testnet. Is there a tutorial out there how to connect to it? I think I need a completely separate instance of PPC (with its own configuration file / blockchain) on my hard drive, am I right?

Would this fix be the foundation of cold-locked feature?

As I understood it, no, these are two different security measures.

“Unlock for block minting” allows you to maintain a encrypted hot wallet, which can be unlocked for PoS minting but will ask for your password if you try to send coins.

“Cold-locked transactions” would allow you to maintain a completely secure hot wallet without need for encryption. When sending coins to this wallet, you can specify that these coins can only be sent to a specific address (another address under your control). So it’s impossible to steal them.

So you basically would have a “hot wallet” for minting and a “cold wallet” with the address specified in the cold-locked transaction. The coins can rest on the hot wallet for minting but as they only can be sent to the cold wallet, hot wallet is secure. Cold wallet can be held in cold storage (without internet connection, on an usb stick or as a paper wallet).

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=194054.0

Mh, cannot compile it. It gives me the following error:

src/qt/transactiondesc.cpp: In static member function ‘static QString TransactionDesc::toHTML(CWallet*, CWalletTx&)’:
src/qt/transactiondesc.cpp:247:23: error: variable ‘CTxDB txdb’ has initializer but incomplete type

System is Linux 32-bit.

[quote=“d5000, post:6, topic:1355”]Mh, cannot compile it. It gives me the following error:

src/qt/transactiondesc.cpp: In static member function ‘static QString TransactionDesc::toHTML(CWallet*, CWalletTx&)’:
src/qt/transactiondesc.cpp:247:23: error: variable ‘CTxDB txdb’ has initializer but incomplete type

System is Linux 32-bit.[/quote]

That’s strange, the line was old bitcoin code. Are you using qmake and make to build qt?

Unfortunately yes, I think I did all right:

qmake "USE_UPNP=-"
make

with a little change in my makefile as the system didn’t find my db_cxx.h (added “-I /usr/include/db4” to the CXX line).

[quote=“d5000, post:8, topic:1355”]Unfortunately yes, I think I did all right:

qmake "USE_UPNP=-"
make

with a little change in my makefile as the system didn’t find my db_cxx.h (added “-I /usr/include/db4” to the CXX line).[/quote]

Was this problem specific to the new code? Is building v0.3.0 on your system alright?

I’ve downloaded the original 0.3 code again to check this. Unfortunately I get exactly the same issue :frowning:
Maybe something not right with my system.

(I had thought I had compiled 0.3 without problems, but now I have seen I have used the precompiled binary.)

i’ll see if i can build this on my Ubuntu system tonight to help test the success of the code in compiling, i’ll post results here once complete

Fuzzybear

I’m going to build it on my Mac system, too, so if I run across any issues, I’ll post them here.

Built fine on my Ubuntu system both daemon and Qt

I’ll build on windows… and i take it we want static library builds for these or have you updated the download sunny?

Fuzzybear