[Beta] New Peercoin.net

Sometimes Super3’s programming fingers get itchy and he just starts coding. Beta version of the new website is here: http://peercoin.net/beta

Please help me fix all the terrible mistakes and spelling errors:
https://github.com/super3/Peercoin.net/issues?state=open

I like the beta site a lot. I bet it appeals more to people that are not very familiar with Peercoin.
Especially nice is the eye-catcher “Sustainable. Secure. Peercoin is here.” followed by a high level explanation “Why Peercoin? …” - claiming something is one thing, explaining why another…
And I like the icons at “Original Innovation” etc. - another eye-catcher (skyrocketing innovation literally :wink: )
And I like that “Energy Efficiency” now is “Energy and Cost Efficiency” - because cost is another thing that really matters.
I like that “Innovation”, “Security” and “Efficiency” is written in bold letters - that keeps focus on what can be found at Peercoin.
I like it that the most important reasons for Innovation etc. can be read without the need to click a “read more” - you can read the basic explanation without the need to click somewhere.
And I like to see information about wallets, how to install them and Peercoin myths.
The footer looks better than before as well. I like the new color scheme (overall but in the footer as well)!

The only thing that still irritates me (in beta like the current page) is that at some places/links “ppcoin” is still in use. We might want to get rid of that, although it might look strange to find newly created sourceforge or github pages for something that claims to be more than one year old…

[ul][li]wiki: https://github.com/ppcoin/ppcoin/wiki[/li]
[li]download now: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ppcoin/files/[/li][/ul]

We need to work the text logo in there somehow.

If possible I suggest putting the Peercoin leaf, just like this one as the icon above “Energy Cost and Efficiency”.

Also try to keep that same “green color” color scheme on as much as possible (buttons links, etc.). This will help with our branding image if it is similar color scheme. Like all the green onthe Subreddit.

I have a problem with the large fonted “Why Peercoin?”

• sounds like a sales pitch
  • sounds like we’re competing against all alt coins
  • too simplistic
  • uses valuable real estate space on the page without saying something significant

(This sounds like a debatable usenet control message, for those of you old enough to understand those)

How about instead of “Why Peercoin”, use that same space to say something memorable and distinct, like “Why Peercoin can solve Bitcoin’s problems”

Or something controversial, with meaning, that slaps the visitor in the face and goes “ok, wait a minute, what did they just say? and want to read more”

Otherwise, Dogecoin could use the same title: “Why dogecoin?”

I suggest not comparing Peercoin to any other coin. I don’t think we should mention Bitcoin or other coins at all. Just clearly state what it is that Peercoin does, why it is unique innovation.

While I agree with you. Understand that a huge majority of visitors to peercoin.net and peercointalk.org will be wondering why would they invest in Peercoin over Bitcoin (Dec 2013) when Bitcoin seems to hold all the value +$600/BTC

We can pretend that no other coins matter, or they are unimportant and just promote Peercoin, but that might not be realistic in today’s new market.

While I feel uncomfortable comparing Peercoin with other coins on the one hand - including Bitcoin - I want to second ppcman’s impression on the other hand.

If someone wants to find out, why Peercoin is good, useful and much more than just a lame copy-cat coin this can only be achieved by comparing Peercoin with the rest.

I find Peercoin nothing more or less than revolutionary. But it has taken some time until I realized that. I know Bitcoin since 2011, Litecoin until early 2013 and stumbled upon Peercoin some months ago. Back then I started systematically analyzing the crypto coin market, since I detected some “problems” with future sustainabilty of all known concepts. My view was limited to PoW coins, of which almost all have been copy-cats of either Bitcoin or Litecoin.
But then I found Peercoin.

Peercoin addresses so many real and potential flaws of other coins specifically by its PoS. And although I see some future problems regarding energy consumption by the PoW I know that there are no other ways (at least not yet) to handle initial distribution.

To underline Peercoin’s uniqueness (please allow me to omit Peercoin’s copy-cats) requires comparison with other coins.
Peercoin shares all advantages of crypto coins over fiat money or other ways to store/spend money, but in difference to those Peercoin has been able to address some of their problems.

I think that is an important point that shouldn’t be ignored.
Saying “Peercoin is better than x!” is a bit smelly.
Saying “Peercoin is good/unique/innovative/necessary/[name your favoured adjective] because it addresses this and that problem of x” should be allowed.
Why else are we so fond of Peercoin?
I doubt that many of us who try to promote, develop, analyze, improve, defend and discuss Peercoin do it just because it is a random other crypto coin, but because it is in some ways superior to others.
…and it is for sure not because we prefer green leaves over cute dog faces :wink:

What about in the top left where it says Peercoin. Can we turn that into the text logo with the little leaf?

[quote=“masterOfDisaster, post:2, topic:1224”]I like the beta site a lot. I bet it appeals more to people that are not very familiar with Peercoin.
Especially nice is the eye-catcher “Sustainable. Secure. Peercoin is here.” followed by a high level explanation “Why Peercoin? …” - claiming something is one thing, explaining why another…
And I like the icons at “Original Innovation” etc. - another eye-catcher (skyrocketing innovation literally :wink: )
And I like that “Energy Efficiency” now is “Energy and Cost Efficiency” - because cost is another thing that really matters.
I like that “Innovation”, “Security” and “Efficiency” is written in bold letters - that keeps focus on what can be found at Peercoin.
I like it that the most important reasons for Innovation etc. can be read without the need to click a “read more” - you can read the basic explanation without the need to click somewhere.
And I like to see information about wallets, how to install them and Peercoin myths.
The footer looks better than before as well. I like the new color scheme (overall but in the footer as well)!

The only thing that still irritates me (in beta like the current page) is that at some places/links “ppcoin” is still in use. We might want to get rid of that, although it might look strange to find newly created sourceforge or github pages for something that claims to be more than one year old…

[ul][li]wiki: https://github.com/ppcoin/ppcoin/wiki[/li]
[li]download now: PPCoin - Browse Files at SourceForge.net. Too kind.

I can direct host the main binaries to get rid of that. Need to push Sunny King to change the repo name, although that will probably end up breaking a few things, but I think its for the best.

What about in the top left where it says Peercoin. Can we turn that into the text logo with the little leaf?[/quote]Yeah. I was thinking that too. Put in an issue.

While I agree with you. Understand that a huge majority of visitors to peercoin.net and peercointalk.org will be wondering why would they invest in Peercoin over Bitcoin (Dec 2013) when Bitcoin seems to hold all the value +$600/BTC

We can pretend that no other coins matter, or they are unimportant and just promote Peercoin, but that might not be realistic in today’s new market.[/quote]This is my reasoning as well. People are going to come to Peercoin after hearing about Bitcoin and Litecoin. We have to make a case based on that.

[quote=“ppcman, post:5, topic:1224”]I have a problem with the large fonted “Why Peercoin?”

• sounds like a sales pitch
  • sounds like we’re competing against all alt coins
  • too simplistic
  • uses valuable real estate space on the page without saying something significant

(This sounds like a debatable usenet control message, for those of you old enough to understand those)

How about instead of “Why Peercoin”, use that same space to say something memorable and distinct, like “Why Peercoin can solve Bitcoin’s problems”

Or something controversial, with meaning, that slaps the visitor in the face and goes “ok, wait a minute, what did they just say? and want to read more”

Otherwise, Dogecoin could use the same title: “Why dogecoin?”[/quote]I copied that directly for the old site…

When I opened the site on my tablet, I tried to click, swipe on the Sustainable, Secure Peercoin is here. That’s because there is no indication that there is more on the page by scrolling down. So my feedback would be to better connect that header with the rest of the page (e.g. by lowering the space between header and content as on the current site.

I also like to see a link to the faq on top menu. That’s usually the first place I would go to after the first marketing blurp on whatever site.

Directly beside downloading a wallet, I would like to see a link where to get the coins (links to the exchanges and even the latest rate in USD/EUR/BTC or one of those). Btw Having two headers saying exchanges at the bottom looks odd to me.

Just another opinion…

HI, I’m new here but have been following this forum and peercoin closely for about a month now. I’m here because peercoin is different and I believe in the change that cryptocurrencies can bring. I hope that your new website can inspire people to think the same; I think it looks more profesional and attractive. Here are some of my thoughts:

In terms of marketing I think the previous comments are correct in pointing out that there shouldn’t be any mention of other coins. Peercoin is not a copy but something unique, it is the uniqueness that must be marketed. Have you seen this Ted Talk?

This uniqueness I think goes beyond the words of “Sustainable and secure”, which something like Quarkcoin could claim. Personally, I don’t like the “Peercoin is here” which sounds a bit like it is a super hero, and I agree that the “Why Peercoin?” sounds slightly like a sales pitch. If other people are here for the same reason as me, we want to see peercoin as a technological revolution that will benefit people. I don’t know how but I htink there is room for something subtle of this nature.

Speaking about the graphic design (my girlfriend is a graphic designer and these are her ideas):

On the initial page, as the background is “blackened” by the shadow, she feels that the “identity” of peercoin, the logo, is hidden (especially the leaf, which denotes to its sustainable nature). This isn’t the case on the current website. She suggests (jsut a quick idea off the top of her head) that you could make the logo smaller and place it below the writing and, of course, in full colour (not under the shadow). In general, she likes the “clean” look, and she tells me that these scrolling websites are currently the fashion. For me however, it wasn’t immediately clear that I needed to scroll down. With my resolution the I could see down to the “Why Peercoin?” but not below.

I hope this helps :slight_smile: please feel free to view my comments critically

Seconding this. My laptop screen folders the “Why Peercoin?” section.

I also feel like the “Sustainable. Secure. Peercoin is here.” should be sitting a little lower so it’s centred vertically as well as horizontally on the coin. Compare - http://i.imgur.com/4tSLUVZ.png - with - http://i.imgur.com/AoNSCu6.png

Edit: Forgot to say, otherwise it looks terrific! Good job!

Looks very nice! Good job :slight_smile:

super3, great job! Looks better than the current website.

As you might see, I’m member since today on this forum. The reason is because I want to be more close to the community and the coin. After studying all coins in the past month or two (I’m quite new to cryptocurrency) I think that Peercoin is a really great coin and better than most other cryptocurrencies.

I’m a designer / front-end developer and when I saw the design I thought “Really well done”. Great colours, nice overview of features and not too much information. But noticed some things around the site and couldn’t resist it to open up Photoshop with a clean document tried to make your awesome design even a bit better.

The last thing I want to do is teach you a lesson. I just want to give a helping hand to this community and working with y’all to make Peercoin even greater than it is now. I hope you all appreciate my help and I think my skills might come (a little bit) in handy to make Peercoin even more known by people and tell what great coin it is. I don’t have much Peercoins because I didn’t jumped in that early but I don’t care, I want to do something for this community and will buy some more when my salary is transferred, hehe :slight_smile:

The redefined design: http://d.pr/i/i03l

Different from the design of super3:

[ul][li]- added tagline below logo[/li]
[li]- changed font-weight of menu[/li]
[li]- changed the header a bit and added buttons[/li]
[li]- improved the “Why Peercoin” below header[/li]
[li]- changed the font-size of the 3 text boxes below header and improved some alignment[/li]
[li]- YouTube video is larger now with a 100% grey background[/li]
[li]- removed borders at FAQ bars[/li]
[li]- added dark background behind the 3 image-circles[/li][/ul]

super3: If you need any help maybe I can be your guy. My expertises are design, front-end development, search engine optimization and online marketing. Let me know if I can help you with anything.

Wow, that was almost a novel. Thanks for reading and hope you like it.
Cheers!

EDIT: I also own the domain peercoins.nl so it would be nice to have the same site, but translated in Dutch, on each domain I think? (:

In the mining section at the bottom there is only 3 pools listed and nothing that really describes the mining itself, how pools work, how to setup pools, and general information for the less technical to understand the mining process. If that is just a link to the mining section of the forums then that is fine but the more information available that is not forum digging the more people will get interested. The page is good but if the page has built in information laddering you can get information out to the level the person is interested in without the steep curve.

Just a thought and suggestion. take it as you like :slight_smile:

CoinBadger

[quote=“CoinBadger, post:16, topic:1224”]In the mining section at the bottom there is only 3 pools listed and nothing that really describes the mining itself, how pools work, how to setup pools, and general information for the less technical to understand the mining process. If that is just a link to the mining section of the forums then that is fine but the more information available that is not forum digging the more people will get interested. The page is good but if the page has built in information laddering you can get information out to the level the person is interested in without the steep curve.

Just a thought and suggestion. take it as you like :slight_smile:

CoinBadger[/quote]

Agree, I would also suggest a link to proof of stake minting. That is what sets Peercoin aside from most of the other cryptos.

It looks like the main Peercoin background image (the coin logo) is slightly askew to the left (not centered) of the text below (Why Peercoin). Centering this would have a better aesthetic effect. Could be just me or my browser.

super3, great job! Looks better than the current website.

As you might see, I’m member since today on this forum. The reason is because I want to be more close to the community and the coin. After studying all coins in the past month or two (I’m quite new to cryptocurrency) I think that Peercoin is a really great coin and better than most other cryptocurrencies.

I’m a designer / front-end developer and when I saw the design I thought “Really well done”. Great colours, nice overview of features and not too much information. But noticed some things around the site and couldn’t resist it to open up Photoshop with a clean document tried to make your awesome design even a bit better.

The last thing I want to do is teach you a lesson. I just want to give a helping hand to this community and working with y’all to make Peercoin even greater than it is now. I hope you all appreciate my help and I think my skills might come (a little bit) in handy to make Peercoin even more known by people and tell what great coin it is. I don’t have much Peercoins because I didn’t jumped in that early but I don’t care, I want to do something for this community and will buy some more when my salary is transferred, hehe :slight_smile:

The redefined design: http://d.pr/i/i03l

Different from the design of super3:

[ul][li]- added tagline below logo[/li]
[li]- changed font-weight of menu[/li]
[li]- changed the header a bit and added buttons[/li]
[li]- improved the “Why Peercoin” below header[/li]
[li]- changed the font-size of the 3 text boxes below header and improved some alignment[/li]
[li]- YouTube video is larger now with a 100% grey background[/li]
[li]- removed borders at FAQ bars[/li]
[li]- added dark background behind the 3 image-circles[/li][/ul]

super3: If you need any help maybe I can be your guy. My expertises are design, front-end development, search engine optimization and online marketing. Let me know if I can help you with anything.

Wow, that was almost a novel. Thanks for reading and hope you like it.
Cheers!

EDIT: I also own the domain peercoins.nl so it would be nice to have the same site, but translated in Dutch, on each domain I think? (:[/quote]Damn! That is even slicker. We might just have the best looking coin website after we get this out.

I would like to see javascript removed from the front page because I have javadcript deactivated by my browser (which is a very good idea when doing general browsing).
If you link the page to google-analytics and youtube, visitors from some of the countries (notablly China) will have problem displaying your page because those sites cannot be accessed.

Slickness shouldn’t be a high prirority for the main peercoin site. Peercoin stands for financial security. The crowd it attracts perhaps feel better when seeing a clean, modest, functional, professional-looking site.